Rally Chat Yorkshire wartime experience. (1 Viewer)

richie777

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
many
Hi Folks I am from the RV site just want to know if any of you are interested in this possible meet.
I went last year it was great, for any of you that went to Burtonwood, this is ten times bigger, have a look on the link and make a comment. you can arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Monday/ Tuesday. have a look at the camping link 2 adults & 2 Children plus camping plus admission everyday its a bargain, the chap who is running it, is after about how many would like to go. So please have a look make a comment ask questions and I will find out the answers, just to let you know the bandit from RV site is going, Thanks Richie.

Yorkshire Wartime Experience
nelz60.moonfruit.com/

Charlie635

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
Stockport
Funster No
MH
CI CARIOCA
Exp
1 Year
Looks like a great weekend, duly noted in the diary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Bummer, we're in France that week as that looked a really good event.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Yes we would be interested if nothing conflicts! thanks for that

Andrea & Jeff

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
We're hoping to come too, have pencilled the dates in me trusty mobile calendar (y) you've already got me & Jim listed as interested on the RVOC thread Richie, thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
have a look on the link and make a comment.
nelz60.moonfruit.com/

"Fun day out for all the Family".

Not the comment you want, but between 50,000,000 and 80,000,000 people died.

"1.Tanks in action
2.Living History Displays
3.Battle reenactments"

1. So we'll see huge explotions as the tank shells hit. We'll smell burning bodies as a tank is hit.

2. We'll see people stood outside what was left of their homes and family after a bomb hits.

3. We'll see bodies blown to pieces. Men screaming in agony praying for death.

I don't think war was ever FUN. Ask all the ex-military folk in here, "Did you have FUN ? Did you enjoy seeing your mates die ?"

Sorry for the negative post but it seems so wrong to call war fun.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
"Fun day out for all the Family".

Not the comment you want, but between 50,000,000 and 80,000,000 people died.

"1.Tanks in action
2.Living History Displays
3.Battle reenactments"

1. So we'll see huge explotions as the tank shells hit. We'll smell burning bodies as a tank is hit.

2. We'll see people stood outside what was left of their homes and family after a bomb hits.

3. We'll see bodies blown to pieces. Men screaming in agony praying for death.

I don't think war was ever FUN. Ask all the ex-military folk in here, "Did you have FUN ? Did you enjoy seeing your mates die ?"

Sorry for the negative post but it seems so wrong to call war fun.

As a reenactor and participant in Living History displays, WW2 related, all be it Home Front based now...........I'd certainly like to say that in the 13 years I've been involved in the hobby, I've probably only met less than a handful of re-enacting folk who thought war was fun.

Amoungst our number, there are both ex and still serving service personel, who, along with the majority of non served folk, portray/depict their chosen 'combatant' with accuracy and dedication,.......to get the details etc, right.

In show situations, 'we' are judged, at times by veterans who 'did it for real',............again something most of us don't forget; (at the end of a weekend, we can get out of soggy khaki, and shower etc,). In very mant cases friendships are formed with these veterans, who, at times allow us the privilidge of hearing rememberances that even their wives/children/carers have not heard.

Yes, tanks in action..............firing blank 'bangs'
yes, living history displays,.........you'd be amazed by the number of folk who
don't know the wartime ration a household was entitled too
yes, battle reenactments,.........any gunfire are 'blanks', yes participants are
seen to 'die',........in itself a good teaching tool, to (try) teach guns aren't
toys.

History, isn't something that can be air-brushed away, (however much the education system has tried to do, recently) and its not nice and certainly not pretty..........BUT, wars do happen, and yes, unfortunately people die.
Reenactors/living history participants feel this and are very careful, to NOT give credence to the glorification of death.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(at the end of a weekend, we can get out of soggy khaki, and shower etc,). In very many cases friendships are formed with these veterans, who, at times allow us the privilidge of hearing rememberances that even their wives/children/carers have not heard.

That's not what nags me and for you it must be a wonderful meaningful experience, it's the message mainly to the kids. Worst of all right now they tuned into war as fun, I know my grandson is, and I know they are not going to leave one of these highly entertaining events with any sense of "war isn't fun". They should leave crying, frightened because sure as hell that is what it must be like for real, mercifully I have no first hand experience of this.

I have a relative who organised the IWM Manchester WW1 exhibition, I left that with the feeling that it showed some guns, it showed some shelled houses but it did not convey the real horror at all.

So as I said, I apologise for being negative, I just think it's time to end wars by any means possible.

And as an after thought, look at the Muslim kids, itching to go to the glory of war. Same as we brainwashed our kids 100 years ago.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
And 113 reportedly killed by IS for wanting to come back!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Brian,
I can see where you are coming from with your reasoning,.............far be it for me to denounce it; (unfortunately, that IS how some wars were started........!)

To my mind, and ok I do not have children, although I have been involved in school visits, and education days involving younger people and the subject WW2.

