YET ANOTHER "Which satnav?" - Tomtom replacement (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My Go740 will no longer be supported, so TomTom are offering 20-30% reductions on replacement satnavs, notably Go520/5200. I shall be asking them next week if they will do a similar deal on a Professional6200 (£350ish without discount) which allows input of vehicle dimensions.

Is the 6200 suitable for MHs or would I be better off going for a Garmin 770? They come in at approx £350.

Alternatively, Argos are offering a Garmin660 for £260.

What about the Falcon (£225 in CMC) or the Avtex?

Many thanks - Gordon

PS I know I'm opening a can of worms: I've had TT & Garmin in the past and much preferred TT [but I gather things may have changed].

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
CoPilot on phone or iPad/tablet with active traffic is very good

I tried a couple of apps on my Hudl2 and liked SygicTruck best of all (wasn't keen on co-pilot!). :)

However, at the last MonkeyHangers rally my Hudl packed in (Google Play stopped working and refused to be sorted) and the rest of the 2week holiday was thrown into disarray as it was my first (and last! :whistle:) trip without paper-based site information.

So the plan is to spend some money on another dedicated satnav, whilst keeping TomTom app on the Hudl "just in case". ;)

Coming back from Marbella in 2009, we got to Valladolid when our Garmin declared that a "critical update is required" and then totally died. :(:(:( Fortunately the trip to Bilboa wasn't too onerous, but we did take a somewhat tortuous route down to the quay (n). Halfords offered us a full refund (it was 3months old) and we bought the TT 540, which has seen good service, without buying any map updates. [We did have problems in 2016 trying to get to Lidl Muiden (Amsterdam) from A10, and got stuck on s114 until Hudl rescued us. (y)]

Thanks - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you're thinking Garmin, Amazon have their 760lmt-d for just under £300 as another option. It's what we've got and use it along with BaseCamp on pc.

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
If you're thinking Garmin, Amazon have their 760lmt-d for just under £300 as another option. It's what we've got and use it along with BaseCamp on pc.

I downloaded Basecamp to see whether it could replace my Autoroute 2010 but I was very disappointed with the lack of minor roads, names of villages etc. Does this improve once you connect a purchased device?

Thanks - Gordon

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I use copilot all the time via my iPad and personally very happy with it but did try the 7day free trial with Sygic and didn’t get on with it. I found the font size too small and graphic instructions not clear enough. Now deleted and will be staying with copilot.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I downloaded Basecamp to see whether it could replace my Autoroute 2010 but I was very disappointed with the lack of minor roads, names of villages etc. Does this improve once you connect a purchased device?

Thanks - Gordon
Yes you must have a device connected and of course buy the mapping, I use Mapsource the same mapping as Basecamp, and the detail is spot on.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Thanks - Gordon
There's a "detail" option drop down on the toolbar (top left) in BaseCamp that increases \ decreases the level of info displayed. Don't know if you tried that?
You can also zoom in \ out which increases \ decreases detail.
The following Lowest \ Medium \ Highest without sat nav connected.

upload_2018-1-27_16-46-6.png

upload_2018-1-27_16-47-7.png

upload_2018-1-27_16-48-15.png

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Although not perfect I find the Garmin 770 camper to be most suitable for navigation through unknown areas.It's spoken directions are first class when negotiating complex junctions. I don't need fancy graphics as I like to keep my eyes on the road so spoken instructions are very important to me.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
My Go740 will no longer be supported, so TomTom are offering 20-30% reductions on replacement satnavs, notably Go520/5200. I shall be asking them next week if they will do a similar deal on a Professional6200 (£350ish without discount) which allows input of vehicle dimensions.

Is the 6200 suitable for MHs or would I be better off going for a Garmin 770? They come in at approx £350.

Alternatively, Argos are offering a Garmin660 for £260.

What about the Falcon (£225 in CMC) or the Avtex?

