Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
How many miles do you do in a year? Is there an acceptable yearly mileage for a used motorhome?, I am led to believe it is about 5000.

Trevor

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We only did 3000 last year, but it's usually about 5000.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
overall 21k in 9 years both owners

15k in 5 years in my owership

but the average will hopefully got up on retirement, but thats getting futher away:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
We allow for 7000 on our insurance. If we don't come close we've clearly been sitting in front of the tele too much.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just creeping up to 17,000 in 2.5 years and we are off to the Algarve just as soon as my C1 licence comes back, albeit via a long run down France via my sisters and at least half a dozen other stop overs that want us to call

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
In 3 years we have done 22,000km across UK, France, Spain Portugal, so 5000 miles is about right. This will change next year as we plan to be away lots.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
64,000 in 8 years or average 8,000 per year. We have unlimited mileage as there was no cost difference on our insurance.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We did just over 12000 last year, but we spent 6 months in Spain and do very few miles once we are there. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we only do about 3-4000 a year but do use the van as an office/getaway/retreat virtually every day. So maybe you should consider hours use rather than miles.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
done 5000 this year ,as this was my allowance i phoned up only to be told "no limit" happy days that's with safeguard in my auto trail my rv did 38 miles between mot's last 12 months so past with flying coulers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
About 6,000 per year for us at present - we didn't use it at all over winter due to the awful weather (just the odd run out to keep it sweet) and us having other major things to sort out at home during that time, it would therefore have been higher than that otherwise.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I don't judge by mileage. A vehicle can be only a few years old and have only done comparatively low miles - but if it's had a hard life - boy will that show! And on diesels, and most esp van engines - you can be in 6 figures and still have a darn good engine.

Judge everything together - the state of the upholstery, in terms of stains and damage, rather than wear or being faded or stuff like that, if we spill something it gets wiped up immediately as we would at home. If it stains, we clean it out until it isn't ! Check the trim on the edges of worktops and lockers - if it came loose, did the previous lot glue it back in before it broke - or did they just collect all the pieces and put them in the cutlery drawer, ready for the buyer to sort them out like a ruddy jigsaw ? (that one was at Oak Tree some years ago, oh how we laughed as we walked away from it .... and that was with the fullest of FSH you ever did see. He'd kept all the bills, but was incapable of purchasing a tube of glue. That's not exactly rocket science even to me, and I'm pretty DIY incapable meself. It's what you have a Man for - but in the absence of same you look it up and find out how to do it - and do it! Then you know it's been done.

Is anything that's supposed to be screwed firmly on, actually screwed firmly on? Is the floor badly worn or scratched etc? as well as eg the rubbers on the pedals and the handles and hinges on glove boxes and all the lockers ?

Has it got matching make tyres on all the wheels, or failing that - at least on the same axle?

Nob all to do with mileage really, is it ?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just had to increase our insurance limit from 5000 to 9000, as have done 4800 miles so far this year and got a tour of Scotland planned for September

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
My question would be has the vehicle got a service history far more important than how many miles it has done. Most newish Diesels are good for a quarter of a million miles if serviced correctly.

The other thing that puzzles me about limited mileage insurance is how do they know what miles you have covered when hey never ask what the odometer reading is?

Personally I have never been asked that question, I don't know why they bother as it appears to me that it doesn't affect your premium anyway!

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
My question would be has the vehicle got a service history far more important than how many miles it has done. Most newish Diesels are good for a quarter of a million miles if serviced correctly.

This is exactly the logic I had when buying a high mileage 2007 ex RAC 1.9TDi VW Transporter and having it converted.

I can say that a comprehensive service history counts for nothing. Neither does 'German reliability'.

Still love my van though.

The other thing that puzzles me about limited mileage insurance is how do they know what miles you have covered when hey never ask what the odometer reading is?

Personally I have never been asked that question, I don't know why they bother as it appears to me that it doesn't affect your premium anyway!

I started a new policy with A-Plan in February this year. I was asked for mileage at the start of the policy. I assume this is so if I am involved in a claim, they can refuse payout if I'm over my 25k per annum limit at time of claim.

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
The more miles you cover, the more you see! Ours is about 7500 a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back