Year 2000 Peugeot Boxer 2.5 turbo, anyone swapped one, tips? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Took our wee motorhome for a run yesterday & noticed a lot of blue smoke on acceleration. It wasn't like this on previous drive & the old girl isn't down on power. I'm inclined to think that its a blown turbo, thoughts?
If it was a split intercooler pipe I'd expect the smoke to be black, but this is distinctly blue smoke which gets heavier on acceleration, if it was faulty valve stem oil seals the blue smoke would be worse on the overrun or upon picking the throttle back up? The vehicle has 72k miles on the clock & has a full service history.
The vehicle has the PSA group 2.5litre 12valve engine & not the 2.8 ducato engine.
Has anyone changed one of these turbo's themselves & if so, how difficult or easy was it?

Thanks in advance....Robert.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most common, as op suggests, is turbo oil seals. The turbo will continue OK until the bearing fails). If you are still running it be very careful that it doesn't suddenly swallow enough oil to run on with no accelerator pressed. It's something that's possible with failed turbo seals.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Sorry cant help on op question , but if there is a haynes manual covering your base vehicle , might be able to get some idea from that . If it is sideways engine then probably have to work on from underneath to remove from rear of engine . So will need ramp or pit . Probably not technically challenging but a right pita for access HTSH

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
as op suggests, is turbo oil seals. The turbo will continue OK until the bearing fails). If you are still running it be very careful that it doesn't suddenly swallow enough oil to run on with no accelerator pressed. It's something that's possible with failed turbo seals.

Yes turbo seals are favourite culprit for me too. Oh joy lol. No need to keep running the vehicle & having seen a few diesel engines doing a runaway I'd be in no hurry to risk that.

Blue smoke will be oil burning, surely the turbo can't be kaput if there's no loss of power ?

Thanks for your suggestion mate, I wanted as many opinions as possible, in case I was missing something obvious. As @tonyidle says the turbo seals can be gone but turbo carries on until the worst happens.

Sorry cant help on op question , but if there is a haynes manual covering your base vehicle , might be able to get some idea from that . If it is sideways engine then probably have to work on from underneath to remove from rear of engine . So will need ramp or pit . Probably not technically challenging but a right pita for access HTSH

Yes the engine is transverse & the turbo is right at the back but sadly AFAIK there is no Haynes manual. I do have a small workshop manual but its hardly the most comprehensive of books.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes turbo seals are favourite culprit for me too. Oh joy lol. No need to keep running the vehicle & having seen a few diesel engines doing a runaway I'd be in no hurry to risk that.

Thanks for your suggestion mate, I wanted as many opinions as possible, in case I was missing something obvious. As @tonyidle says the turbo seals can be gone but turbo carries on until the worst happens.

Yes the engine is transverse & the turbo is right at the back but sadly AFAIK there is no Haynes manual. I do have a small workshop manual but its hardly the most comprehensive of books.
The only manual I found when I had a van with that engine was by Peter Russek - probably the one you mention as I found it useless too. I assume it's the engine with alternator & vac pump over the bell-housing and driven from the camshaft?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
In that case first job is get underneath and see what access is like ,
see if you can get to all the turbo mount nuts. If you can then that would save having to remove manifold, just oil feed and return , and
anything else directly connected .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not thinking pulling engine but I do have a engine lift if you nead it and ramp's
Probably best to get reconstruction part or replacement exchange unit
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back