XXL Sleep - Like adding a temporary slideout bed on rear of van conversions (1 Viewer)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think the concept works, but they've overcomplicated it. You could do it with far fewer parts. You just need a tent part, two long runners and a load of bed slats. The heavy metal for the end just takes space to store and time to assemble.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No spare 120 kg in our PVC !
Edit, or is that max weight it will take ?
Either way, I don’t see it catching on.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
That looks like the engineer who discovered a method of neatly filing down 50p pieces to make perfect 10 Pence pieces !
Looks like they couldn't see the woods for the trees in the end 😄
Safari room solves the “problem” with less weight penalty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A case of those who don't use the vehicles designing a so called 'solution' to a problem they don't understand!

Totally ridiculous and very, very complicated! They could've designed it much more simply, eg rather than having to create a bed etc base with the numerous bits and pieces a pull out base from under the existing bed (between the supports and the bed frame) with drop down flap and legs to the ground would have saved a lot of unnecessary connecting of various bits and bobs with another base to go at the van floor level and one for the rear.

The biggest issue is though that you cannot leave it unattended as you're insurance would be void as the vehicle wouldn't be 'locked'.

If I wanted an extension I'd use an awning on the rear and a support for the bed part only which could be removed easily for when you want to leave the van and allow you to close the rear doors without dismantling everything.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
A case of those who don't use the vehicles designing a so called 'solution' to a problem they don't understand!
I do believe this is the case with established designers who work for many of the leading brands, l have lost count of the times l have said why don’t they do this that or the other whilst using a MH and then gone on to add l don’t think the designers actually try living in a MH.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Seems like a lot of faffing about to me, must admit it looks better inside than it does out.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Might as well have a caravan

"Oh its chucking it down no point in staying on site let's go to the nearby castle. Oh hang no let's just sit in the van in the rain"

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Think I’d prefer a drive away awning, you could use it daytime and nighttime and leave it there if you head out.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On top of all the other points already made... I think this is a bad idea as it is going to put a lot of strain on the hinges with the door open that they weren't designed for.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I wonder how many kits they hope to sell? Based on the fact that most people have a PVC for flexibility and by having this fitted up you cannot go anywhere.
I fail to see the point of it, drive away awning will do the job better, less weight, less time faffing about and you will probably still have a little space for your useful stuff.
puts a big NO from me.👎👎👎👎

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The first time I put that away on a rainy, windy day, the whole thing would go in a skip

On my camper, I get my phone, tap the app and the slides go out automatically 👍🏻

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What I don't really understand is why you really want it ... if you already have a double bed at the rear what real difference does it make?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
On top of all the other points already made... I think this is a bad idea as it is going to put a lot of strain on the hinges with the door open that they weren't designed for.
Yup, that thought struck me too as it seems very over-engineered and likely heavy before you even put a 'body' in it! I was wary of putting the bikes on the rear rack on our PVC due to the weight on the rear door (even though under the 35kg limit) and that was when the door was closed and supported at the bottom with the van's bodywork.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back