Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We really want a motorhome but would not be able keep on our driveway as it it too short between house/garage and pavement. Does anyone store theirs at a storage facility all year and pick it up for days out, weekends and holidays etc? Is it feasible to do this, we do have somewhere very near. If so, how do you go about maintenance, cleaning, stocking up ready to go etc., as it's not near to you house. Trying to sort out some practicalities before getting down to the nitty gritty stuff. Thank you.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I pay for year round storage whether the vans there or not...
It would be a lot less hastle if the tasks you mention could be done around home . Ie cleaning maintenance stocking it up etc just requires a bit more planning if that's not feasible. .
But at least you are thinking about the problems...and only you can decide if that will work..
Andy

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We are lucky to be able to keep ours at home as we made a driveway to accommodate. We had a caravan before this and it was in storage so as @andy63 says you just have to plan a little more. Our caravan storage had facilities for washing on site and plenty of people did small maintenance jobs there too. If you have no alternative but to keep it in storage I would find the nearest and most convenient place to cut down travelling, etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I started with using storage for about 2 years before home storing as there was not enough hard standing at home to park on.
We used to fill the car with the clothes and perishables (kept a stock of tinned food on board to reduce the carrying back and forth and it gives a standby meal or two - FB pies - see other threads on FB pies :whistle:) and did a 10 min load/unload at the storage place.
Water and waste ect done at destination but could get water from storage if needed.
Cleaning was the only real pain as I had to use water drained from the fresh water tank and a brush and bucket but the site was not keen about it due to H&S
With a little thought and planning it isn't too inconvenient.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Our Motorhome is stored at a CaSSOA site which meets a security criteria and as such we get a reduction in our insurance premium. Not huge but goes towards the cost of storage.

So a condition of the reduction is our motor home is only supposed to be away from the compound when we are using it or it is being serviced and only at home for a few days before or after a trip, we are lucky we do have space to park it at home.

There is water available but a sign saying no repairs in compound but I have removed batteries for charging etc and seen visiting AA vans so there does seem to be a level of common sense.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We keep ours in undercover storage. We give 24 hours notice and it is moved to another secure compound. I pick it up and leave my car in its place. Then park it on drive, load it up and then off we go.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club so we could store our MH there, cost about £500 yearly and close to home. We could fill up with water and they had an area for cleaning units and another for servicing.

We'd collect it the night or morning before a trip and park outside our flat for loading.

We've recently moved to a place with a suitable drive but there's a restriction on parking 'caravans on wheels' amongst other things so we'll be using another storage facility at a marina near to our new abode.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We store ours all year round.
I can leave my car there and do maintenance work on it.

Some people prefer to use storage as it doesn't alert potential break ins at your home address as thieves don't know when you arnt there. If stored at home and your van is gone for a couple of days it may suggest you are away for a bit.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We keep in storage and travel from there. Never found it a problem, as said, just needs a bit of planning. Advantage is that people don't see the van coming and going from home.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
We keep ours in secure storage and can go in anytime/day during opening hours, we fill one of the cars and drive to the MH then transfer the kit and leave the car in the MH space while we're away.

Upvote 0

SimonC

Free Member
Jul 31, 2017
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Have been searching locally for storage as we don't have the room to keep it at home. Limited options around here supposedly due to the size. £500 annually but CaSSOA Gold so insurance premium reduction. Site rules do say no major repairs without permission, but services are available within the price. Will probably go for the 6month option as on the waiting list for more local sites.

Upvote 0

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
secure storage for us, we have got our turnaround down to 13 mins, although most of what we need is already on board and ready to go.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Despite having the room, we choose not to keep ours on the drive (mainly because of the security aspect); instead when not being used it lives on a CaSSoa Gold storage site about 15mins away. Just go and collect it the day before we go away to load up, do tanks etc - we don't worry about just one night on the drive. Can leave a car in the storage site if we wish.
However despite it being a CaSSoA Gold site, insurance company wouldn't look at any reduction in premium - turns out the storage site is in a high-risk postcode area, although they assure me they have never had any form of incident in over 35 years they've been there!

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We rent half of a barn, I have water and electric but no drain so have to make sure all the tanks are drained before taking it there. But can wash it on the apron outside and have loads of space so I can spend 8 hours doing a job I would not pay someone an hour to do!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back