Wrapping (No! Not that music stuff) (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

The bonnet of our 'van is starting to look a bit wartorn, nothing drastic but there's a few tiny blemishes caused by flying debris.

I am considering wrapping the bonnet and possibly the front wings but was wondering if the tiny rust specks would need serious treatment before I had them covered.
If that is so and anyone out there has done it on a used van as opposed to new, could they please give some pointers as to how they went about it.

With the greatest respect I'm not after a discussion as to the aesthetic appearance or otherwise of wrapping the front end. As can be seen from my avatar, our 'van isn't exactly a white box and wrapping the front end would not be it's only piece of non paint on it.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi I used to have a bonnet bra on my van that was good it lasted about 3 years and saved a lot of paint chips, bought from e bay made of cushioned vinyl and tied on under the bonnet, worth a look:)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Hi I used to have a bonnet bra on my van that was good it lasted about 3 years and saved a lot of paint chips, bought from e bay made of cushioned vinyl and tied on under the bonnet, worth a look:)

Did it stop saggy suspension on your front end though? ;)

Seriously, I'd make sure any paint chips are treated with rust converter and touched up with paint prior to wrapping. A place I worked at had their fleet of vans done, some of which were used, I don't recall any issues with rust bubbling underneath.

Wrapping can work very well - I've seen complete cars done to change their colour, you'd never know they didn't come out of the factory in their new colour when done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have wrapped my van to tart it up. Here is the post about doing the bonnet.
https://www.fulltiming.info/self-build-motorhome/vinyl-wrapping-van-part-2

If there is rust there then you do need to treat it first. However after treating I recommend filling any tiny holes and smoothing it down so that it is level with the surrounding metal. Small dips in the paintwork where rust was will leave a bubble under the surface of the vinyl which will expand on hot days and look terrible.

You can get rid of them by pricking with a pin and using a teflon squeegie to get the air out. Not a perfect solution but worked ok for me.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got the local body shop to spray mine in silver, looks a treat.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Been thinking of having this done, but who does it?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our local sign guy does it, try yours.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Here you go Sue;
www.myvehiclewrap.co.uk/‎
www.envisageprint.co.uk
www.hullcarwrapping.co.uk
printbyg4.com/vinyl-wraps
myvehiclewrap.co.uk

Spoilt for choice, aren't you!!!

The usual applies. I have no connection etc. I found these on Gangle or something.(y)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
King wraps, check them out on Internet. It's a mate of mine and he is good. Based in the Kidderminster area. Ask to speak to Ben.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When I worked for a company called Ice Energy we had our vans completely wrapped, they looked fantastic as do the Sky vans but after three years they started to fade and bubble a bit on the edges but a bonnet would be a great idea and I might nick it. (y):D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did mine in 2011 I think, Diy job, still looks ok however it is plain white vinyl.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back