York site death (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Just got back from Rowntree Park CC site in York and have done a search and can not find this item mentioned anywhere, on Thursday last week a little boy was knocked down on the site and later died in hospital. I do not know the full story and am not assigning any blame but could I please ask that you consider your speed and general awareness when driving around sites and that parents of younger children also be more aware of the dangers of traffic on site.

Out thoughts go out to the family of the boy and also the driver of the car.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/yor...boy_killed_in_freak_crash_at_caravan_park.php

Ralph & Dot

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How Tragic. I am not inferring that speed was an issue in this case but.. How often have we seen cars travelling too fast on sites, far too many!

At a site I was on in Spain earlier this year they had a very strict 10 kph policy. If the security officers spotted a car even going slightly over the limit then they were programmed out of the barrier entrance system and they had to park their cars in an external car park. There was no appeal to this procedure and it was vigorously enforced. The result was excellent, with vehicles only ever travelling at walking pace when on site.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
How Tragic. I am not inferring that speed was an issue in this case but.. How often have we seen cars travelling too fast on sites, far too many!

Our hearts go out to the parents of this child.

I agree Jim, but also I wish I had a pound for every time a cyclist (not neccessarily a child) has pulled out in front of me both on the road and on site. Also when on footpaths some idiot on a bike riding on the pavement has meant I've had to jump out of the way and if you say anything you are met with foul mouthed abuse.

I'm not saying this is the case in this tragedy but it is not always the fault of the motorist.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ohh dear, how awful for everyone concerned.. :frowny:

More needs to be done to stop vehicles speeding on sites, I like the idea from the Spanish site.. but as a first measure they need to put more speed humps on sites, they don't need to be high so as to damage draw bars but should have them every few yards, all to often the roads are smooth with no humps, encouraging speeding cyclists and cars.

Jim

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I forgot to mention this in the original post but for "legal reasons" the Caravan Club can not comment on the accident, this included not mentioning it at all to anyone coming on site. Staff were not offering any extra safety warnings there were no extra slowdown signs, no warning about children using bikes, nothing and especially no mention of the accident, we did not know about it until the family of the boy lade flowers next to our pitch.

In fact I sent them this email below but am not expecting a reply

Ralph

I am having a serious problem trying to comprehend the clubs reaction to a fatal accident to a child on the Rowntree Park site York. The accident happened on Thursday evening and the little boy died on Friday morning, we arrived on site on Saturday afternoon with two four year olds ,the same age as the little boy. Staff were not offering any extra safety warnings there were no extra slowdown signs, no warning about children using bikes, nothing and especially no mention of the accident.

We did not know until the family lade flowers next to our pitch, I asked in reception if a child had been killed on site. the answer was no, he died in hospital.

My wife asked again as we were leaving today Wednesday, she was informed that a child had died but for legal reasons that is all they could say.

Legal reasons or not, people are still speeding on this site, children are still riding bikes where they shouldn't, if they knew about the accident they may take more care with their actions, especially us, as we were next to the spot where it happened.

I have worked in the chemical industry for many years and the first thing that happens after an accident is, that measures are put in place to make sure that it never happens again, legality and blame are always secondary to this.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Legal reasons or not, people are still speeding on this site, children are still riding bikes where they shouldn't, if they knew about the accident they may take more care with their actions, especially us, as we were next to the spot where it happened.

I have worked in the chemical industry for many years and the first thing that happens after an accident is, that measures are put in place to make sure that it never happens again, legality and blame are always secondary to this.

Agree wholeheartedly. I worked for Corus (British Steel) and as you say the FIRST thing done in a case like this is to put in place measures to ensure this kind of tragedy never happens again.

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, This is from what i can read from the link appears to be a tragic accident, however it does seem that we are already moving towards speeding as the cause ?? from the link that was given police have stated

"Police said the car was moving slowly in the compact caravan site when the accident occurred"

? do we know something they don't ?

Speed humps they are the curse of the emergency services and from what i have read an ambulance was called to this incident albeit it does appear it was to late in this instance, non the less, we need to make sure the emergency vehicles can make quick access to incidents and back to the hospitals without having to maneuver speed humps.

As for implementing changes to the systems, I agree if there is a problem that becomes immediatly obvious after an accident then change the system immediatly or put in place alternatives but it does seem on the surface from what the Police apparently have said speeding doesn't seem to be involved,

Just trying to look at the situation objectively

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Speeding probably was not the cause but people do speed on campsites, in this case it seems the boy may have rode out from behind a four foot hedge.

Ralph

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:frowny: I have seen vehicles speeding on camp sites. But I think that parents should be more vigilant with their children too. :frowny:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back