You couldn't make it up. (1 Viewer)

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Hi all.
Some of you may know that I had a problem with the radio in my 2012 Boxer.

Initially the right hand front speakers cut out intermittently.
In an effort to track down the fault I removed the radio.
As I was removing the plug the 7.5 amp fuse blew, then whenI plugged it back in the radio heated up, a lot, and refused to work.

My dealer acquired a used unit (because the radio wasn't covered by the warranty but we'd only had the van a few weeks) got it recoded and fitted it for me.

The right speakers still had the intermittent fault.

However, in my infinite wisdom, I decided that the front panel of the original radio (the nice shiny lump of plastic, specifically contoured to fit the dash) was in better condition than that of the replacement.
I experimented with the old one and, with the judicious use of a couple of thin screwdrivers, was able to remove the panel in a couple of minutes.

Then the fun started.
I removed the panel from the functional radio and replaced it with the shinier one.

Plugged everything back in,, there was a popping sound from the speaker and the radio powered up, the display worked, the tuner worked, but there was no sound and the damn thing got, almost, too hot to touch.

I'll confess that I didn't disconnect the battery first but I've changed radios in cars in the past using the same method, just leaving the ignition turned off.

Now I have a dilemma.
Obviously, I can't (daren't) go back to the stealer with the same issue.
I can buy another radio- I was wanting to upgrade anyway- but now I'm scared to plug another one in, incase I have the same problem.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Intermittent fault in the speaker wiring which changed its characteristics when the dealer changed the radio and re-occurred when you changed the front panel?

My thoughts point to the speaker and/or its wiring as that failed initially and remained faulty with the new radio. Perhaps its wiring is in contact with something else? That would be where I investigated first.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If the radio is getting very hot that would point me to a short - as it happened on both units the fault is almost certainly in the wiring. Maybe a faulty connector plug or even plugged into wrong sockets?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I'm suspecting that the fascia panel from the original could be faulty.
The replacement radio was fine (apart from the speaker issue) until I got my grubby mitts on it.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
If the radio is getting very hot that would point me to a short - as it happened on both units the fault is almost certainly in the wiring. Maybe a faulty connector plug or even plugged into wrong sockets?

The plug terminals all appear to be in good condition and can't be connected wrongly.
There is no sign of any burn mark.
And I'd definitely go with a short somewhere.
I haven't yet had a chance to check it out properly.
I think there may be some issue with the speaker wiring but can't for the life of me understand how or why the same fault could occur twice under virtually the same circumstances.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm suspecting that the fascia panel from the original could be faulty.
The replacement radio was fine (apart from the speaker issue) until I got my grubby mitts on it.
Coincidence. The wiring to the speaker has got a short on it. The unit getting hot would be the audio amplifier IC, they are usually bolted onto the casing to keep cool. If you can solder they are usually no more that 5 quid (y)

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Coincidence. The wiring to the speaker has got a short on it. The unit getting hot would be the audio amplifier IC, they are usually bolted onto the casing to keep cool. If you can solder they are usually no more that 5 quid (y)

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
h
It's definitely the amplifier that's getting hot.
I'm going to check out/ replace the speaker wiring when I get the chance, before I do anything else.
The biggest problem is, silly season has just started at work so I'll not have much time off at home and we're taking the moho to Spain in just over a month.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
May I suggest that you disconnect the speaker and test it with another sound source. Then if all is well introduce a few inline fuses, I do not like the idea of things getting hot for electrical un-fused cables getting hot could cause major damage.
You are also trusting that bought connectors are not wrongly assembled.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I
May I suggest that you disconnect the speaker and test it with another sound source. Then if all is well introduce a few inline fuses, I do not like the idea of things getting hot for electrical un-fused cables getting hot could cause major damage.

No need to fuse the speaker cable, it's protected by the stereo fuse. Also I'd measure the speaker resistance before blowing any more amplifiers up :D2

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I

No need to fuse the speaker cable, it's protected by the stereo fuse. Also I'd measure the speaker resistance before blowing any more amplifiers up :D2

There aren't any bought connectors, it's all the original wiring.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Sorted.
I bit the bullet and bought a new radio from Halfrauds and a fascia plate from the bay.
Halfords was the cheapest place I could find, and I got another 10% off with a voucher from the AA.
IMG_20190515_125634.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back