Yes! I've finally got internet again ... (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... after breaking out from Three mobile!

We've found Three okay for our needs but about a month or so ago started having issues with it cutting off and going slow at times but that was just a taste of what was to come ... yesterday morning we had NO Three mobile signal at all, not for phone, internet, or even emergency calls from what we could tell! After messing about for ages checking what the issue was, ie was it the phone, the sim, or the network, we finally deducted it was the network. As we knew they were doing work upgrading masts etc to 5G which tends to be done on a weekend we left it for a while but by 4.30 pm we'd had enough ... the only way we could hope to make a call was to stand outside in the rain and even then it kept cutting out. Eventually I spoke to the customer services technical section and they confirmed they were doing work in our area which was scheduled to continue until 30th July although they hoped it would be done sooner (yeah, right!!!).

I explained that this was not good enough as we had NO other phone we could use as all we had were our Three phones (1 PAYG & 1 contract), consequently I made a formal complaint and was told that, even though the technical section officially closed at 5.00 pm (which it nearly was) due to the issue we had, a manager would ring us back (there's a manager on duty all the time). Seeing as we mostly had no reception, and even when it did work it was very bad, we didn't hold out much hope however true to their work someone rang about a hour later but the connection dropped within 2 seconds of us answering it. We assume they couldn't get us again as we had no more calls. Hubby received a text which had obviously been sent shortly after the call but didn't arrive until 3.00 am when it woke him up!

No signal again today so after having a mooch round the car boot sale (where our phones worked perfectly!) we popped into the 'Three' shop in town and spoke to the lady there who checked the coverage for our area and found we were only 'good' for outdoor (light pink) whereas previously we were on the 'good' for both indoor and outdoor (dark pink). This probably explains why we've been having a few problems anyway as it certainly wasn't light pink when we took the contract out last October otherwise we wouldn't have done so. Not happy as you can appreciate but unfortunately she couldn't do anything to end our contract without us having to pay to get out of it so the only solution was to ring the Tech section again as they were the only people who could waive the penalty. So that we could have a working phone we popped into the Vodafone shop and the chap suggested that we take out a contract for £23 a month (12 month contract) for unlimited everything in order to check whether it worked at home as, even though their coverage checker said it should, it couldn't be guaranteed - as they have a 14 day 'get out' clause we thought it wise to do this to ensure it would work which it does ... hence why I'm able to post this!

To cut a long story short, as we still didn't have a Three signal inside at all and very little outside, I rang them this afternoon and after a lot of time explaining the situation and the fact that we MUST have a usable phone and internet for one day, never mind until the 30th (I have a 94 year old Mum that needs to be able to contact me, and me her plus we need to do email, online banking etc). I was also not willing to wait and hope it was working to the usual 'good' indoor provision especially since we've been down this road before* so eventually they agreed to cancel the contract and waive the penalty, turning the existing sim into a PAYG one so that we didn't lose the number, I was then given a PAC code so I can transfer it to another provider in due course. (*I ended up having email correspondence and phone calls from the Three UK MD's PA to try to resolve it, which, even though we got free months etc, it was never sorted and there's no point in having it free if you can't use it so we ended up cancelling it then.)

Ultimately we've taken out a Vodafone sim contract via https://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-sim-only-deals on which there were 2 options suitable for us, namely unlimited with data speeds up to 2mbs for £23 (£14 after cashback) and unlimited with data speeds up to 10mbs for £26 (£15 after cashback), consequently we chose to go for the second one so that once 5G is rolled out hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of it and we though it better to 'future proof' by paying the extra £1 a month so we can download stuff more easily.

So at least I can now use my phone and internet again ... how I've missed you lot, even though it was only for a short period of time!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After some thought I now realise you need to take advice from DBK on publishing. I can predict, without a shadow of doubt that Ode to a SIM Card by Minxy will go viral.

