Yet another meet plagued by generators!!!! (1 Viewer)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We don't have a generator in our van . We mostly stay in Aires or Stellplatz which have hookup but can stay up to 2 nights without hookup before need charging up . On our boat we have solar panel as well as wind generator and Honda generator. Usually in a crowded anchorage it is common courtesy to tell your neighbours when you intend to run the generator and try to do it when your neighbours are ashore and never run it early mornings or late at night . Most sailors comply but there are a few who have the loudest possible generators running at all hours powering TVs and microwaves etc . Sometimes we have had to move to get some peace and quiet . It is pretty much the same in the MH
If we hear a generator nearby we consider moving if it goes on for too long .

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Most sailors comply but there are a few who have the loudest possible generators running at all hours powering TVs and microwaves etc . Sometimes we have had to move to get some peace and quiet . It is pretty much the same in the MH
If we hear a generator nearby we consider moving if it goes on for too long .

You could always sink them ?:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I bought my wife one of them collapsible trolly's, you know the ones, its got them little plastic wheels:) I could see people looking at her as she clicked -clacked to and fro from the sanitary block with the washing up, and to empty the Casset. I felt embarrassed for her:( until I found a solution, I suggested that if she made these trips before 7.30, and after 23.30 every one would be asleep and wouldn't know who it was(y):cool:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
what @JJ had to say when his peace was shattered..

Quote:
These people’s vans obviously depend on their wealth but again, in general, tend to have loads of stuff on/in them. I don’t think of them as “true” van dwellers in so much as they haven’t adapted their lifestyle to the different requirements of van living. They are still fully committed to the ways of house dwelling. You know who they are the moment night falls and you hear the whirring of their automatic, roof top satellite dish as it searches for the correct satellite in order to allow the latest episode of their favourite soap opera into the van.

It was the owner of one of these type of vans who broke my sleep and my heart just after nine o’clock this morning.

He fired up his petrol driven generator shattering the awesome peace of this beautiful spot.

I was so livid that after gathering my senses together I stormed out to video his selfishness for posterity. After shooting the scene in such a way as to try to give the viewer some idea of the peaceful nature of the location (I am a novice amateur with a camera) I suggested to the man that he invest in some solar panels. He proudly announced that he had those as well (completely missing the point.) I then suggested he stopped watching so much television and grumped my way back to my Wagon.

For completeness sake I must report that he did then switch it off but by that time the damage had already been done…

Unquote;

and how it sounded..

http://www.wagonman2000.blogspot.co...d-max=2008-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=4

Does this mean as MH owners we have to sit around singing ging gang goolly all night without a tv on?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
In the true spirit of fun this thread has gone well off track !
I know, it's great isn't it?
Anyway, back to the original point. When we first got our MH it had a 240 volt TV fitted. Since we like to stop in places where there is no hookup, the first purchase was a 12v telly so little one could watch 'Frozen' endlessly!
The only things we need electricity for now are the microwave, coffee pod machine and the air con unit. All of these items we can live without, actually our genny isn't beefy enough to power the air con.
It does strike me as a little odd, if the genny is purchased purely to watch TV, surely this is more expensive than buying a 12v telly?

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Peterborough show regulations state generators may be used between the hours of 8am until 10 pm and recommend that they people are considerate and only use them for two hours at a time .
Maybe motorhome shows are the wrong venue for funsters if they can't live with that.
Alan

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Peterborough show regulations state generators may be used between the hours of 8am until 10 pm and recommend that they people are considerate and only use them for two hours at a time .
Maybe motorhome shows are the wrong venue for funsters if they can't live with that.
Alan
What do peeps need to power with their generators at 8am that they can't power with leisure battery?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What do peeps need to power with their generators at 8am that they can't power with leisure battery?

WEB_IMAGE-1020274-D1.JPG

UnknownManHairDryer.preview.jpg

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
:(

We have never been to a 'rally' and were considering doing so this year. However having read this thread I am no longer inclined to do so as there does seem to be a lot bitching and intolerance. What a shame.

I think that any newbie reading this thread will begin to wonder what they have got themselves into!

KH

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What a load of Goody Two Shoes we have here on Fun...

We do every thing the right way but others don't.

I might fire up my genny to now use the toaster... if someone complains I will say to him,

"Get off my land."

JJ :cool:

What makes some people Goody Two Shoes?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

We have never been to a 'rally' and were considering doing so this year. However having read this thread I am no longer inclined to do so as there does seem to be a lot bitching and intolerance. What a shame.

I think that any newbie reading this thread will begin to wonder what they have got themselves into!

KH
There's also a lot of humour going on, surely that's what it's all about? :D

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

KH

I think you are confusing the bitching with piss-taking for the majority of posts!

The following are subjects which amuse us the most-

1. Generators
2. Grey water
3. A-frames
4. Gas attacks
5. Drones
6. Margaret Thatcher
7. Anything in the Daily Mail
8. Immigrants
8. Benefits

They are just Motorhome Fun standing jokes!

You'll get used to it!:)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

KH
Let's just hope it wasn't an rv that is the guilty party or there will be a lot more of it yet ;)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think you are confusing the bitching with piss-taking for the majority of posts!

The following are subjects which amuse us the most-

1. Generators
2. Grey water
3. A-frames
4. Gas attacks
5. Drones
6. Margaret Thatcher
7. Anything in the Daily Mail
8. Immigrants
8. Benefits

They are just Motorhome Fun standing jokes!

You'll get used to it!:)
You missed rv bashing (y)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You see the problem is you lot have never been on a motorbike camping weekend. First thing sunday morning, no matter how far they have to travel home (it just be the next village) someone will be up at 5.00am decamping. Down comes the tent with the resultant throwing about of metal tent poles, copious amounts of groaning and moaning about how it fitted in the bag when they came etc. Falling out with the other half over why she has to bring so much "stuff."Then when it's all packed away, it's time to start the bike, which is parked about a foot away from your head and it has to be on full choke so the engine is happily revving away and puthering forth great plumes of smoke. Then the owner spots his mate at the other side of the camp field and thus starts a long distance conversation made all the worse by the fact that both of them have their helmets on and can't hear each other so they shout louder, a bit like Brits when trying to make Johnny Foreigner understand them. Motorhoming's a doddle.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

KH

Not aware of the bitching but tolerance is subjective. How would you feel if you were settled down outside your mh, reading, chatting, chilling etc. and the the generators start? One generator can ruin the tranquility and two or three make an absolute racket. You may be able to cope with some noise but when you can't hear what your companions are saying because your neighbour has turned their genny on so that they can watch TV etc. would feel chilled? I don't think that many people object to generators per se but they do seem to be used far more often than might be expected considering the leisure battery capacity of most vans and the effects of one generator running can impact on many more people than the immediate neighbours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back