LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
As some of you might know I’ve just had an attempt at stealing my Suzuki Inazuma the damage leading to a write off situation and an increase of my insurance premiums on the rest of my vehicles when they renew.

So what I want to do is ask all you good people about CCTV Cameras and recording equipment so I can at least hopefully get a video of the perpetrator and possibly help the police catch the buggers.
I’ve been looking around and the prices and quality seems to vary greatly.

I’m sure some of you will have had these installed and which ones you went for and why, or perhaps why you would not go for the one you installed.

I’m looking for one which is great at night vision at a distance and has a good resolution and one I can monitor when I’m away from home.
I’ve been looking at one called Swan like this

which has four cameras but is very expensive, but having said that if it stops them then it might be worth biting the bullet.
Or perhaps the Netgear Arlo 2 pro wireless system seems easier to install with no wires to run but only records at 1080p.

https://www.arlo.com/uk/products/ar...MIpKqElbXY2QIV7bXtCh0HKgGTEAAYASAAEgJaMPD_BwE

Any info and help on this will be much appreciated.
Best Wishes Tony

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was Going to post a "still" from one of mine it is a 1080p HD and normally has a extremely good IR pic. But at this point in time because of its location it is "blathered" by Driving Rain and I can hardly see anything!!.:(

upload_2018-3-6_20-22-27.jpeg

Above is an Older 780P fixed camera on my driveway Not Wireless though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
After my car was broken into at night whilst parked on driveway at front of house,we thought about cctv. Decided against it when somebody said “all that does is tell them you’ve got something worth stealing”.
Decided to put in a burglar alarm.
Haven’t had any further problems,but neighbours without alarms have been broken into,and cars entered.

Personally,if I had the technical know-how I would install a system that lets the bastards in,but then fries them and they can’t get away,then I feed them to the pigs.

I think it’s worth using an experienced security company,but I don’t know any near you.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
It won't stop them if they want it. It will just make them dress appropriately.
Yes I do realize that they will do that but it's just another way of giving me a false sense of security, and you never know they might be just stupid enough to not cover their faces or have distinctive dress on, but I won’t hold my breath on that one.
Best wishes Tony

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
A friend of our's had a very very expensive alarm system fitted to his factory, He asked the installers for a price for cctv as well, the reply was " We will give you a price & fit, if you want video of hooded low life, but dont expect a prosecution on the video evidence"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Steer clear of the cheap eBay ones and cheap Swan ones. I have an eBay one and my neighbor has a Swan we both had have similar problems, recordeders have a few bugs and the infrared LEDs in the cameras are over driven and start failing after a few months.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
First right at the moment I would not spend that kind of money with Maplins, just a personal view. If you are looking for a deterrent then good quality empty boxes and PIR controlled lights will do just as well. If you want evidential records that can be used in court then first speak to Mr Plod about what they need to be able to use it. The depressing reality is that in general if the thieves want your stuff the professionals will get it almost come what may. Decent preventative security will keep away the casual thief because he knows some one up the street will be easier to rob than you. As for alarms most are ignored until any ill doer has finished his job and left.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you are looking for a deterrent then good quality empty boxes and PIR controlled lights will do just as wel
@maxi77
Hi is the boxes for, for the thief to trip over or what, and please do not use acronyms I know it makes the typing easier and shorter but if the recipient does not know what the acronym means then it of little help.

Many Thanks Tony

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
PIR Passive infrared Or some such. ability to "see" in the night!. Body heat sensing trigger the security lights for example. The one (camera) in my earlier post is backed up by a Spotlight triggered by I-R. "Professional" scum know all the tricks, But it is still a deterrent and discourages the Casual/Vandal.

Front Cam.jpg

That`s the quality of the Newest camera BTW.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought a four camera Swann system and it works fine, and can be viewed on-line. With one exception. I want to record only when movement is detected and it "detects" movement when the light level changes such as clouds crossing the sun. There is a special masking feature that only lets the detection software consider the parts of the picture to be checked for movement. However, even masking everything down to the smallest part of the picture still causes false recording when it is sunny and cloudy. This results in LOTS of files you have to trawl through to find any activity you might want to review.

Swann has not returned any of my emails asking for help. You might want to consider this and test it out before the returns policy of your supplier expires, like it did for me.

I hid my cameras.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
That`s the quality of the Newest camera BTW.
Hi Peter that is a great clear picture, is there any chance of seeing an night time pic from the camera, and as someone else has already asked what camera is it?
Many Thanks Tony

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If you are going to take the trouble to fit a system get the highest resolution you can afford.