YES, there is ALWAYS going to be the 'fascination' amoungst mainly the lads,.....which I'm thinking, can be chased back to (playing cowboys and Indians, in my time :xsmile:) watching the TV/playing computer games, most of which glorify the use of/the carrying of guns...........and to some extent, other lethal instruments to do harm to others with.

During my time with school visits, which were worked out and 'scripted' with teacher in charge,.......and in one case after a letter had been sent to each pupils parents giving them the chance to raise any concerns etc, as part of the 'kit' I would take along, there would be guns...........(portraying a British Infantryman of 1939 - 45 period, it was part of his personal equipment, just as much as his gas mask and waterbottle)

A lot of the 'fascination' evaporated when after allowing the bolt on the rifle/bren gun to be pulled back, thus 'cocking it',......after making sure it wasn't pointed at anyone, allowing another pupil to 'pull the trigger'; Obviously no BANG, etc...........But, in nearly all cases, the very sobering thought conveyed away by those same pupils who there excited to be allowed to handle said
gun(s)....when they realised that, had it been for real, they could very well have ended another persons life !

This is where Education and Living History/Reenactors can become bedfellows............History (unfortunately) repeats itself, and if there's a way of breaking the cycle of young (mainly)men being sucked into the idea of the idea its macho to run around with guns, etc, surely that's got to be a starting point, hasn't it ?

The group I enact with, for the last two years have built a depiction of a bombed house, and the group, who depict shopkeepers and general towns folk, along with representations of small village shops,........anoungst those good folk, who, as in the real period, also become Home Guard/Auxillary Fireman (and ladies) Fire Watchers and ARP; This is where the bombed house depiction comes in..........Yes we depict the 'rescue' of a 'family' 'trapped' in their home......based on as many accounts and pictures we can find....using the equipment that was used 'for real' during those dark days.......BUT Glorifying it ?......NO ! nothing could be further from the truth.

Sorry for going on, but like you, Brian, I'm passionate about getting the right message 'out there'; WAR isn't Glorious OR Fun! (so I guess we DO agree,........just in different ways, but then again, that's OK. :xThumb:)

Andy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry for going on, but like you, Brian, I'm passionate about getting the right message 'out there'; WAR isn't Glorious OR Fun! (so I guess we DO agree,........just in different ways, but then again, that's OK. :xThumb:)
Andy

Sorry ? What for ? I've had a bit of a rant, you've put forwards your side that is very convincing to me, so I'll shut up so that those folk who want to go and have an enjoyable meet can do so.

At least I am consistent, a couple of years ago I had a rant when someone posted a picture of themselves at a WW2 meet dressed as an SS officer. Now I know it was just fancy dress but those guys were the military scum of the earth, it just seemed so very wrong at the time. I see that uniform and think of Auchwitz, I see bodies hanging from lamp posts in Paris, hung with piano wire.

I love Germany, I love the people, we'll be there sometime May/June. I'm a huge admirer of the German war technicians, they wiped the floor with us technically. "We" invented Radar and the jet engine didn't we, which was one hell of a shock when the Me262 left our piston engined aircraft for dead. Thank goodness they had a nutter in control.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm totally with you when I see 'fancy dressers'......esp when they dress SS.

Yes the german war machine was huge, over complex (thank gawd) and, esp after the attempt to kill Hitler, thankfully doomed to fail.

We DID have people with brains, Percy Hobart, wrote the book on tank warfare (Blitkrieg) that the germans followed..........the brits consigned him to the Home Guard, until Churchill brought him back in to command the 79th Armoured Div (The Funnies).

This country was run by accountants........and in the lead up to both World Wars, it showed; (one could say its still happening, a friend had to buy his own gear when he shipped out to Afgan recently)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi Folks I am from the RV site just want to know if any of you are interested in this possible meet.
I went last year it was great, for any of you that went to Burtonwood, this is ten times bigger, have a look on the link and make a comment. you can arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Monday/ Tuesday. have a look at the camping link 2 adults & 2 Children plus camping plus admission everyday its a bargain, the chap who is running it, is after about how many would like to go. So please have a look make a comment ask questions and I will find out the answers, just to let you know the bandit from RV site is going, Thanks Richie.

Yorkshire Wartime Experience
[/nelz60.moonfruit.com]/QUOTE

Please put us down for the meet at the Yorkshire wartime experience

Thanks

Please put us down for the wartime experience meet
Thanks

Last edited:

graham&shirley

Free Member
Jul 1, 2014
Preston lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
RICHIE HAS ASKED ME TO POST THIS.

THE BOOKING FORMS ARE NOW READY TO DOWNLOAD ON THE YORKSHIRE WARTIME EXPERIENCE WEB SITE. OR YOU CAN GO TO THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE AND FIND A LINK.

YOU CAN PUT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE FORM THAT YOU ARE WITH THE RV OWNERS CLUB.

THERE IS A DANCE ON THE SATURDAY NIGHT £5 PER PERSON.

WHEN YOU BOOK PLEASE POST ON HERE SO RICHIE CAN KEEP US ALL TOGETHER.
THANKS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back