I'm working on my lines for Breakfast TV, "Oh yes, I knew Minxy long before The Ode, she was quite handy with a saw in those days, but she always had this thing about SIMs".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Minxys just finished her pool, probably write a book about it to rival war and peace. Got to admire brick laying skills though.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
... after breaking out from Three mobile!

We've found Three okay for our needs but about a month or so ago started having issues with it cutting off and going slow at times but that was just a taste of what was to come ... yesterday morning we had NO Three mobile signal at all, not for phone, internet, or even emergency calls from what we could tell! After messing about for ages checking what the issue was, ie was it the phone, the sim, or the network, we finally deducted it was the network. As we knew they were doing work upgrading masts etc to 5G which tends to be done on a weekend we left it for a while but by 4.30 pm we'd had enough ... the only way we could hope to make a call was to stand outside in the rain and even then it kept cutting out. Eventually I spoke to the customer services technical section and they confirmed they were doing work in our area which was scheduled to continue until 30th July although they hoped it would be done sooner (yeah, right!!!).

I explained that this was not good enough as we had NO other phone we could use as all we had were our Three phones (1 PAYG & 1 contract), consequently I made a formal complaint and was told that, even though the technical section officially closed at 5.00 pm (which it nearly was) due to the issue we had, a manager would ring us back (there's a manager on duty all the time). Seeing as we mostly had no reception, and even when it did work it was very bad, we didn't hold out much hope however true to their work someone rang about a hour later but the connection dropped within 2 seconds of us answering it. We assume they couldn't get us again as we had no more calls. Hubby received a text which had obviously been sent shortly after the call but didn't arrive until 3.00 am when it woke him up!

No signal again today so after having a mooch round the car boot sale (where our phones worked perfectly!) we popped into the 'Three' shop in town and spoke to the lady there who checked the coverage for our area and found we were only 'good' for outdoor (light pink) whereas previously we were on the 'good' for both indoor and outdoor (dark pink). This probably explains why we've been having a few problems anyway as it certainly wasn't light pink when we took the contract out last October otherwise we wouldn't have done so. Not happy as you can appreciate but unfortunately she couldn't do anything to end our contract without us having to pay to get out of it so the only solution was to ring the Tech section again as they were the only people who could waive the penalty. So that we could have a working phone we popped into the Vodafone shop and the chap suggested that we take out a contract for £23 a month (12 month contract) for unlimited everything in order to check whether it worked at home as, even though their coverage checker said it should, it couldn't be guaranteed - as they have a 14 day 'get out' clause we thought it wise to do this to ensure it would work which it does ... hence why I'm able to post this!

To cut a long story short, as we still didn't have a Three signal inside at all and very little outside, I rang them this afternoon and after a lot of time explaining the situation and the fact that we MUST have a usable phone and internet for one day, never mind until the 30th (I have a 94 year old Mum that needs to be able to contact me, and me her plus we need to do email, online banking etc). I was also not willing to wait and hope it was working to the usual 'good' indoor provision especially since we've been down this road before* so eventually they agreed to cancel the contract and waive the penalty, turning the existing sim into a PAYG one so that we didn't lose the number, I was then given a PAC code so I can transfer it to another provider in due course. (*I ended up having email correspondence and phone calls from the Three UK MD's PA to try to resolve it, which, even though we got free months etc, it was never sorted and there's no point in having it free if you can't use it so we ended up cancelling it then.)

Ultimately we've taken out a Vodafone sim contract via https://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-sim-only-deals on which there were 2 options suitable for us, namely unlimited with data speeds up to 2mbs for £23 (£14 after cashback) and unlimited with data speeds up to 10mbs for £26 (£15 after cashback), consequently we chose to go for the second one so that once 5G is rolled out hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of it and we though it better to 'future proof' by paying the extra £1 a month so we can download stuff more easily.

