X230 Fiat Clutch Replacement (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

My Clutch bit has always been right at the top (covered 120,000kM). I am wondering when I should be looking to replace it?.

Now?
Wait until it starts to slip?.

Also, has anyone ver had a Fiat X230 Clutch replaced on an A Class?. Seems many people are reluctant to take on the job. Stating that its a big job or that the front end has to come off?.

TM

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Also, has anyone ver had a Fiat X230 Clutch replaced on an A Class?. Seems many people are reluctant to take on the job. Stating that its a big job or that the front end has to come off?.
There is a company at Peterborough that has quoted me before for doing a clutch on a 2008 Fiat A-Class - around £1,000 IIRC, and without cutting the front off :confused:.

Hollis & Brown Autotech Ltd: http://www.peterboroughmotorhomes.co.uk I suspect they're a long way from you, though.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
It's not too bad a job on a normal van fronted MH, but on an A-class with usually much more limited access through the usually idiotically tiny bonnet access and possibly restricted undertray access it'd be an utter pig.
Front shouldn't need to come off, as all work is from underneath (apart from reaching in from above to get at some bolts)....assuming you can actually get them from above!
My bet would be 6 man-hours labour, plus cost of clutch, gearbox oil and other odds and ends.
If you're going to get it done, make sure you specify full clutch, AND check which aftermarket brand they are proposing to shove in (google for reviews of the various suppliers offerings).

On many older model Ducatos, the clutch start slipping not because it's worn out, but because someone has put engine oil in which isn't viscous enough (it's too modern spec and runny) for their old crankshaft oil seal to cope with.....oil then starts to weep though that into the clutch bellhousing, and then starts to contaminate the clutch which then starts to slip.
Make sure the garage doing the job is ready to closely inspect the oil seal whilst they've got the clutch housing off, in case the crankshaft oil seal needs replacing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
There is a company at Peterborough that has quoted me before for doing a clutch on a 2008 Fiat A-Class - around £1,000 IIRC, and without cutting the front off :confused:.

Hollis & Brown Autotech Ltd: http://www.peterboroughmotorhomes.co.uk I suspect they're a long way from you, though.

Had the clutch changed in my a class Hymer last November by them , cant rate them highly enough. top people.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
It was about 875 with a new duel mass flywheel , all L U K parts.
Mine is a Merc base though . Fiats are a transverse engine so a bit more tricky.
I would definitely use them again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
My Clutch bit has always been right at the top (covered 120,000kM).
TM

Now you mention it, that matches ours all the time we've had it. Slightest touch on the pedal and it slipped. I think it's the way the non adjustable system works and ours show another "feature", a hydraulic restrictor presumable if we lift the clutch too fast it stops anything breaking but for a few miles in freezing weather it needs the throttle backing off after a change to let it grip, then as soon as the engine bay warms up it's OK.

The only place I found to tackle it was EARS Macclesfield. And they moaned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Thanks.

Ours is the X230 lhd registered 2001

Our current MH is a 2001 Ducato 2.8JTD.
Currently on about 107,000 kms and original clutch is absolutely fine....pedal sits just a little higher than brake pedal, and it bites about half-way up.

Previous two MH's were both earlier Ducato models, with the 2.5TD engine.
Both bought well used at well over 120,000 kms and so far as I'm aware both were on original clutch, as we got comprehensive servicing info on both.
Both then very very well used by us, perhaps for another 60 to 80,000 kms. Neither had any clutch problems throughout those distances.

I do make a very conscious effort never to ride the clutch, and not to overstress it; I change down as soon as the engine starts to labour in the very high 5th gear ration when climbing any real hills, and aim to match the revs so that when taking foot off clutch there's as little slip on the bite as possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back