WSPR - HF Ham Radio Reception (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In this thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...rcraft-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-an-sdr.219017/

I mentioned that I'd only got involved with tracking aircraft because I was having a few teething troubles with what I was really trying to do which was to receive weak radio signals from as far away as possible. Well, it fills in a bit of Lockdown time. :)

The technology I was trying to get to work is called WSPR which stands for Weak Signal Propagation Reporting and it is pronounced "whisper" which seems appropriate as these signals can be incredibly weak. I'm not sure what the record is but transmissions of just a few mW can be heard thousands of miles away - if you have the right antenna - more of which later.

The system was invented by a very bright bloke in the US who had previously won a Nobel Prize - although not for WSPR I think. The transmissions operate in the HF band and consume a tiny amount of bandwidth. A popular frequency is in the 20m band and operates at 14.095,600 MHz and occupies at that frequency just 200Hz of bandwidth. Each transmission takes up even less as it changes up and down over just 6Hz over a two minute period to send the packets of data.

Here is the equipment I am using.

IMG_20200530_112545.jpg

The silver thing in the upper right is a software defined radio (SDR) dongle which plugs into my PC with a USB cable. The blue box was what I needed to get this to work. Many have been able to do this without one but I think because of where I live and the difficulties of raising a good antenna here I found it essential to pick up any signals. The problem is the £30 SDR isn't designed for HF frequencies, they are too low. What the blue box does is adds 125 MHz to the signal so it falls into the range the SDR can work with. You can buy SDR dongles which will work directly in the HF band but they are £150 upwards. :) The blue box is called an up-converter and is powered from a USB battery pack as this apparently gives less noise than using a normal mains powered phone charge.

In the upper left is a thing call a Balun to which are attached two 5m long wires. These are the antenna and form a dipole. Others have got results just attaching a long wire directly to the SDR but this didn't work for me but I will try it in a week or so when another bit of kit called an "Unun" arrives which is specifically designed for long wire antenna.

This is how I'm using this.

IMG_20200531_155915.jpg

The up-converter and SDR are just inside the window the Balun pokes outside.

IMG_20200531_155944.jpg

One wire goes to an upstairs window.

IMG_20200531_155949.jpg

Probably a bit hard to see but it runs from a third of the way down the right hand side of the photo to the open window. The other wire is at right angles to it and runs to the top of a wooden fence.

The clever stuff is on the PC. The SDR is controlled by a free program called SDR# although there are others available. Here's shot of it working.

5.jpg

The large blue part of the image is known as the waterfall and it shows what signals are being received. If you look carefully you may see a white streak running from top to bottom. This is a WSPR signal and it is barely discernible from the background noise.

The really clever stuff is the program which takes this noise saturated signal and separates out the WSPR data. The free program which does this is called WSJT-X and it was written by the Nobel Prize winning bloke. When you launch it two windows open up. One shows the WSPR signals.

7.jpg

Each of those vertical bands are examples of the two minute long WSPR signals. They are not all vertical because my cheap SDR drifts a bit, especially when first switched on until it has warmed up. If you look at the top of this image you may see a feint green line between 1400 and 1600. This is the 200 Hz wide window the WSPR signals need to be in. By tweaking SDR# the signals can be moved into this band. If you look at the SDR# screenshot you can see a ticked box called Shift and opposite this you enter the Up-converter's addition of 125 MHz but it is possible to slightly alter this to bring the WSPR signals into the sweet spot they need to be, which is why it shows -124,999,940 and not -125,000,000. This is arrived at by trial and error. SDR# has another way of doing this but the jumps were too big. Altering the Shift was more gradual.

The other window WSJT-X displays has the decoded WSPR signals.

6.jpg

In the bottom right is a green bar showing 34/120 this bar moves during each two minute window and in the last few seconds decodes any transmissions received. It can handle multiple signals at the same time. The text which fills the main part of the window are the WSPR signals and for an beginner like me the main bits of data of interest are the last one, which is the distance the signal has come from in kilometres and the Call sign and Grid of the sender. You can feed any of these into a website and it will show you with varying degrees of accuracy where the signal originated. Near the bottom is one from 1779 Km away and entering the call sign of HA6QL into this website shows it came from east of Budapest.