So at least I can now use my phone and internet again ... how I've missed you lot, even though it was only for a short period of time!!!
Drone,drone,drone. Your internet seems ok going by this latest saga. ?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Don’t forget Minxy Girl that with that plan you are capped at 25g across the channel, but I bet you know that already. :gum:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
After some thought I now realise you need to take advice from DBK on publishing. I can predict, without a shadow of doubt that Ode to a SIM Card by Minxy will go viral.

I'm working on my lines for Breakfast TV, "Oh yes, I knew Minxy long before The Ode, she was quite handy with a saw in those days, but she always had this thing about SIMs".
... be very careful what you 'wish' for ... I do like doing ditties!!! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don’t forget Minxy Girl that with that plan you are capped at 25g across the channel, but I bet you know that already. :gum:
Yes I know, when away we don't do a lot on the internet etc so not a problem for us, up until now we only had 19gb with Three and never got anywhere near to using half of that.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Crikey I lost the plot reading all that....
How do you think I feel ... that was the abridged version of the aggro we've had ... I'm now totally ?

There's more to come to about Vodafone ... I'll post about that when it's all sorted out ...

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I just resigned up with three on an unlimited deal after I accidentally streamed several hrs of youtube at 1920x1080 and discovering that I had used 16gb of my 30gb allowance after just 2 days.. However when vodaphone do an unlimited offer ( not speed restricted) at a good price I'll change the Mrs phone over to it, that way we will have 2 different providers

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I just resigned up with three on an unlimited deal after I accidentally streamed several hrs of youtube at 1920x1080 and discovering that I had used 16gb of my 30gb allowance after just 2 days.. However when vodaphone do an unlimited offer ( not speed restricted) at a good price I'll change the Mrs phone over to it, that way we will have 2 different providers
Check out Vodafones offerings, they do a range of unlimited deals depending on what you need (entertainment, speed etc):

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yip I did do Mel, and their uncapped / unrestricted Internet is a lot dearer than three atm ( without going to a cashback site)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yip I did do Mel, and their uncapped / unrestricted Internet is a lot dearer than three atm ( without going to a cashback site)
.... so why not go to a cashback site? Mobiles.co.uk is part of the Car Phone Warehouse / Currys / PCWorld group.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Giffgaff........£20........40gb..........no contract ?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
.... so why not go to a cashback site? Mobiles.co.uk is part of the Car Phone Warehouse / Currys / PCWorld group.
Last time I used a cashback site they never paid me the cashback using all the excuses of the day

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last time I used a cashback site they never paid me the cashback using all the excuses of the day
If you're referring to Quidco, Top Cashback etc I agree, I wouldn't trust them, but this isn't the same as those sites.

If you don't want to have to remember to submit your payment details to get the cashback (you can do it online), there is also an automatic cashback sim option too, so you don't have to do anything, I think you get £30 less than when you do it, but it's still a saving on the full price.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update ... as I intimated previously we've also had issues with Vodafone. :mad:

As I mentioned in my opening post we took out a second contract via mobiles.co.uk in hubby's name but we found out the following day that he had been refused so he rang them and they resubmitted it with a different bank account to see if that was the problem (we hadn't had the original one for that long) ... nope, that was booted out too! Grrr .... :devil:

I therefore tried to do it as a second one in my name but received a 'can you call us' email and it turns out that as I'd got a sim contract 'in store' on Sunday I was not allowed to have a second one via mobiles.co.uk as apparently Vodafone restrict who can have them and don't like you to get another one within a short timescale! I explained our dilemma with Three and said he would speak to Vodafone to see if they would reconsider and let me know if it was approved or not. As I'd heard nothing back by late afternoon today I rang to find out and was told it has been refused ... no one had bothered to let me know though!

B*gger ... now what ... Hmmm ... ah-ha ... I know ... oh Mummy dear .... I submitted an order in her name with her address etc (she's okay with it) and waited to see if it would be kicked out too ... it's been approved and dispatched!!!! WHEY-HEY!

So that's £15 pcm for unlimited everything with a speed up to 10mps on a 12 month contract so long as we send in the cashback bills.

Phew ... never thought we'd get there!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back