yet another newbie! (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2014
Nr Whitby north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Hello everyone HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all we have decided to join after reading all your posts and various topics for a few months which have been so interesting and informative.
After we have been to dealers we have researched the net and your forum and gradually formed an opinion of what we are looking for.The current conclusion is- ideally! -
A class (we like the light and visibility and space)
4 berth(there are 2 of us and 2 dogs but would like to take grandkids)
twin beds/island+dropdown (logical)
winterised
non wood construction
6.5m max

Sooooooo.....we have arrived at Hymer Rapido,Pilote and the maximum budget of £45k or thereabouts so would welcome any thoughts also your opinions on the new Bailey Autograph as we havethought the general forum concensus is that a 7 year old Hymer would beat it for all the reasons we have read before ? Sorry for long ramblings but cant afford to get this wrong so would appreciate your experienced comments.Many thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi and welcome

the first thing that strikes me is that you are trying to pack a lot into 6.5 metres, I doubt that you would get island bed as they are a bit of a waste of space, transverse would be more economical with the limited space.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Welcome from another newbie too.
Cannot advise on van but a great knowledge base here.
Enjoy.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun your shortlist of vans is impressive and you will be happy with your choice.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome to Fun, you have a good budget and some idea of what you think you would like, now is a good time to visit sone dealers look in the layouts you are thinking of then stay in the van without the salesman for a while imagine a rainy day do you have room to move around is the seating / kitchen comfortable to be in for you. Is there adequate storage and pay load.

Think I would be thinking of a drop down bed for main use and two settee's that could be made into single beds when needed.

A lot of room can be taken up with a Island bed, and if four and two dogs in it could be tight, just a few thoughts. Lay out and pay load get that right and usually you are happy with your van. :welc:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome :hi:
Your list is similar to ours but without the fixed bed part, I agree with funflair, you are looking at squeezing alot into a smallish van.

We bought an A class Adria Vision 647 and although we've only had it a few months we've found the layout is ideal for us and 6.49m with a garage as well.

Happy hunting - you have a decent budget(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hello and welcome, we spent a lot of time looking and sitting in MoHo' before we bought. Remember you need forward facing seats with three point belts to carry any passengers in safety :)
We smiled at a post to us on here that said the right van for you could be the third one you buy so take your time :xrofl:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, at that price you should get a nice van just how you want it but as with most things layout is a very personal choice, as Badknee has said check that it has the right amount of seat belts for the amount of people you want to carry. A good place to check prices is eBay, you just need to be careful if you buy off there. You've come to the right forum to ask any and all motorhome related questions and you just might gets some sensible answers. (y)

OP
OP
N
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Thank you all for your replies good to know we are not too far off course and we did think an island bed before we noted posts previously advising that big is not always better when accsessing parking spaces also our drive is not that long.Wehave more research to do!!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF.good luck with your search,its all part of the experience:xThumb:
Brian & Jo

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hello and :welc:..

You've had some good advice already, layout is the key, we went through all this with our first van, but made some mistakes. Would agree with Carol and Funflair, try to imagine yourselves all in the van at the same time on a rainy day........is there sufficient space in the kitchen to prepare food. The loo is another important space, we started with a combined loo and shower in our previous van....not a good idea. But what we have noticed from talking to other mhomers on sites is that there is always a compromise where space is concerned. Just figure out what's most important to you and what you are willing to compromise on.

Happy hunting and don't rush into anything:xThumb:

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Hi and welcome to MotorhomeFun. You've made the first decision, this forum will give you such a head start, lots of experience to hand.

We've got the island bed, A class with overhead drop down bed, (strangely it's our third choice of layout) although it is 7.44m. Love the layout, the garage and the pay load of 650kg, but it's well over 3500!

Plenty of room, lots of light, excellent build quality, and Yes I'm bias.
Hope you find yours soon, enjoy! :xThumb::xgrin:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome to the fun.
You will receive many different opinions on layout, class etc but, at the end of it all it is your decision and you should buy what suits your particular needs. We were looking for a sub 6.5 Mtr van with a fixed bed and decent sized lounge but have now decided that it's not practical so have decided to increase our size to 7mtr ish.
Whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy your new motorhome :xThumb:

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN.

Just curious, you say you are nr Whitby, I use to live in Port Mulgrave. (Lovely part of the world............:xThumb:)

Good luck in your search for 'your' M/h.

