LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I was having a nosey around the streets of Joinville in France on Google Maps street view when I came across this Yamaha two seater sidecar outfit and though it looked pretty neat.
Can't remember the last time a sidecar outfit on the road, but it seems like they were everywhere when I was a kid.

1620314781767.png

1620314800008.png

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sidecar scrambling / motocross great to watch always scared the heck out of me just watching, Give me my BSA B44 Mk4 Metisse and I was at one with it. A chap near me has been collecting chair outfits for several years he has a barn full including Weslake powered.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sidecar scrambling / motocross great to watch always scared the heck out of me just watching, Give me my BSA B44 Mk4 Metisse and I was at one with it. A chap near me has been collecting chair outfits for several years he has a barn full including Weslake powered.
I had Triumph 650 before Norton and fitted A.R.E barrels and head but it ended up scrap not long after Weslake was a bit better but Atlas 750 or early commando was the engine of choice due to having a mag I did not have 850 money in those days
Your front wheels in the air, who needs their hands on the bars.... :Eeek:
Always keep your hand on the throttle or it slows down 🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
At one time a motorbike and side car was a means of family transport. My father moved from a motorbike to a van for family transport because of his job requiring a van.
His mate managed with a motorbike and side car with three kids. His wife and the two smallest kids in the side car the eldest boy on the back of the bike.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Here's mine
At 19 I tried a mates kneeler outfit with a BSA a65 motor in it from memory I think he had taken it to 850 but did not get on to well being 6ft 3 but still a hoot back then 🤣 then we changed around and I got on the chair we went a bit quicker then 😮

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Here was mine, two pics taken at different times of our second outfit with a 750cc Commando engine. When we got our first outfit (a 650cc Triumph), my mate and I went for a practice at Snetterton to see who was to be the the rider, and who was to be the passenger. We did three laps with John riding and me as passenger, pulled into the pits and swapped over. I did one lap, pulled in and said to John, "you ride and I'll be the passenger", his reply was "thank f*** for that" :ROFLMAO:. Happy days (y)

Cheers

Trevor
John and Trev 2.jpg
John and Trev 4.jpg

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Here was mine, two pics taken at different times of our second outfit with a 750cc Commando engine. When we got our first outfit (a 650cc Triumph), my mate and I went for a practice at Snetterton to see who was to be the the rider, and who was to be the passenger. We did three laps with John riding and me as passenger, pulled into the pits and swapped over. I did one lap, pulled in and said to John, "you ride and I'll be the passenger", his reply was "thank f*** for that" :ROFLMAO:. Happy days (y)

Cheers

Trevor View attachment 493820View attachment 493821
Back in the early 70's I used to work for a really nice gentleman who raced outfits as a hobby, all over Europe and the IOM TT, his name was Roger Dutton. Roger had some really nice outfits.

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Post No16 Tibbo that is so lovely, I missed out on a deal with a flat tanker and wicker sidecar a few years ago always regret not going higher to secure it.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I have recently owned two outfits, both on 1500 goldwings.
The first was a single seat flexit. One of only 2 in the country at the time. Its wheel was central at the rear, it had a cockpit type screen that worked electrically fron inside or from the bike. It was quite unique in that it moved with the bike, as you banked the bike over the sidecar banked with it. Not to be confused with the old sidewinders.
We traveled extensively with this outfit and could be quite amusing to see people's faces as you approached tight bends and just banked in as normal and at quite a speed. It was a single seater so when second daughter came along I swaped the bike and bought a twin seat side car. This was totally diferent to ride but fun all the same. Right handers no trouble left handers a bit more challenging. I have found memories of lifting the side car on left handers with the two girls in it, quite a giggle they thought. Again we travelled all over Europe to goldwing rallies and summer holidays. A trailer was also part of the ensemble with the necessary push chairs, potty, numerous nappies etc, two kids require. Good times.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I was for many years yes. I was the rep at Trent Wings for about 5 years.
Had many good weekends and planned trips with that lot.
One of our best was when I organised a trip to Germany and we had 25 bikes attend. The hotel must have made a mint that holiday and the bar next door.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I was for many years yes. I was the rep at Trent Wings for about 5 years.
Had many good weekends and planned trips with that lot.
One of our best was when I organised a trip to Germany and we had 25 bikes attend. The hotel must have made a mint that holiday and the bar next door.
We were in Yorkshire Wings from 1991 to 2011. Other MHF members of GWOCGB were Shirley Blossom , Anthea Offagain , Brian Baldeagle7470 . I'm sure we must have met somewhere over the years as we did plenty of Wingdings and Treffens both here and abroad. I do remember a 1500 Flexit outfit in Wineberry in either Trent or Lincs Wings.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We were in Yorkshire Wings from 1991 to 2011. Other MHF members of GWOCGB were Shirley Blossom , Anthea Offagain , Brian Baldeagle7470 . I'm sure we must have met somewhere over the years as we did plenty of Wingdings and Treffens both here and abroad. I do remember a 1500 Flexit outfit in Wineberry in either Trent or Lincs Wings.
Yeah the wineberry one was the other one . My mate from Chesterfield Trent winger. Mine was green some times blue depending how the light hit it.
I was a member from 1987 to 2000 After my so was born. I gave up trying to do the bike thing with three kids. Sold up and bought a caravan and a fireblade.
Our paths must have crossed at some point, we were out every other weekend. Even tried the brass monkey one year.
Belgian Treffen was our favourite though, always cold but great fun. I'll dig some pictures out when I get home, on east coast at the minute soaking up the Ray's.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Yeah the wineberry one was the other one . My mate from Chesterfield Trent winger. Mine was green some times blue depending how the light hit it.
I was a member from 1987 to 2000 After my so was born. I gave up trying to do the bike thing with three kids. Sold up and bought a caravan and a fireblade.
Our paths must have crossed at some point, we were out every other weekend. Even tried the brass monkey one year.
Belgian Treffen was our favourite though, always cold but great fun. I'll dig some pictures out when I get home, on east coast at the minute soaking up the Ray's.
Hi, I remember the wineberry one. We will have crossed paths at several points I imagine, as we went to lots of wing dings and treffens. My ex and I ran Hampshire Wings for a few years. We split up in 1997 but he carried on with the club and still has a Wing now, I believe. I then bought myself a Shadow as a wing was too heavy for me.
We should have an ex GWCoGB meet!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
My Dad had the venerable Norton 7 outfit. Dad, Mum and 3 kids + a lively collie dog. Poor old thing gave up the ghost on the way home to Surrey, where we were then living on the way back from Devon, where he was originally from. We had to get the train home, and the bike was beyond economical salvage.
When racing MX years ago we hated being the next class on the track after the outfits had been out, they took different lines to us and left HUGE furrows everywhere. Exciting to watch, especially at Manor Farm in Hampshire [ The Ken Hall] which was a formidable track on a solo, let alone in an outfit. Used to love the wail from the EML Jumbos as they got up on the pipe, and could those things fly, metaphorically and physically.
I used to source bits from Robin Rhind Tutt for my very early KTM MC250, air cooled MX bike Reynolds tubed frame.
My garage looks quite sad now with just the little Honda Wave 110i scooter in there :frowny:. Wall to wall kayaks :happy:. Lee Valley white water course yesterday, huge fun.
Mike

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sadly Robin passed away a while ago.My best mate who I have known for 40 years and Marshall with at the TT was his cousin.
Apparently as well as being a brill engineer also had an amazing collection of bikes,sadly I never got to see them,now sadly gone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back