Xtra-PC USB stick Linux operating system (1 Viewer)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I see lots of adverts for Xtra-PC USB stick Linux operating system

Seems too good to be true - anyone familiar with it?

@Gromett - As a Linux fan maybe you can help?? :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A quick Google found one for about $40. Given you can get Linux free this doesn't seem a great bargain. Worth a try if you want but you will have to fiddle with the settings to get the Pc or laptop to boot from USB.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have put Linux mint on my redundant Sony laptop, ended up completely dumping windows on it as I was struggling to get it to boot up on the USB drive on a regular basis. However playing with it in some respects it's very smooth in others it's downright complicated. Whilst it's fulfilling getting a series of terminal commands correct it is sometimes something I end up doing multiple times to get right.
There are several windows based programs I use daily and getting these to run has been impossible so it has not been too productive for me personally.
Also I rely on Outlook and have 15gb PST files with "my life" in them, and neither thunderbird or evolution come close in my opinion, let alone exporting the pst's to them!
You could assume I am a Windows fan, you would be wrong and it would be good to find a better solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A quick Google found one for about $40. Given you can get Linux free this doesn't seem a great bargain. Worth a try if you want but you will have to fiddle with the settings to get the Pc or laptop to boot from USB.
Yup, you're basically buying a USB stick with a bit of their own software (allegedly) on it as they can't sell Linux itself as they don't own it and it is open to everyone to use for free.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Thanks MG - as it happens I'd already read that one but really would like some 1st hand experience from a user if possible - for example will I still be able to access "outlook", google search, use my printer? etc. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks MG - as it happens I'd already read that one but really would like some 1st hand experience from a user if possible - for example will I still be able to use my printer? etc. :)

I just put the link up so people knew what you were talking about as Linux users might not have been aware of the stick.

I've not used Linux but from my understanding on it, especially as I've been 'educated' by Gromett on here, is that there are some things it won't be compatible with so your printer may, or may not, be okay ... only way is probably to try it with a downloaded free version of Linux - I'm sure @Gromett can direct you to the best place to get this from. As you'll still have your original Windows system on the machine anyway if needs be you should be able to go back to that to print if it's really necessary, not ideal I'll give you but it depends how much printing you do!

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
As far as your pst file goes, I'm afraid not - it's a file type owned and managed by Microsoft asd they have no interest in letting other apps use it. You could play around with converting it to other file types, but given that it's 15GB, I wouldn't take the risk.
If it's only for archive and occasional use, you could use convert the whole laptop to Linux - Linux lite is pretty good for an older lower spec machine - then install a basic Windows virtual Box machine with Outlook on, solely for accessing the archive - it won't be fast but it would work.
As for the rest, Google and printing etc, no problem at all. I'd recommend using Vivaldi or Opera browser - Firefox is getting a bit fat these days and no so quick.
Enjoy !
:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I stopped using Firefox ages ago, to slow and clunky and didn't like some websites at all ... can't beat Chrome IMV with Lastpass installed to safely store passwords.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would avoid this myself unless you are desperate to get linux and want to do absolutely nothing yourself.
They give zero technical details and it is pricey for what it is.

You can build a similar thing yourself for the cost of a USB stick. Simply download any (most) Linux distribution and install it to a USB stick and you are ready to go with a live experience.

USB sticks will always be slower than a hard disk install. However, some distributions are extremely compact and can be loaded entirely into memory. running from USB long term is not sustainable in my opinion as you really don't get the best from the OS.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
they can't sell Linux itself as they don't own it
Erm sorry to disagree with you. You can sell Linux... Why anyone would pay for something that is free elsewhere is another matter though.

Linux is not just free in cost. It is free and in free to do with it what you want. You can hack it, modify it, change it and even sell it if you want... The main rule is that if you make any changes and sell those changes you have to give the source code to those changes back to the community...

No one person has the copyright over linux. It is a copyleft OS under the GNU V2 public license.

