X290, where's the 'reverse' wire (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
It's 2.3 manual from 03/2015 which I think is X290.

I dis-assembled the plasticky bits surrounding the gear lever hoping, naively perhaps, to find a switch that's activated when reverse is selected. Hugely disppointed of course ... :rolleyes:
Do I assume then that the switch is mounted on the gearbox somewhere, or is there an easier way to turn on my reversing camera automagically ?

Cheers 'n' Beers

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Wire it directly to the leisure battery through a switch which you can reach from the driving seat, I have mine on all the time as it’s like having a rear view mirror.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
"Hugely disppointed of course ... :rolleyes: "

Switch would probably be on the gearbox.... major PITA. Run a cable from the reversing light, Ident the cable, trace the loom as far back as you can, tap into that or find it in the fuse box, (if its there)and tap into that. Just make sure it will not upset your CANBUS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Bum :ROFLMAO:

It's dual camera device with it's own control box that was fitted by the supplying dealer. It was supposed to be plug and play so that when I had fitted h/u of choice I should've just been able to plug the video feed into the back. When I finally got around to investigating they'd installed the camera and routed the cable(s) into the depths of the dashboard and left it. No power connection, no reverse connection ... had a moan but to little effect.

The long-view camera is selected by default; need a reverse signal to switch view when I'm going astern.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Bum :ROFLMAO:

It's dual camera device with it's own control box that was fitted by the supplying dealer. It was supposed to be plug and play so that when I had fitted h/u of choice I should've just been able to plug the video feed into the back. When I finally got around to investigating they'd installed the camera and routed the cable(s) into the depths of the dashboard and left it. No power connection, no reverse connection ... had a moan but to little effect.

The long-view camera is selected by default; need a reverse signal to switch view when I'm going astern.
Mine is a dual camera but can switch either by touching a monitor icon or with the remote control.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The reverse light switch is mounted on top of the gearbox itself but there is a reverse light signal available in the drivers side dashboard fusebox. When you've removed the lower dash trim (knee trim) panel you will see the fusebox, on the left hand side you will see a multiplug protected by a metal plate. The reverse signal is on one of the wires in this plug, you will need to check it with a DMM to establish exactly which wire, I can't remember the colour code off the top of my head but it is definitely in that plugs wiring bundle.

D.

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I removed the light cluster, and found the reverse bulb had a lovely pink insulated conductor connected to it. Brill, I thought that'll be easy to follow ... as far as the connector where it changes to purple - and there's another purple conductor too. So gave that up.

Had a look at the fusebox, #51 is for reversing light ( and a raft of other stuff) but hesitated to try and find which conductors are connected to it. I'll have another gander in the morning ....
Cheers Dave

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I gave up ......
Tomorrow I'll be fitting a SPDT center-off switch that'll enable me to manually select rear view/off/reverse. All-in-all it's been a right PITA, especially fishing out the camera cable from behind the dash. Live, learn and apply the plasters ...
Thanks for the help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back