LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We are going to Thirsk to get LPG gas tank fitted next week. We thought in might be nice to stopover and see something of the dales and moors etc. Any recommended overnite stops? Ideally gastropubs where we can get a good meal and stay in the carpark?

Gerry & Anne

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Try the station inn at Ribblehead. It's not a britstop pub so no need to worry about being a member. I had the best babies head (steak and kidney pudding) I have ever had there. Or just down the road the Helwith bridge inn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Are you Britstop members?

Reasonable joining fee and we have used them a few times in Wales takes the stress out of finding somewhere :)

I found Britstop on google but it's too short notice to join. So I'm just looking for quick suggestions for the moment.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I found Britstop on google but it's too short notice to join. So I'm just looking for quick suggestions for the moment.

Ahh thought they had an app as well?

Unfortunately my book is in the Moho and thats in storage otherwise i would of had a look for you.
Maybe google a few pubs in the area and just call them, if your spending money in the pub all should be good.

Deleted User
Ahh thought they had an app as well?

Unfortunately my book is in the Moho and thats in storage otherwise i would of had a look for you.
Maybe google a few pubs in the area and just call them, if your spending money in the pub all should be good.

You would get black balled for that, the ultimate sin giving away Britstop locations to non subscribers:)

The Op should try the free pub stopovers guide researched by a funster, Keith, all he asks is a voluntary donation of the price of a pint.

www.wildcamping.moonfruit.com/pub-stopovers

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If the car park is big enough.
We have never been refused overnight parking in a UK Pub if spending there

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
you could try The Crown at Hutton Le Hole they charge ÂŁ10.00 but you do get electric, them disposal and water. Food good too.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We are going to Thirsk to get LPG gas tank fitted next week. We thought in might be nice to stopover and see something of the dales and moors etc. Any recommended overnite stops? Ideally gastropubs where we can get a good meal and stay in the carpark?

Gerry & Anne
Try my nephew's pub at Sandhutton, just a few miles from Thirsk. The King's Arms does excellent food and great beer, but phone first as he only has room for one van!! He is also a Britstop...

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Dedicated motorhome parking at Helmesly, free between 1830 and 0900.

Follow the signs for long stay parking.

Called a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday night, nice pubs and restaurants in the village also fish and chips.

There was five vans staying at the time.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
No pub landlord worth his salt is going to turn away business, unless he simply hasn't got the room. Yes, I prefer to use somewhere that has actually advised their willingness, but wouldn't be averse to calling in to a suitable place and asking. The worse they can say is no!

Reactions: Mel

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I did ask at one of my local pubs that has a large level car park if they would be interested in britstops. They had been asked previously and decided against it. The reason seemed to be that they did not want to be tied to one scheme. They do allow motorhome to stay overnight if they use the pub.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I did ask at one of my local pubs that has a large level car park if they would be interested in britstops. They had been asked previously and decided against it. The reason seemed to be that they did not want to be tied to one scheme. They do allow motorhome to stay overnight if they use the pub.
They wouldn't be tied to one scheme - BritStops doesn't ask for "exclusivity" - if they joined, all it would do would be to give them a bit of extra free advertising within the motorhoming community. There would be absolutely nothing to stop them taking in non-BritStoppers (y)
The problem that some businesses would have is that they aren't allowed to expect BritStoppers to buy anything, so may be taking up parking space that a non-BritStopper might use when using the pub/ shop/ whatever.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
They wouldn't be tied to one scheme - BritStops doesn't ask for "exclusivity" - if they joined, all it would do would be to give them a bit of extra free advertising within the motorhoming community. There would be absolutely nothing to stop them taking in non-BritStoppers (y)
The problem that some businesses would have is that they aren't allowed to expect BritStoppers to buy anything, so may be taking up parking space that a non-BritStopper might use when using the pub/ shop/ whatever.
That could well be it. Typical of me, I never thought of that.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That could well be it. Typical of me, I never thought of that.
Might be worth checking with them again though, just in case...

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why not put up a sign like you used to see "Coaches Welcome", but of course "Motorhomes Welcome" with a M/H sign underneath?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

Gerry & Anne
Helmsley is not far and the toen has a free overnight Motorhone park,which is a stones throw from the town. Which is beautiful. To park for the entire day only costs ÂŁ6.00 in total. Lovely spot.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
6.30pm to 09.00 am free. On our list of places to visit next week, doing a tour of National Trust and English Heritage sites we've travelled past with the comment "we really must call in and have a look sometime...."

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
doing a tour of National Trust and English Heritage sites we've travelled past with the comment "we really must call in and have a look sometime...."
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Are you going to do a thread on it? Please?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Are you going to do a thread on it? Please?

Not very good at travelogues, I usually just do blogs for our longer trips, this is really just a fill-in on our way to/from Lincoln - we were going to travel further but things didn't go to plan.
If I can make it interesting enough, it'll give me something to do when the rain's pouring down..............!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not very good at travelogues, I usually just do blogs for our longer trips, this is really just a fill-in on our way to/from Lincoln - we were going to travel further but things didn't go to plan.
If I can make it interesting enough, it'll give me something to do when the rain's pouring down..............!
Aw...
just a list of where, cost, then a */10 for access, parking, cafe, was it worth it, would do...

Not pressuring you though, hope you have an interesting and enjoyable tour. Safe travels!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well as you asked nicely I'll see what I can do. Not travelling until the weekend so, as they say, watch this space.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why not use Thirsk Club site? It's on the racecourse but Club managed. Lidl & Tesco 100 yards from the entrance & the town centre 5 minutes walk away. I know you didn't ask about sites but I love the one at Thirsk.:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014