PS: Redhat the biggest Linux company sells their version of Linux for $349 per license.
https://www.redhat.com/en/store

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am starting to think there may be enough people interested enough now to have a linux rally.
I would consider hosting it and doing demonstrations of how to install linux and what you can use it for. The benefits over windows and the shortcomings etc etc...

There are a few things I would need to pull together and there would have to be enough interest in it to make it worth doing...

Initial thoughts are, We would need a marquee big enough to fit everyone in, a projector so everyone could see what was on my laptop screen as I talk you through it etc etc.
Also somewhere to host it, that has power and internet access...

It would be summer next year before I could do this, due to time constraints with work etc.

Open to ideas.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I stopped using Firefox ages ago, to slow and clunky and didn't like some websites at all ... can't beat Chrome IMV with Lastpass installed to safely store passwords.
I use both. Firefox has improved dramatically over the last year or two. I have the following set up.
1) Firefox with ad blocker, noscript and other defences. This is used for normal browsing of the internet. Totally locked down..
2) Chrome with no defences other than my hosts file blocks. This is used for safe stuff like banking, and trusted sites. like ASDA, Github etc etc. I don't do youtube or social media in this for tracking reasons. It is also my main development browser as it has better dev tools these days.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I would avoid this myself unless you are desperate to get linux and want to do absolutely nothing yourself.
They give zero technical details and it is pricey for what it is.

You can build a similar thing yourself for the cost of a USB stick. Simply download any (most) Linux distribution and install it to a USB stick and you are ready to go with a live experience.

USB sticks will always be slower than a hard disk install. However, some distributions are extremely compact and can be loaded entirely into memory. running from USB long term is not sustainable in my opinion as you really don't get the best from the OS.

Thanks Grom - at home I run windows 10 on a 6 year old Novotech desktop using Chrome as my browser and McAfee for protection. (I used to run Firefox but got fed up with it) The PC is now a bit slow but not too bad. I use it nearly every day for Banking, Amazon, Finance portfolio, Google Calendar, MH Fun, Facebook, email (Hotmail & Gmail) Wicki, storing photos, Google search etc.etc. & printing occasional docs (probably about 2 or 3 times a week)

Would switching to Linux on the same PC be much of an advantage given that my needs are fairly simple and if I were to switch just how easy is it to do and would I have all the facilities that I have with windows 10?

When away in the van I have a Chromebook which is perfectly adequate for what I do when "on tour"

Thanks again for your help

T

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A quick Google found one for about $40..

Last week or so I posted a link to an Ebay seller selling a bootable Linux DVD for a pound or so. That's the most you need to pay for Linux.

In fact the whole Linux / Windows debate took place there.

A search for Linux Mint by Hilldweller will find it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks MG - as it happens I'd already read that one but really would like some 1st hand experience from a user if possible - for example will I still be able to access "outlook", google search, use my printer? etc. :)

I have put Linux mint on my redundant Sony laptop, ended up completely dumping windows on it as I was struggling to get it to boot up on the USB drive on a regular basis. However playing with it in some respects it's very smooth in others it's downright complicated. Whilst it's fulfilling getting a series of terminal commands correct it is sometimes something I end up doing multiple times to get right.
There are several windows based programs I use daily and getting these to run has been impossible so it has not been too productive for me personally.
Also I rely on Outlook and have 15gb PST files with "my life" in them, and neither thunderbird or evolution come close in my opinion, let alone exporting the pst's to them!
You could assume I am a Windows fan, you would be wrong and it would be good to find a better solution.

The migration from Windows to Linux can be a bit tough for some people as they have years sometime decades of learning invested in windows. Linux IS different from windows but no harder, just different.
The outlook question is a common one believe it or not... I have been on thunderbird for almost 20 years now because outlook is too buggy and problematic. Believe me when I say this. I used to run a pretty large hosting company and employed people to do technical support as well as doing tech support myself for over 30 years now. The vast majority of the calls related to email were caused by outlook.