8.jpg

It is possible to receive WSPR signals in Europe from North and even South America but that needs a better antenna than I've got at the moment. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Grid is either in 4 or 6 letters/numbers long. The commonest are 4 long and they give a rough approximation of location. I've just received a signal from JN63 which comes from the rectangle you can see on Italy's eastern coast.

9.jpg

A six figure grid gives a smaller range. JN58VJ is near Munich.

10.jpg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
This is interesting, a hobby that could be carried out even in filthy weather or a lockdown. I do fear it would lead me down that dark path of expensive kit and ever more esoteric equipment.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is interesting, a hobby that could be carried out even in filthy weather or a lockdown. I do fear it would lead me down that dark path of expensive kit and ever more esoteric equipment.
My goal was to try and do it from the MH. The aircraft spotting can be done from there - and is at this very moment running from the van with a removable antenna mounted on the bike rack (see photo below). But this WSPR project is a little more involved. SDR# can be run from a Raspberry Pi but installing and running WSJT-X on a Pi is a little more involved but can apparently be done. I have a Pi 4 now which should have the CPU oomph to run it. I'm just pleased to have received a few signals signals using the PC but I'll have a look at a Pi installation at some point.

IMG_20200529_112930.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There is a couple in one of our MH Groups, whom we see periodically.

The first thing he does once pitched up, is to set up his weekend Ham Radio gear, often erecting an extremely long thin antenna, horizontally, although he also has a vertical pole type antenna too.

I had a distant uncle years ago who was an electrician down the Killoch Pit in Ayrshire, Scotland, who was a serious Radio Ham. He had a shed in the back garden devoted to nothing else, and a huge antenna, almost like a miniature electricity pylon. This would have been mid to late 60s. I was fascinated by it all...................but not enough to want to take it up later in life.

I admire your enthusiasm and willingness to share your knowledge with others DBK.

Nice one. (y)

Jock. :)

• Thanks
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I heard yesterday there is a system available for the Raspberry Pi which may be suitable for use in the MH. Details are here:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a description how to install it. Unfortunately, I've got problems with my new Pi 4 at the moment and I think I need to return it. The WiFi isn't working as it should but if I can get this sorted I will give this a go.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I heard yesterday there is a system available for the Raspberry Pi which may be suitable for use in the MH. Details are here:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a description how to install it. Unfortunately, I've got problems with my new Pi 4 at the moment and I think I need to return it. The WiFi isn't working as it should but if I can get this sorted I will give this a go.
Strangely enough I was just going to ask how you would be getting on with the Pi having only just purchased one myself, never used a Pi before and quite impressed with it.

I have to say the WiFi and Bluetooth are working fine. Just ordered a Pi Zero to make as a bird box Cam.

If you saw another post I did I added a heat sink case with fans and it stays cool idling around 37-38 degrees at the moment

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 13.29.09.png

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Bring back the old 2 meter days. We could then send out a cqdx when parked up on an aire saying no vacancies or room for you.
G4SKK

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A propos of nothing really and I don't know why but I find these radio posts fascinating (a pal and I operated illegally with an ex-Army No. 18 RX/TX set each in our teens) and they make me chuckle as they always remind me of the hilarious Radio Ham sketch by Tony Hancock. E.g:

"It is are here not raining in Tokyo also".

"Did you get the tray of Mother's bread pudding that I put in the post? Oh, and thanks for the case of Slivovitz".

"Hello Mayday, hello Mayday, yes I'm receiving you but I keep losing you as your signal's drifting so put your anchor out......"

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
All those long nights as a youngster wasted crouched over an ex-army radio (R108 rings a bell) listening to chatter on "top band". The three next door houses let us string up a 160mtr band long wire over their roof.
Just think, over 50 years ago.
Phil

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A propos of nothing really and I don't know why but I find these radio posts fascinating (a pal and I operated illegally with an ex-Army No. 18 RX/TX set each in our teens) and they make me chuckle as they always remind me of the hilarious Radio Ham sketch by Tony Hancock. E.g:

As a Signaller in the TA in the '60s I used to operate one of those in the back of a Landrover. Being valve sets they were very power-thirsty so had to keep the engine running.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
As a Signaller in the TA in the '60s I used to operate one of those in the back of a Landrover. Being valve sets they were very power-thirsty so had to keep the engine running.

