Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Hi to all members , we are considering driving down to south of spain for xmas leaving approx 17/12 returning approx 6/1/09.

are there any members who have done this in the past ??

any advice on route ?
warmest part of spain ?
time span distance ?
is it a reasonable proposition ?

can t fly ,but want to visit a warmer climate for xmas ..

any help or advice would be greatly appreceated ,

thank you in anticipation.

rayval..:Smile:. lady jann.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Ray, you need to chat to tina about that she has done the journey several times. Glad to hear you are finally easing up and Spain much healthier for you in the winter. Take a steady drive down to Gibralter, then you can pick up some real cheap banana yum yum for me (even cheaper by the case) hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi to all members , we are considering driving down to south of spain for xmas leaving approx 17/12 returning approx 6/1/09.

any advice on route ?
warmest part of spain ?
time span distance ?

Hi RAY,
I take it you mentioned SPAIN to John and Sandy White at Malvern?:RollEyes:

They have done the trip a few times.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Hi Ray, you need to chat to tina about that she has done the journey several times. Glad to hear you are finally easing up and Spain much healthier for you in the winter. Take a steady drive down to Gibralter, then you can pick up some real cheap banana yum yum for me (even cheaper by the case) hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whats this Banana yum yum then?
Just come back from Northern Spain, Got my supply of Ron Miel, Lovely drop of goldon nectar.

Cant wait to go back, Hopefully over Christmas.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

any advice on route ?
warmest part of spain ?
time span distance ?

A mate of mine is always off down there, often during the cooler months as he doesn't like it hot! I've never been to Spain myself but from what he's told me any part of Spain will always be warmer than here....even if it rains!

As for route, he takes his time as he doesn't need to rush like the rest of us who work for a living! Look at the most direct route though if you want to save money you will need to avoid any toll roads.

Think of how much its going to cost you this winter just to switch a single bar on one tiny little gas or electric fire and that should answer your question as to whether its a 'reasonable proposition' or not!

One things for sure, you won't be alone. Spain is packed full of 'brits'! (not so sure if thats a good or bad point!)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Whats this Banana yum yum then?
Just come back from Northern Spain, Got my supply of Ron Miel, Lovely drop of goldon nectar.

Cant wait to go back, Hopefully over Christmas.

Banana yum yum is a nickname coined by some bright spark on here for my tipple of choice, actually more commonly coined creme de banana, or licor de platano, as brewed in Tenerife. I have run out and my overseas holidays are many moons away so anyone who would care to bring back a bottle or crate for me will be praised to the MH god. (cannot afford stupid UK prices)

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
going down to Spain!

:Eeek:One thinking going down in Dec just may snow!we went down on the 20th Dec two years back and all most got on the boat back at bilbao as it was so cold.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Eeek:One thinking going down in Dec just may snow!we went down on the 20th Dec two years back and all most got on the boat back at bilbao as it was so cold.

:roflmto: That's because it is in the North. :ROFLMAO:

:RollEyes: However. It has been known been known to Snow on my Birthday (18th of December if anyone wants to wish me a happy 65th?) around the Costa Blanca. :cry:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi Lady Jan,we are going to Spain again this year,we usually travell via Dover and take a leisurly drive down through France and through one of the tunnels,this year Jan 10th we went through the Bielsa tunnel and had to use snow chains on our van so beware you can encounter snow,I would not go for such a short time personaly as if you work out the cost short stays cost more . I will send you a private P>M with our phone number if you would like a chat as I can probally help you with lots of queries,best wishes,Vindiboy,Malc.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We used to bucket shop new year in The Canaries and really enjoyed it.

So envious of you as would love to copy your plans:thumb:

Go for it:thumb:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Banana yum yum is a nickname coined by some bright spark on here for my tipple of choice, actually more commonly coined creme de banana, or licor de platano, as brewed in Tenerife. I have run out and my overseas holidays are many moons away so anyone who would care to bring back a bottle or crate for me will be praised to the MH god. (cannot afford stupid UK prices)

I did think that was the tipple, yes quite partial to it myself as an alternative to the Miel.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Ray we had 5 weeks down there this year Jan / Febuary, you will not want to hang around in France, we had snow and ice all the water is turned off so take plenty with you, for sites get the ACSI camping card book most sites will be 14 euros a night or 30 without it! We have friends in Torrevieja so thats as far south we went and spent most of our time around Javea,but the further south you go the warmer it gets. We are not great lovers of Spain its not a safe place to be, and most of the people wintering go for longer. I liked Road Runner reply we use to go to Tennerife at christmas if you can get cheap enough flights I know a great appartment for 2 in Los Giganties you will never want to leave. PM if you want the phone Number we will find it for you. work out what it will cost for the Ferry Fuel and Campsites its not cheap, and you would get a good price for say 3/ 4 weeks in an apartment and its warmer! Good Luck Bob.:thumb:

sugarplum

Free Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hallow, Worcs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 yrs
Hi Lady Jann

I'm with vindiboy on this one....... OK when you get there, but can be a trial [cold and icy] en route.
Much better to ferry to Santander if you can, although you can still get brrrr..... over the mountains.
But agree - too far for such a short time.
Spent fantastic winter in Albufeira last year, cracking campsite........

good luck

alice
ps know what you're saying , bobandjane, but what about the mutt?