The solution? There are two. One you can bite the bullet and migrate to thunderbird. You can migrate a .pst file to thunderbird but it is not a simple case of clicking a button and letting it do it. An intermediate solution, is to run a windows virtual machine inside of linux. For this I would recommend virtualbox. This means you can use Linux for everything then just run outlook in this virtual machine in a window on your Linux desktop with no need to swap between the two OS's with dual boot. This works for virtually all applications except for Games.

As for printers. Linux comes with most printer drivers built in... 2-3 years ago I installed Linux Mint for @Jim on a spare laptop of his. He asked me to get the Dymo label printer working on it. I have never installed a printer on Linux before and doubted a Dymo would work... Within a few minutes it was up and running without having installed any additional drivers. I was gob smacked.

For email I have one further suggestion. Please start using the IMAP4 protocol instead of POP3... POP3 is an ancient protocol that actually downloads your email from the mail server and removes it from the mail server. That is all it does. You can then organise the mail on your local machine into folders. Synching or moving to a new computer involves moving folder and hoping nothing bad happens during the process. IMAP4 works differently. Your email is managed on the server. When you connect your local machine is synchronised with what is on the server. You can have automatic sorting on the server so emails go into the right box server side. This means you can have 2,3 or many computers connected to the same IMAP mail box and they will all be synchronised. For instance I have multiple IMAP mailboxes on my main computer. For business, personal etc etc across multiple domains. On my phone I just have the important ones. I also have the same mailboxes on my tablet an laptop. So when I am out and about i still get my emails and they are also present on my other computers/devices.
The final advantage of IMAP is that when you get a new computer, you just add the IMAP mailbox and it will download the emails again for you without you having to migrate them..

With pop3 if you have multiple accounts, it will dump ALL emails from all accounts into a single inbox. With IMAP4 you have separate INBOX's and folders for each account..

There are ways to do some of this with pop3 but they are not reliable.

The PST system is massively flawed unfortunately and until you get free of it you don't realise exactly how bad it was.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Grom - at home I run windows 10 on a 6 year old Novotech desktop using Chrome as my browser and McAfee for protection. (I used to run Firefox but got fed up with it) The PC is now a bit slow but not too bad. I use it nearly every day for Banking, Amazon, Finance portfolio, Google Calendar, MH Fun, Facebook, email (Hotmail & Gmail) Wicki, storing photos, Google search etc.etc. & printing occasional docs (probably about 2 or 3 times a week)

Would switching to Linux on the same PC be much of an advantage given that my needs are fairly simple and if I were to switch just how easy is it to do and would I have all the facilities that I have with windows 10?

When away in the van I have a Chromebook which is perfectly adequate for what I do when "on tour"

Thanks again for your help

T

Switching to Linux is one of those things that are highly personal. Could you do it? YES... Is it worth doing? how long is a bit of string?
You will end up with a faster cheaper system with less interruptions for updates. It will be easier to use for the most part. It can do anything you currently do that is browser based. Other things it depends. It will support most if not all printers. The only two things there that I can't guarantee is Finance portfolio as I don't know what software you are using and printers as I don't have a printer and very very rarely need one. (I think I have needed a printer 3 times in the last 10 years).

Chromebooks are based on a stripped down version of Linux and then they put on their overlay.

munkey_bwy

Free Member
May 17, 2018
Holbeach
Funster No
MH
Rapid 690 low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If you want a windows experience on Linux go for Mint and boot it live from a usb stick. If you have an old PC try Lubuntu if you still want something easy to work with (but be warned if its installed Lubuntu does get optional security updates on an almost daily basis) so it could eat your data allowance if you are mobile. if you want security i would try a live version of 'Tails', its not for the faint hearted though.
I run Lubuntu as my media server / boinc box in the house as it is pretty rock solid and not resource hungry.
On the browser debate there are many other options other than chrome or firefox, each linux desktop comes with its own favorite. I use chromium on linux for general work, but epithany and ice weasel are nice there is always Opera and Tor if you are looking to get to sites that may be blocked in the country that you are in.