All the best,

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Thanks again for all your replies which are all gratefully received.
Andy we are at the other end at the bottom of Blue Bank.

Ah, Sleights area. (know the kennels, there...........got my much loved and missed collie from there.)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Hiand welcome. We are in a different part of the market to you but can absolutely vouch for being sure. We first bought a coach built and loved it but couldn't use it. Too hard to park and too slow and noisy to drive long distance. We sold it on and spent a year researching before deciding on a lwb van conversion. We are so pleased with our new one but plenty heartache and not small costs to get there. I think we are lucky it only took 2 goes (that said we are now debating whether to spend 2015 money on upgrading the one we have or trading in for newer and less rusty...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thank you all for your replies good to know we are not too far off course and we did think an island bed before we noted posts previously advising that big is not always better when accsessing parking spaces also our drive is not that long.Wehave more research to do!!

Yes but its all part of the fun!
We bought an Autocruise Wentworth but we didnt set out looking at anything like it at all.
As ex caravaners that were fed up of making up the bed at night it had to be a fixed bed, wrong. After sitting in lots of them we decided the bed takes up too much room or means a longer MoHo than was needed.Angela loves cooking and wanted a large kitchen area and the Wentworth is massive compared to many, people tell of having to cover the bed up to stop splashes from the cooker, fitting shelves over the bed etc. but it's your choice enjoy the fun of the hunt :xThumb:

OP
OP
N
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Ah, Sleights area. (know the kennels, there...........got my much loved and missed collie from there.)
Yes thats right-in fact I walk our two dogs up Brackenhill Lane which leads up to the kennels-its a small world!

OP
OP
N
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Yes but its all part of the fun!
We bought an Autocruise Wentworth but we didnt set out looking at anything like it at all.
As ex caravaners that were fed up of making up the bed at night it had to be a fixed bed, wrong. After sitting in lots of them we decided the bed takes up too much room or means a longer MoHo than was needed.Angela loves cooking and wanted a large kitchen area and the Wentworth is massive compared to many, people tell of having to cover the bed up to stop splashes from the cooker, fitting shelves over the bed etc. but it's your choice enjoy the fun of the hunt :xThumb:
We really liked an Autocruise Augusta that we saw on one of our first"looking at every model trips"but were discouraged to find that to get a winterised van you need to spend money on tank blankets etc while a lot of european models are already kitted out?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi and welcome to MotorhomeFun. You've made the first decision, this forum will give you such a head start, lots of experience to hand.

We've got the island bed, A class with overhead drop down bed, (strangely it's our third choice of layout) although it is 7.44m. Love the layout, the garage and the pay load of 650kg, but it's well over 3500!

Plenty of room, lots of light, excellent build quality, and Yes I'm bias.
Hope you find yours soon, enjoy! :xThumb::xgrin:
What van do you have - I can't actually make out from your profile photo what it is.

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hello everyone HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all we have decided to join after reading all your posts and various topics for a few months which have been so interesting and informative.
After we have been to dealers we have researched the net and your forum and gradually formed an opinion of what we are looking for.The current conclusion is- ideally! -
A class (we like the light and visibility and space)
4 berth(there are 2 of us and 2 dogs but would like to take grandkids)
twin beds/island+dropdown (logical)
winterised
non wood construction
6.5m max