Last edited:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Hi Sugarplum

Was the site in Albufeira with the camping and caravan club ? if so was there 2 years back very good.Back to my last post it was going down France that was so cold and part of Spain on the way to Albufeira.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi sorry forgot all about the poor dog as ours is 14 and has been for the vet twice see has no passport so she has to stay at home! Well I would say head for Javea ;

Camping JÁVEA ¤¤¤ Jávea (Alicante, Spain) - Camping

I think that would be far enough and its quite nice around that area, the site cost us 14 euro a night with the ACSI card and 60cents a day for Wifi, we went down from Dover and did it in 3 days, but it does not mater where you go in spain you will not be on your own. have a good one. Thanks Bob.:thumb:

flyboy

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi,
We do this trip every year, this year we are pushing on to Moroco. We have travelled down in December and had no problems with the weather, although it can get cold on the way down. We go over on the train spend the first night near the terminal then it is a three day run to Benidorm. I would not dream of trying to go further in the time you have. Weather there is usually good although there can be some wet days. If you want further information just PM me for my telephone number.
Best of luck with the trip you will love the adventure.

sugarplum

Free Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hallow, Worcs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 yrs
Hi potjoe

it was Parque de Campismo, in Albufeira and was brilliant. Tempted to go again this winter, met loads of great people who go every year, but we try to go to different places, so much to see....... going to try Italy this winter, .Been there??
maybe ferry to Greece......

alice

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Gonewiththewind

How did you get £550 return?

I got £360 one way. They wouldn't let me book a return as I am coming back next year. BTW this was for a 30ft MH giving 6 months advance booking.

Ian

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I paid £270 (single) for a 6m motorhome - travelling out just before Xmas, I guess length makes quite a difference :winky:

C

camper

Deleted User
Camper

Hi
We spent Christmas in Spain three years ago and although we are not fond of Spain got on O.K.
We wild camp 99% of the time and if it is any interest to you spent Christmas and New Year at Almerimar and had a good time with other wild campers.
To find the camping spot turn off the coast road at El Edjido and follow the road down to Almerimar, after about 4 Miles you will come to a roundabout oposite a supermarket turn right and follow the road, you will see car parks on the left with no camping signs but eventually come to one where camping is allowed, failing this keep folowing the road and look out for campers on you left in Guardias Viejas.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Sugarplum??

Let us no how you get on with Italy as we thinking of it this winter but it`s back to Spain!:RollEyes:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Gonewiththewind

How did you get £550 return?

I got £360 one way. They wouldn't let me book a return as I am coming back next year. BTW this was for a 30ft MH giving 6 months advance booking.

Ian

Link Removed..

P

patricio

Deleted User
Perhaps a nice alternative on the sunny Costa Blanca. Nice site close to Benidorm.
9,5.-Pounds/Night, including electricity and WIFI. Special prices for longer stays.
Camperpark Costa Blanca

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
xmas and new year

hi there
just read your message xmas in spain i am trying to get the same information as you .
we are traveling on the same dates.theres one called camperpark costa blanca between benidorm and altea witch one of the members posted.
may see you at the ferry port.
thanks steve.

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Perhaps a nice alternative on the sunny Costa Blanca. Nice site close to Benidorm.
9,5.-Pounds/Night, including electricity and WIFI. Special prices for longer stays.
Camperpark Costa Blanca

Heading down few days before xmas are the prices for the site the same if you just stay for a week,or do you have to a stay the 30 days to get that price and do you have to book..we just want to stay over the xmas period we don`t normaly use sites ,we are then slowly heading towards Portugal ,we have a lot of wild camping places we can go but not nr Benidorm.We have about 4/5 months so no hurry to get there ....
Val

Last edited:
P

patricio

Deleted User
Heading down few days before xmas are the prices for the site the same if you just stay for a week,or do you have to a stay the 30 days to get that price and do you have to book..we just want to stay over the xmas period we don`t normaly use sites ,we are then slowly heading towards Portugal ,we have a lot of wild camping places we can go but not nr Benidorm.We have about 4/5 months so no hurry to get there ....
Val
Hi, sorry for the delay in my answer.
The Daily price is 12.-€, (+/- 9,5 pounds) if you want the special price (10.-€/day) you have to stay for at least 1 month and you pay the month upfront on arrival.
The Xmas period last year we where full but if you come a week before you should not have a problem.
We don't take reservations for administration reasons but you can contact us a bit before your arrival and we will do every thing posible to keep a pitch availble.
Hereby a flyer with the locationplan and contactinfo:
http://www.camperparkcostablanca.com/flyer_CamperparkCB.pdf
Sunny greetings,
Patricio

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Spain

We have wintered in Spain for the past 3 yrs Jan - Mar. as we live in Plymouth we take the ferry to N France and stop on Aires or ACSI sites on the west coast of France.In Spain we stay at Roquetas de Mar (under Almeria in the Caravan Club book), and Conil north west of Gibralter. On any site there will be a few long stay Brits so pick their brains as there are so many lovely places to see in Spain Good luck and I know you will enjoy it

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
"We are not great lovers of Spain its not a safe place."
Quote Bobandjane,

That's a pretty sweeping statement, what evidence do you have to support it ?

Spain is, IMO, no more or less safe than any other country in the EU and also, IMO, a much safer place than the UK,

Pete:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back