Year 2000 Benimar 6000 ST Electrical distribution panel as fitted... (1 Viewer)

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
I have been assisting with the refurbishment of the above MH. Finally after 6 months work we have plugged the van into to mains. The 2 x leisure batteries will require replacement however we have been able to connect a stand alone charger directly to check up on the 12v appliances. This has been a success, but the batteries don't hold a charge for long. Now when we connected 230VAC to the system expecting about 13.8v from the transformer/rectifier, probably switch mode unit I was alarmed to record 15.3v on my meter. I am familiar with BCA power supply/battery charging units fitted to many caravans and MHs but I have no idea the manufacturer of this elderly Benimar 6000ST power unit.

Another question is as the leisure batteries are in poor condition could this be a factor in the increased voltage output from the power supply unit? I first clicked the DC voltage was high before even checking with my meter was the pressure of the fresh water when a tap was opened, increased speed of the pump. When we checked the thetford loo flush, the water spun round the bowl and some spilled over the edge of the plastic bowl!! I fitted a stand alone volt meter in the DC circuit and it is sitting at 15.3v with many lights on which apart from the pump and a kitchen extraction fan, Truma heater fan are the only DC loads. Any suggestion please.

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Just an update, after removing the driver and passenger seats we finally accessed the leisure batteries. Without any wiring diagram, as time was short and we needed to install the new L26-75ah it was impossible to trace and wiring, a job for another day! As we knew the batteries were unserviceable, completely dry!! With a small amount of work on the securing arrangements and a new piece of ply under the passenger seat unit we had the batteries in place and connected. The voltage normal on multimeter and additional voltmeter. We started the engine and the voltage increased with alternator charging. Now the final test, connect the mains hookup, the voltage increased as the mains charger started working but the voltage was normal again. Phew!!
Another area to check is the factory fitted solar panel, we are 95% sure it is not working but as the solar controller is part of the Spanish built power control setup we are not sure if the panel is defective or it it a controller fault. Again without any circuit diagram or details we are in the dark!! We have located a very competent company who would undertake repair of the unit, the manufacturer of the original hearsay only could be “Face” I have googled without success a Spanish company who produced these units 20 years ago.
The panel includes AC input with RCD etc., and MCCB, 12V power supply unit, battery charger, solar controller, DC distribution with fused circuits and a multitude of other functions, including waste water tank solenoid dump valve (doesn’t function) clearly it’s a multi functional unit. We could remove the unit but at present it’s not possible to undertake this task.
At least the van will function with or without a hookup with normal DC voltage, phew!!
When we can get to the solar panel wiring up in the above cab area we will cut into the pos/neg and check the open circuit voltage, if any!!
If any members have knowledge of “Face” it would be great to hear from you.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you looked on the Benimar FB forum in files section?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Thank you from North of the border, I will give it a go. I’m a blown away Eastie Beastie from Arbroath now in Devon. Hope to get up North later if things settle down🤞🤞
Haven’t had a pint of heavy for years🍺🍺

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back