Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Congratulations to my local brewery Surrey Hills on their recent win

I do like the odd Shere Drop but also been enjoying these from Tesco. The 1st one is brewed for them. Both lovely and juicy and ideal for when the weather improves:oops: !

Attachments

• 20190527_194544.jpg
    20190527_194544.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190601_191839.jpg
    20190601_191839.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 16
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I really must try some of those Surrey Hills beers, especially as we live in the borough, it would be rude not to(y):) Trouble is we dont get out to pubs that often thesedays, and when we do I am driving mostly.
We love to go to our old favourite gastro pub The Jolly Farmer in Bramley, Surrey(near Guildford) as they have host beers and fantastic food,its worth the journey if any haven't tried it yet.(y)

I thought I had picked up a couple of my "on trend with me" beers in Sainsburys a few nights back, so placed what I thought were two bottles of Erdinger White beers in the trolley.
It was only when unpacking at home that OH pointed out that they were indeed Premium Franzishaner Weissbiers , well the bottles look similar.

Having chilled in fridge,opened one and delicately poured it into a chalice shaped glass, which takes time and patience. The result....... it was beautiful, so much so that I am enjoying the second bottle right now(y):D
I am not sure if Lidl sell these now and again, but they priced at £1.80 each in Sainsburys, and well worth every penny.
I think someone may have also mentioned this beer a few posts back, I will go see if thats the case.
Cheers to all.
Les

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Les, I also like the Franziskaner Weissbier, and often see it In Aldi. Lidl sell one called Perlenbacher Weissbier which is also quite pallatable, however if touring Germany, it can be had for €0.25 per 500ml bottle plus pfand (bottle tax which is refundable). ;) For me, it's as nice as Erdinger.

Cheers :drink:

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Here's another from Lidl, but only at certain times of the year. Again, very palatable. (y)

IMG_20190814_182821.jpg

They also do a similar branded beer called Bier Fest, which is more like a Pilsner, also best served chilled.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Here is the list of every Wheat Beer I have had since 2007, there are a few.

Good grief Ralph. :Eeek: There are a lot of Wheat Beers in your link, which I have never seen before, let alone taste.
I think the Graffenwalden is the Aldi brand. I personally don't think it's a nice as the Perlenbacher from Lidl.
The Erdinger Dunkel (dark) is my favourite, but I can't always seem to find it when in Germany.
Once when at Sankt Goar, on the Rhine, the Bierhaus had neither Heffe or Dunkel, but did offer a Krystal Weissbier, which just looked like a lager, but with the same lovely flavour as the Heffe. :)

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Good grief Ralph. :Eeek: There are a lot of Wheat Beers in your link, which I have never seen before, let alone taste.
I think the Graffenwalden is the Aldi brand. I personally don't think it's a nice as the Perlenbacher from Lidl.
The Erdinger Dunkel (dark) is my favourite, but I can't always seem to find it when in Germany.
Once when at Sankt Goar, on the Rhine, the Bierhaus had neither Heffe or Dunkel, but did offer a Krystal Weissbier, which just looked like a lager, but with the same lovely flavour as the Heffe. :)

I do like Wheat Beers

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I really must try some of those Surrey Hills beers, especially as we live in the borough, it would be rude not to(y):) Trouble is we dont get out to pubs that often thesedays, and when we do I am driving mostly.
We love to go to our old favourite gastro pub The Jolly Farmer in Bramley, Surrey(near Guildford) as they have host beers and fantastic food,its worth the journey if any haven't tried it yet.(y)

I thought I had picked up a couple of my "on trend with me" beers in Sainsburys a few nights back, so placed what I thought were two bottles of Erdinger White beers in the trolley.
It was only when unpacking at home that OH pointed out that they were indeed Premium Franzishaner Weissbiers , well the bottles look similar.

Having chilled in fridge,opened one and delicately poured it into a chalice shaped glass, which takes time and patience. The result....... it was beautiful, so much so that I am enjoying the second bottle right now(y):D
I am not sure if Lidl sell these now and again, but they priced at £1.80 each in Sainsburys, and well worth every penny.
I think someone may have also mentioned this beer a few posts back, I will go see if thats the case.
Cheers to all.
Les

No matter if you are driving they do take outs in 2 and 4 pint milk containers. Dirt cheap as well. Just behind Denbies vineyard

If you do come to Dorking, there is a great micro pub in town call Cobbetts who also do draught take outs in milk containers. And on the way back you can pop into the Hogs Back Brewery !

