Yes!!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!! (That's a weight off my shoulders. (4 Viewers)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Anybody been in this situation? Losing grandfather rights could be catastrophic ! Has anyone rung up and had them reinstated and was there any strings/ costs please .
My Dad got his C1 back this year and he is 78. He had to do a medical with his Dr and an eye test and fill out the forms. He also had his van uprated with sv tecj from 3500 - 3850 so now he can put mums mobility scooter on the back tow bar. He did have to add air suspension and change the tyres from R15 to R25, so now he's all up and running and aiming to France with us this year

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(y) Thanks for that Steve just what I wanted to know .Now has anyone had a Swift Bolero uprated from 3.5 ?? :imoutahere:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anybody been in this situation? Losing grandfather rights could be catastrophic ! Has anyone rung up and had them reinstated and was there any strings/ costs please .

If you lose them due to suspension/totting up or being
banned , my understanding is that you have to take a test for each & every category that you want back.By all accounts you also lose all towing rights as well.
It is not that they have 'inadvertently ' taken them away but being banned or suspended under 'totting up' they consider that when the licence is returned you are the same as a 'newly qualified' driver & with the same rights, the right to drive a car only. That is how it was explained to me but I have never actually gone into the legality of it all.

I've got a mate who, unwittingly allowed DVLA to remove the rights when he got to 70. He's trying to get hem reinstated but he isnt hopeful.
He's even considering at 72 taking the test.

that's just a matter of getting them put back correctly not that they have been removed due to being banned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
DVLA will automatically take the C1 category off those holding "grandfather rights" i.e. those passing a category B (car) test before 1997 unless that individual provides a medical report form (D4) signed by a doctor. Medical fees vary but are around £100 - doctors being free to charge what they see fit. Having lost a licence category after 70 it is possible to regain it by completing the medical form D4> This comes about because of the different medical standards applied to "ordinary" (car and motorbike) licences and "vocational" anything with a C or D in it category.

In terms of the weighing of a vehicle, it is rare for front and rear axles to equal the vehicles. maximum gross weight. Generally the two axles total more than the gross weight to allow the vehicle some flexibility as to where they put the load in the vehicle.

VOSA (now DVSA) will never weigh front and rear axle plus the gross because they know there will often be a discrepancy between the total of front and rear axles and tat of the single "gross weight". the code of practice for weighing axles on a "plate" bridge suggests that the axle not being weighed should be placed on the frame of the weighbridge just clear of the weighbridge plate itself - thus ensuring that the vehicle is as level as possible and does not throw weight from one axle to the other. This is completely different from the so-called "dynamic" weighbridge which weighs all axles and gross and train weights as the vehicle is driven slowly over the bridge. The bridge plate in this case only being about a metre long. These bridges are not generally used to weigh vehicles of less than 3,500 kgs as the tolerance allowed for each axle is 150kgs

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Get yourself a reich portable scales saves all that worry I know they are not cheap but worth the piece of mind you can weigh each individual wheel and it gives you all the info you need,we uprated our Tracker to 3850kg with SV Tech worth every penny and I can now distribute the load much more evenly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
When I was running trucks a few years ago split weighing at a flat plate weighbridge was always considered inaccurate. A dynamic weighbridge was the only accurate method.
Our local weighbridge wont do split weight (Iv tried) as they say its to inaccurate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back