Indeed so. We started off using the large and very heavy army surplus dry batteries with waxed cardboard casing but they didn't last long so we eventually obtained mains power units delivering (I think) 90v and 2v.
I was in my school cadet force and we had quite powerful No 19 sets with which we managed very distant communications from a Nissan hut in the school grounds (handy place to use with a few bottles of Woodpecker cider and communicate 'in the flesh' with the young ladies from the adjacent girls school ;) )

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
All those long nights as a youngster wasted crouched over an ex-army radio (R108 rings a bell) listening to chatter on "top band". The three next door houses let us string up a 160mtr band long wire over their roof.
Just think, over 50 years ago.
Phil
60 years ago for me. I had an aerial about 50m long made from unwound transformer thin copper wire and strung to my bedroom from high up an Ash tree at the bottom of the garden. It broke regularly.
We got loads of stuff at an army surplus store in Brighton which was like Aladdin's Cave for 15 year olds.
We had several legal ham enthusiasts telling us we were 'Pirates' and they would report us to the Post Office Communications Dep't. but we were never visited.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As a belated update to my WSPR activities here's what I did today. I now have a "proper" radio which can transmit as well as receive. It's an ICOM 705 which I bought mainly for its MH friendly small size but also because it can be connected to a computer with just a normal USB cable.

So today I tried a WSPR session on 20m (14MHz) and was amazed by the result after about an hour. I tried it last week and picked up signals from Melbourne in Australia, over 17,000 km away! But today I tried transmitting and this is who heard me.

Screenshot_20210121-210734_Chrome.jpg

The one in the Falklands is interesting. Not bad for 10W. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I really enjoy reading about your fascinating developments/experiments so please excuse a couple of really dumb questions as my sole knowledge of such activities is from the Tony Hancock 'Radio Ham' sketch. :blusher:

Do you transmit Morse or speech?
How do you know they heard you?
In view of time zones do you have to stay up to contact say, Australia?

(See, I said they were dumb questions).

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I really enjoy reading about your fascinating developments/experiments so please excuse a couple of really dumb questions as my sole knowledge of such activities is from the Tony Hancock 'Radio Ham' sketch. :blusher:

Do you transmit Morse or speech?
How do you know they heard you?
In view of time zones do you have to stay up to contact say, Australia?

(See, I said they were dumb questions).
Not dumb questions at all. :) The system is basically computers talking to each other. I'm running a program called WSJT-X on my PC and every 8 minutes it commands the radio to start and tells it what to send and how to send it. The transmission takes two full minutes to send and the message is only about 12 characters long, my callsign, location and the power of the transmitter. The signal is a continuous tone with a modulation of just 8Hz. This is how the data is sent, so it is a sort of morse code but based on just two tones. At the receiving end the WSJT-X program uploads the data to a website - which is where the map above comes from.

It's not a system for having a conversation on! The original idea was to show how far different frequency bands can be heard. I'm still a beginner but I've already realised how frequency and range alter over the day.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The system is basically computers talking to each other. I'm running a program called WSJT-X on my PC and every 8 minutes it commands the radio to start and tells it what to send and how to send it. ............I'm still a beginner but I've already realised how frequency and range alter over the day.

Thanks.
I find it all mind-blowing, but most of all if that's what a 'beginner' can do at home with relatively basic and inexpensive technology it does make me wonder what governments and commercial entities are doing with their highly sophisticated equipment.
As a mechanical engineer I find it frustrating being unable to 'see' the wondrous processes that are going on inside modern electronic equipment. Ever since I was a kid I've been used to taking things apart to understand how they worked. Nowadays there's nothing to see and one chip or black box looks much the same as any other but perform vastly different tasks.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Ham radio is not expensive to get started. I made a morse key, a receiver and a qrp transmitter with change out of £10 in the 1980s. I now use a yaesu ft857 and a 40m rotatable dipole in the van. G4TJB

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ham radio is not expensive to get started. I made a morse key, a receiver and a qrp transmitter with change out of £10 in the 1980s. I now use a yaesu ft857 and a 40m rotatable dipole in the van. G4TJB
The QRP mini kit is a CW transmitter which costs about £75. I'm still trying to learn morse!

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I have a few friends who are Radio Hams.....One in Belgium but he still use's his EI callsign number. I was the bad boy back in the day though.....Ran Pirate Radio Stations on FM and SW......Amazed how far 100 watts will ytravel with the right skip conditions on SW (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back