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
No matter if you are driving they do take outs in 2 and 4 pint milk containers. Dirt cheap as well. Just behind Denbies vineyard

If you do come to Dorking, there is a great micro pub in town call Cobbetts who also do draught take outs in milk containers. And on the way back you can pop into the Hogs Back Brewery !
I like the idea of "Take Outs" I think a lot pubs used to offer those when I was a kid, then the infamous Party 7evens where introduced:eek: then Ind Coope "Long Life Beer":eek:its no wonder that so many of mates started drinking Brown Ale, and Light & Bitters in those days:D
I know The Hogs Back Brewery well as its not far from us, surprisingly small with scruffy exterior, but their "Tea" beer does not impress me, sadly, over a good London Pride.
I have been to Denbies Vineyard a couple of times, would you believe for business seminars, nice venue I remember,they had a 3D cinema showing grape vines over the four seasons but only overpriced white wines were on offer at the time:D
Found Cobbets on Google earth, in Wescott Street,Dorking, took some zooming in, blink and you will miss it! but I will make a bee line for it next time.
I think I will have to drift over Dorking way more often, there are so many great places to see, and I love a walk up the high street, and the views when in The Surrey Hills.
Thanks for the tips, there are so many great pubs in Surrey that are still independent, and we are spoilt for choice from the offerings they have on tap.
Just need some nice late summer weather to sit in their beer gardens and enjoy the views.
Suburban Surrey is a lovely green leafy place to live, but since getting the van, we seem to spend more time outside it to discoverer other places in the UK.
I will just have to imagine I am on a Beer trail of discovery:D

Les

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I have now taken the advice of a the few that like wheat beers from Lidl and today purchased a sample bottle of Patronus Weissbier from Lidl priced at £1.35.
Looks & pours the same as Erdinger & Franzishaner Weissbier, however its not quite as good. Its hard to describe the difference but it tastes thinner, like there is one element missing, if you get my drift, despite it being 5.5% it just doesn't somehow hit the spot.
Had to careful though as they were placed on the shelf in Lidl right next to The Patronus Alcohol Free Beer !!!:eek::eek:but luckily even without my reading glasses on I sussed it!(y)
PS: the tinned Weissbier that JockandRita mentioned was not available today, but I did look for it, funny how some things are easily remembered at crucial times:D
Cheers everyone.

Les

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Patronus Weissbier from Lidl priced at £1.35.

1566194067382.png

I've not noticed that brand name myself Les. :whatthe: I might give it a try.

PS: the tinned Weissbier that @JockandRita mentioned was not available today, but I did look for it,
This is the one Les, which with it's Festbier Pilsner cousin, only come into the stores once or twice a year.

1566194579278.png
1566194602572.png

These are the ones I look out for, which are more popular in Germany itself, though I have found the tin on the left, in stores in Spain and Italy, in areas which are popular with German tourists.

1566194383390.png
1566194421496.png
1566194846137.png

This is the Aldi one, available in UK stores, with the Karlskrone usually only available in German stores, and in my opinion, not as nice as the Lidl equivalent. ;)

1566194744605.png
1566195024702.png

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Been looking for a decent alcohol free / low alcohol beer, so far without much success.
Yesterday tried the brewdog offering, definitely the least like real beer I have tried. Looks like lucozade and tastes like elderflower fizz. Its actually quite a pleasant drink but not beer like. Hoping today to get some St Peters Without and Karma, both of which have been recommended but not commonly stocked.
Harveys Best bitter low alcohol is about the best I've found so far, but probably only available in Sussex.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Been looking for a decent alcohol free / low alcohol beer, so far without much success.
Yesterday tried the brewdog offering, definitely the least like real beer I have tried. Looks like lucozade and tastes like elderflower fizz. Its actually quite a pleasant drink but not beer like. Hoping today to get some St Peters Without and Karma, both of which have been recommended but not commonly stocked.
Harveys Best bitter low alcohol is about the best I've found so far, but probably only available in Sussex.

Not "Real Ales" I know, but the German ones are very popular, and taste as good as the the alcoholic ales.
1566198581623.png

Available from Beerhawk.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Beers that are 8% and above are the bane of my life, I now have a fridge absolutely full of them, I have been buying beers drinking the ordinary ones and putting the strong ones in the fridge for later, it must be later soon.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Just got back from a short holiday in France, I had plenty of new beers and most of them were very good but it will take me a few days to do the write ups, or maybe longer as I am off again soon.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Well I have eventually got around to starting on blogs for the beers I had in France, will try and get a few done before I am off again.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'm sorry but I can't contribute to this thread as I don't like beer. And yes, I am serious. I don't like lager either and my brother is the same. Do like whisky, vodka, wine and various other alcoholic drinks. It's a strange old world ain't it ;)

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I'm sorry but I can't contribute to this thread as I don't like beer. And yes, I am serious. I don't like lager either and my brother is the same. Do like whisky, vodka, wine and various other alcoholic drinks. It's a strange old world ain't it ;)
Everyone to there own, I can not drink spirits, I did many years ago but not anymore.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Recently I have been back to Crete and as last year I had a few new beers, all Greek and mostly quite good.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
As it is Christmas, here is a list of the beers brewed especially for Christmas that I have had since 2008. Some of them have been really good, others very ordinary.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
This has got to be my favourite take abroad with me beer ,it travels really well but never seems to last very long ?
6C7308CC-2B10-4E6D-B944-FDBCFCA6E938.jpeg

Attachments

• 7DBC6C1A-63BD-4DDD-B0DC-9645B50362CE.jpeg
    7DBC6C1A-63BD-4DDD-B0DC-9645B50362CE.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
  • A23E09DB-8665-454B-BABD-1BCC24190C49.jpeg
    A23E09DB-8665-454B-BABD-1BCC24190C49.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I had an awful lot of Christmas Beers this year, some were wonderful but some were very ordinary indeed. Because I had so many new beers (in fact there still a few to drink), I have split this review into several parts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back