Sooooooo.....we have arrived at Hymer Rapido,Pilote and the maximum budget of £45k or thereabouts so would welcome any thoughts also your opinions on the new Bailey Autograph as we havethought the general forum concensus is that a 7 year old Hymer would beat it for all the reasons we have read before ? Sorry for long ramblings but cant afford to get this wrong so would appreciate your experienced comments.Many thanks.
I'll tell you one thing my friend you will not be sorry that you joined this loony lot (love them all really) wish that I had done the research you are under taking before I spent my dosh. All o/k now but take note of the following, it is on the dealer review website.
If your passing my way your always welcome and the kettles on. HAPPY MO-HOMING.
Having lived and worked abroad for the last 20 years it was always my intention to purchase a motor home on my return to the UK when I retired. I spent a lot of time and effort to find the right vehicle and eventually settled on a Devon Tempest, 2 years old and with 1500 miles on the clock. What I should have done was completed the purchase after the dealer Dolphin Motor homes had done the habitation check. my mistake!. The van was sent off to their Southampton branch for the habitation certificate to be issued and in my opinion that is what they did, issued the certificate because they certainly DID NOT DO THE WORKS, the van was delivered to me with a faulty fresh water tank, waste water problem, toilet badly functioning and other jobs either done badly or not done at all.
The waste water tap was ceased and needed renewing the electrics on the fresh water system were faulty there was a bolt missing from the strike plate on the rear door the swivel seats would not swivel the radio and Sat nav system did not work along with other problems. All of these problems I was assured would be corrected but the van had to go back to Southampton as the Iford branch only has a valeting bay and not a mechanics workshop, imaging my surprise 3 days later when I phoned Southampton to be told “NO” we do not have a bay to lift the vans and our man has taken his tools to Iford to carry out the faults there, (obviously laying on his back on the floor)
The offending problems were all done bar the radio/sat nav which apparently 3 people had tried to correct, the main dealer had been contacted , who was not prepared to give free advice and eventually the MD fiddled with the system (his words not mine) and after 15 minutes did manage to solve part of the problem. I have solved the remaining fault with a friend. I now intend to have the gas check done by an independent engineer All of the running about has been at my expense and I feel that the company had no interest what so ever after my monies had been banked..
I started by explaining that I had been abroad for twenty years and am aware that the UK is named RIP OFF BRITAIN; service like this only adds fuel to the fire. IWOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Welcome..Getting an A class to work at 3500kg (enough practical payload) will be difficult I would think...

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I'll tell you one thing my friend you will not be sorry that you joined this loony lot (love them all really) wish that I had done the research you are under taking before I spent my dosh. All o/k now but take note of the following, it is on the dealer review website.
If your passing my way your always welcome and the kettles on. HAPPY MO-HOMING.
Having lived and worked abroad for the last 20 years it was always my intention to purchase a motor home on my return to the UK when I retired. I spent a lot of time and effort to find the right vehicle and eventually settled on a Devon Tempest, 2 years old and with 1500 miles on the clock. What I should have done was completed the purchase after the dealer Dolphin Motor homes had done the habitation check. my mistake!. The van was sent off to their Southampton branch for the habitation certificate to be issued and in my opinion that is what they did, issued the certificate because they certainly DID NOT DO THE WORKS, the van was delivered to me with a faulty fresh water tank, waste water problem, toilet badly functioning and other jobs either done badly or not done at all.
The waste water tap was ceased and needed renewing the electrics on the fresh water system were faulty there was a bolt missing from the strike plate on the rear door the swivel seats would not swivel the radio and Sat nav system did not work along with other problems. All of these problems I was assured would be corrected but the van had to go back to Southampton as the Iford branch only has a valeting bay and not a mechanics workshop, imaging my surprise 3 days later when I phoned Southampton to be told “NO” we do not have a bay to lift the vans and our man has taken his tools to Iford to carry out the faults there, (obviously laying on his back on the floor)
The offending problems were all done bar the radio/sat nav which apparently 3 people had tried to correct, the main dealer had been contacted , who was not prepared to give free advice and eventually the MD fiddled with the system (his words not mine) and after 15 minutes did manage to solve part of the problem. I have solved the remaining fault with a friend. I now intend to have the gas check done by an independent engineer All of the running about has been at my expense and I feel that the company had no interest what so ever after my monies had been banked..
I started by explaining that I had been abroad for twenty years and am aware that the UK is named RIP OFF BRITAIN; service like this only adds fuel to the fire. IWOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY

I would second what you have said above.......I contacted Dolphin about a year and a half ago. I was interested in an Autotrail van that they had, however, they were not willing to hold the van even though I was driving down from Scotland to view it. I offered to put a holding deposit on it and they said, I would need to come down asap as they weren't willing to hold it even with a deposit on it.
I also had to pump them for information on the van, I would have thought this should have been forthcoming from them, if they wanted to sell the van. I got bad vibes, smelled a rat and decided to steer well clear.

In the end up we bought from Oaktree Motorhomes, Awsworth, near Nottingham. We found them very friendly, professional and carried out everything they said they would do. They were good enough to send one of their mechanics up to us when we developed a fuel filter problem shortly after collecting the van. This was a round trip probably about 200 miles.

We would certainly buy from Oaktree Motorhomes again.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back