The HIKvision equipment is very good.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I bought a four camera Swann system and it works fine, and can be viewed on-line. With one exception. I want to record only when movement is detected and it "detects" movement when the light level changes such as clouds crossing the sun. There is a special masking feature that only lets the detection software consider the parts of the picture to be checked for movement. However, even masking everything down to the smallest part of the picture still causes false recording when it is sunny and cloudy. This results in LOTS of files you have to trawl through to find any activity you might want to review.

Swann has not returned any of my emails asking for help. You might want to consider this and test it out before the returns policy of your supplier expires, like it did for me.

I hid my cameras.

I suspect any system that does not use some form of infra red detection system is going to suffer from the problem. They use the fact that a pixel or number of pixels change from frame to frame to determine that something has moved. This technology has been around for many years, I first saw it as part of a system to allow decent quality TV to be sent down telephone lines back in the 80s. With some decent quality image processing what you want could be possible but it would probably cost more than the Maplin gear the OP was looking at. On the other hand sensors such as used in alarm systems could be used to trigger the system much more simply and affordably

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate

Your right as I understand it they are in the hands of the receiver,
I did not put that link in the post to say I was thinking of buying from them, it was just the make of security camera system I was asking about, so to everyone who thought I was thinking of buying from Maplins, I wasn't.
Best Wishes Tony

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Tony,

The Arlo systems are quite good bits of kit but they do have a few issues. Firstly, the battery life is advertised as upwards of 6-months but there have been cases where the battery has died after a week because the camera unit was positioned in a location which recorded high footfall numbers.

Also, you may need to retain easy access to the unit for when the batteries expire so placing the camera too high can become a right pain in the arse for those with mobility restrictions.

That said, they do make a very slight whining noise when on record so at least the baddies will know that the top of their baseball caps are being filmed :D

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
The Arlo systems are quite good bits of kit but they do have a few issues. Firstly, the battery life is advertised as upwards of 6-months but there have been cases where the battery has died after a week because the camera unit was positioned in a location which recorded high footfall numbers.
Hi Andrew thanks for that, I thought I read somewhere that you can now power the camera from the mains using a power adapter to keep the battery fully charged, but I might of been mistaken.
Best Wishes Tony

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew thanks for that, I thought I read somewhere that you can now power the camera from the mains using a power adapter to keep the battery fully charged, but I might of been mistaken.
Best Wishes Tony

That's right Tony, you can power them directly if you use the extra power leads. I can't recall if they are included in the kit, sorry.(y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We fitted a Swan 1080 I think with a hard drive about 2 years ago still working ok but as @Lenny HB said they are better systems about this cost was £340 and is hard wired.
You can only do so much without it taking over your life, one other thing you may consider is a trip wire with a cartridge on the end that would make them jump.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You can only do so much without it taking over your life, one other thing you may consider is a trip wire with a cartridge on the end that would make them jump
I’m not sure the council would approve, I live in a housing association flat, but believe me if I could get away with it I would. LOL

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Hi @Brakers We purchased the YALE 1080p HD system.

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk.../smart-cctv-range/smart-cctv-4-camera-hd1080/

We got the 4 camera hard drive with 1TB storage, we only purchased the system with 2 cameras but will add 2 more cameras when we get the chance. The night vision is very good, yet distance may be an issue, you need to consider factors which may affect the cameras performace in night mode, ie street lighint etc.

I am very pleased with ours. I agree with others that it wont STOP a theft but at least you can look back and see what takes place, not knowing is frustrating !!

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
To add to my last post .. ..

Just this week I came home to find coffee cups thrown onto the path outside our house, knowing that it was done within an hours time frame, I looked back on the camera to see a car driving past, passenger window came down and threw the cups straight out :mad:

I traced the car around the block and duly desposited their rubbish under their windscreen wipers.

My cameras are angled onto my property yet the viewing angle picks up the street also, without looking onto the neighbours

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I put one of these on show where it can be seen, on my property, as you approach my entrance door. There is a second in the kitchen window in an area where uninvited "guests" should not be.

Amazon product ASIN B00YSQ5NTA
People do see the sign as it has generated questions from neighbours (friendly and otherwise)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Peter that is a great clear picture, is there any chance of seeing an night time pic from the camera, and as someone else has already asked what camera is it?
Many Thanks Tony

Amazon product ASIN B076MS5YSS
Hi. This is what I have, its quite good quality. HOWEVER. I would warn that:- 1) it is not Wireless. (there is I thinks a WiFi version at obviously extra cost) 2) It is POE (power over Ethernet) which requires a POE adapter, OR what is called a POE NVR (NVR is a Network Video Recorder) which retail in excess of 150quid. 3) the available (free) software to run it is not the best. And I am currently looking at upgrading mine which is going to add extra cost.

I wanted to extend my system, following a spate of local Vandalism, during which an object was thrown at the Motorhome, requiring a small fill and paint Job.

The "new" M-H arrived home yesterday. And awaits loading, after It has been on the weighbridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back