Many thanks - Gordon

PS I know I'm opening a can of worms: I've had TT & Garmin in the past and much preferred TT [but I gather things may have changed].
Hi I just phoned and they will offer 25% discount on 6200 and 6250

Hope this is useful info

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I use a tomtom truck 6000 and this works as expected but any issues and dont expect any help from tomtom support as they are bl**dy uselss and thats being kind.The unit is quite slow to boot and move between screens but so far and since all the issues have been fixed (had to send it back as traffic wasnt working) it has worked well. Common sense still prevails as a few times it has tried to send us down some narrow roads even with dimensions entered and ours is set for a trailer as well. It is also slow to calculate the truck route but it has never sent us on any route with a low bridge both here and in Spain/France/Belgium/Portugal.

I would prefer the truck version on my phone or tablet but tomtom dont support this yet, i have tried other satnavs including copilot,sygic but dont like the interface, lesser of two evils i think.

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
CoPilot on phone or iPad/tablet with active traffic is very good

I decided to give this a go but all I get is crashes! :cry: (Tablet not MH!! :whistle:)

I've installed CoPilot Truck (twice) and sometimes it "lives" for 10minutes, but usually it disappears after as little as 1minute.

It told me that a local road had "restricted access" but took me down a 6'6" route rather than the longer but unrestricted way. It even took me through the 6'6" road when I "started" the route from a position where the unrestricted route was shorter (n).
It did, however, stop me from going over a 3T bridge, no matter what tricks I played on it (y).

I even tried CoPilot (car version) but that also crashed: looks like an incompatibility with my tablet :(.

I tried to re-evaluate SygicTruck but they presumably remembered my identity (from over 2y ago) and refused to allow a 14day free trial. I wasn't prepared to fork out £69 for Camper Europe, as it also may be incompatible :cautious:.

So it looks like a dedicated satnav (or a new tablet?) is the only way to go. Our local Halfords doesn't have any "truck" based devices to get the feel of, but I wonder if Argos would be keen for me to "try before I buy"? :rolleyes:

Gordon

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Rapido925M

I have both a TT Via 120 live with a Camper map on it and a Garmin 660LMT which is the previous model to the current offerings as well as a current model of TT for SHMBO's car.

Firstly the current TT models work totally differently to the one you are used to and so in effect you will be starting again.

Personally I think the routing and certainly Traffic on Tomtoms seems better than the Garmin. Generally travelling between major places is no problem but there can be the odd problem on both makes. Todate the more frequent routing errors have been on the Garmin which includes directed me into Church Place in Moffat when travelling to the campsite there. A quick look on Google Earth will show how this is not a good move. I also find its routing can be longer than is necessary or as recommended by the TT.

Regarding Software on Phones I would be concerned I could be challenged about using my phone while driving if I touch it.

You will also find that there are a few things you could do on your old TT which are not available on the newer models. I personally not found these omissions a problem and TT have been, all to slowly, adding these omissions back in. There are a number of new features plus you can now add your POI files but you are limited to how many you can show on the map and you cannot load .bmp files so the POI's have their own pictures to help identify them.

Hope this helps.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I decided to give this a go but all I get is crashes! :cry: (Tablet not MH!! :whistle:)

I've installed CoPilot Truck (twice) and sometimes it "lives" for 10minutes, but usually it disappears after as little as 1minute.

:rolleyes:

Gordon

What Tablet are you using?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Garmin 770 and find it very good I like the lane guidance and also the early turn instruction so you have plenty of time to make manoeuvres etc.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I've tried a few, Blaupunkt, TomTom, Google. Last, and most successful is an Xgody, £34.99, off eBay.

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
What Tablet are you using?

Tesco's Hudl2 running Android 5.1 (17 Sep 2015).

Internal storage (currently) =9.12G (1.42 free), SD card = 14.64G (7.36 free)

I even uninstalled TT Go app to give lots more free disc space but without solving the difficulty.

My son tells me that cheap Android systems fill up with cr@p and don't get updates, so I must expect things not to work. Unfortunately, my iPad mini1 doesn't have satnav facilities, but I have been tempted to try CoPilot on that just to see how it functions.

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back