Yet another newbie . . . well, rookie, actually (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
This is my first post, so a big hello to everyone!

I’m hoping to commit myself soon to solo fulltime touring, in the UK and possibly Europe. Having done a lot of research (including reading Jim’s excellent The Motorhome Buyers Guide – yeah, I know, sucking up from the start), there are still a couple of issues I could do with some guidance on.

As background information, I’ll probably buy new, to take advantage of what the 2019 models offer: something that is as future-proofed as possible, e.g. Euro 6 engine, and a lot of spec included as standard.

I’m retired, single, and don’t own any property (I could afford to buy something small, property wise, but then I’d have nothing left to enjoy myself with).

From my research, the priorities would be: a comfortable and spacious lounge area, fixed island bed, separate shower, adequate kitchen, large garage (big enough for a scooter weighing, say, 97kg), plenty of included spec, and quality and price! By the way, I’ve just reapplied for C! entitlement, which I relinquished last year (I’m thinking about payload, not necessarily the biggest, longest, widest vehicle ever).

As a rough idea of what’s caught my eye so far, there’s Benimar’s Tessoro 497, Auto-Trail Delaware HB (low profile), and a couple of the new Hymers (however, despite the latter’s perceived build quality and the appeal of their marriage with Mercedes, I reckon that high prices and a lack of included spec – not to mention limited lounge space – would rule them out). There’s a couple of immediate questions arising from this:

- Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Benimar/Tessoro brand (e.g. build quality, reliability, comfort and practicality)?

- Auto-Trail seems to come in for a bit of stick from some of you guys, but I wonder if this is always fair and are there any good news stories out there – the 2019 Delaware HB (low profile), first impressions, looks a good fit. One concern is that Auto-Trail’s 2018 warranty (I haven’t seen the 2019 one) seems weighted against people who live fulltime in their motorhome as if it were their home (though I would be fulltime touring, of course) and to do so would invalidate the warranty. It’s almost as if they’re saying, we’ve built a luxurious motorhome, with fabulous quality, and it’s built to last, but please don’t ever use it! Would a contract with Marquis, as dealer, be a way round this potential problem?

- The consensus seems to be that the new Ford and Mercedes engines easily pass muster. But what about Fiat? Are their current/new versions up to the mark and equal to the task? I’d probably go for an automatic and see that the vast majority of you, when the issue has been raised before, would echo that.

- This one may raise a smile. In view of my age (I’m still fairly active, mind) and solo status, would an automated hydraulic levelling system be a sound investment? I know they’re expensive but the benefits and practicalities for someone in my position seem appealing. There are also the added security and reduced insurance to consider, and I gather they can be transferred to another vehicle. I’ve asked around locally (Devon) and some say they’re a bit of an extravagance. So, do any of you have first-hand experience of them?

- Finally, would fitting an LPG refillable tank be a good idea?

That’s it for now. I should add that I’m hoping to make it to the NEC. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rookie Phil

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome Phil :)

I can't help you with the specific motorhomes you mention I'm afraid but if you're going to the NEC that's a very good place to have a good look at what's on offer. If you like Hymers you might take a look at Niesmann & Bischoff - they're part of the Hymer Group and are their top of the range manufacturer.

If you're full timing you might want to check that any vehicle you're interested in is fully winterised. You don't want to be lacking in insulation, especially if you're travelling in Europe.

We have an LPG tank and hydraulic levelling system... I can highly recommend both. I've not heard about increased security and lower insurance premiums related to them though.

One thing I would recommend is that you take a look at the dealership reviews on the forum. I think whatever the motorhome you'll have things that fail to work properly and you need good aftersales backup. Some dealers are absolutely dreadful (speaking from experience). It pays to know beforehand who the bad dealers are.

Good luck with your search!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don’t be fooled by all the bells and whistles. Most of them are useless unless you are plugged into a mains socket. We have had an electric bed never again. So keep it simple especially if you are aiming to full time. Also remember that your contract is with your supplying Dealer so don’t expect other Dealers to fix problems. As for build quality sad to say but a lot of the imported MHs are far better.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Welcome to the forum. We did exactly the same going to last years NEC show before dipping our toes in the MH ownership pond. whilst we didn't buy new we settled for a very little pre used Adria. which we have been very pleased with to date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Phil and Welcome.

If travelling solo don't dismiss looking for a van conversion. Motorhomes are good but are sometimes restrictive when looking to visit those out of the way places locally in Devon and Cornwall.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
My one bit of advice is don't buy from a dealer that is too far from home. Getting warranty work done can be difficult as other posts have identified.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
From my research, the priorities would be: a comfortable and spacious lounge area, fixed island bed, separate shower, adequate kitchen, large garage (big enough for a scooter weighing, say, 97kg), plenty of included spec, and quality and price! By the way, I’ve just reapplied for C! entitlement, which I relinquished last year (I’m thinking about payload, not necessarily the biggest, longest, widest vehicle ever).
Similar to our rqts and we settled on a Dethleffs Globus GT7. Highly recommend you look at one.

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Adria which is designed by women is excellent in both design and quality..we love ours.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
Welcome to the forum. We did exactly the same going to last years NEC show before dipping our toes in the MH ownership pond. whilst we didn't buy new we settled for a very little pre used Adria. which we have been very pleased with to date.

That makes two of you, now. Must have a look at Adria!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
Don’t be fooled by all the bells and whistles. Most of them are useless unless you are plugged into a mains socket. We have had an electric bed never again. So keep it simple especially if you are aiming to full time. Also remember that your contract is with your supplying Dealer so don’t expect other Dealers to fix problems. As for build quality sad to say but a lot of the imported MHs are far better.

Thanks for all the advice. When you talk about electric beds, is it because they drain the battery, or they're temperamental?

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
You could look at Eura Mobil.
We bought there integra 890 last year and loveit. however it is 9 metres long but this means a big garage and payload so we have a scooter and two pushbikes in the back garage. We added self levellers and 2 solar panels this is essential in my opinion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
You could look at Eura Mobil.
We bought there integra 890 last year and loveit. however it is 9 metres long but this means a big garage and payload so we have a scooter and two pushbikes in the back garage. We added self levellers and 2 solar panels this is essential in my opinion.

Thanks for your advice. I'll check it out! (Hope you're not telling porkies) :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back