if you are having problems with printers and there are no direct drivers for your printer give CUPS a try, it can fix a lot of problems.

munkey_bwy

Free Member
May 17, 2018
Holbeach
Funster No
MH
Rapid 690 low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We would be a total linux household if only Autodesk would port Auotcad to linux. Until then i will have to put up with Windose.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
@Gromett - thank you so much for all your help - you are a star!! :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
if you are having problems with printers and there are no direct drivers for your printer give CUPS a try, it can fix a lot of problems.
Cups is just a print spooler/ print server. Doesn't tend to help if you have drivers problems and adds to the complexity of the system in my opinion.
I would get the printer working directly but adding complexity like print queues and print servers etc.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We would be a total linux household if only Autodesk would port Auotcad to linux. Until then i will have to put up with Windose.
I would look at using KVM on linux to run a close to the hardware windows virtual server. You can go full screen and it will act just like you are running on windows. If you have 2 graphics cards you can do PCIx passthru and operate at full speed. I used to do this for games... Saves having two computers or dual booting.

I don't really play games these days so have gone full on Linux with a very small separate hdd for a windows install that rarely gets used. When it does get used it normally takes anything from half an hour to an hour to get all the updates install before I can start using it :(

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've just had another look at the Xtra-PC site. Aren't they breaking some of the Open Source licence terms? Should they be declaring and making available any Open Source Software that they use on these sticks?

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I've been looking at at a version of Linux called Zorin that seems to play on it's Windows-like features and even says it will run Windows progs via Wine....

Haven't got far with it yet but looks interesting...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've just had another look at the Xtra-PC site. Aren't they breaking some of the Open Source licence terms? Should they be declaring and making available any Open Source Software that they use on these sticks?
If they are doing any work themselves, adding to or editing any code then yes, they should be releasing this stuff. However they are not even telling us what distribution they are based on or what desktop they are using. There is so little info there I suspect they are just burning an existing distribution and selling the linux on a stick thing. That is allowed.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've been looking at at a version of Linux called Zorin that seems to play on it's Windows-like features and even says it will run Windows progs via Wine....

Haven't got far with it yet but looks interesting...

Not played with Zorin but it has a reasonable reputation in the community. Not stellar but no serious complaints that I have seen. It is based on Ubuntu with a Gnome 3 desktop so it is not anything special or unusual. Linux mint is also based on Ubuntu which is in turn based on Debian.

Wine is ok, but it only works out of the box for straight forward applications, for other stuff you have to play around and tweak stuff. I have played with it a few times and it is a nightmare even for me.. If you have time and only need it for Gold rated apps then have a go :)

I never tried Zorin because I didn't like Gnome 3 that much. I much preferred Gnome 2 so went with Cinnamon which is a fork of Gnome 3 but reworked to operate like Gnome 2. I have since however moved to XFCE which is even simpler and harks back a bit to Windows XP... It is lightweight and fast.. Very rarely do I get a desktop hang where I can't do anything, in fact can't remember that last happening. Happened quite a bit on KDE desktop which is why I will never go back no matter how beautiful or slick it gets.

Anyway, sorry for rambling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Erm sorry to disagree with you. You can sell Linux... Why anyone would pay for something that is free elsewhere is another matter though.

Linux is not just free in cost. It is free and in free to do with it what you want. You can hack it, modify it, change it and even sell it if you want... The main rule is that if you make any changes and sell those changes you have to give the source code to those changes back to the community...

No one person has the copyright over linux. It is a copyleft OS under the GNU V2 public license.

PS: Redhat the biggest Linux company sells their version of Linux for $349 per license.
https://www.redhat.com/en/store
Interesting, I thought you couldn't sell Linux as it is in it's standard format, but if you modify it you can as you then are adding your own 'value' to it, I agree I can't see the point in paying for it though when it's available free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back