Would you want your stolen motorhome returned ? (1 Viewer)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We have always said that if our motorhome was stolen we definitely wouldn't want it back ,my wife wouldn't sleep in it again.
We sold our Winnebago after it was broken into but not stolen.
How do others feel and would you want your van returned ?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Yes".... Providing it was not damaged...

And I found out how they managed to nick it...

Then I would beef up the security on how they got it away.. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Has anybody actually ever had one returned? Luckily on this forum theft is a relative rarity, but of those I recall and plenty on FB none ever seem to reappear

I wouldn’t want mine back if stolen though

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Other point, if it's not returned intact, your insurance will pay out .. but next year you will have a bigger premium ..

so for that reason alone, yes I'd want it back and sell it if need be

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
No, & I'd sell a house if broken into.
Hi.
We did,in the New Forest,after the forth time,i was working away,Jennifer on her own. She came back from walking the dog in the forest and a Police officer was waiting outside the house to interview her,not long into the conversation he said. "Its no wonder you are burgled,you are never in......" Good job she did not have a full time job then..We folded our "tent"(y) and moved back to Derbyshire,problem solved.
Tea Bag

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Depends on a few things.
If the insurance paid out what the motorhome owed me then id rather have the money and if buy another.

If the payout was less than what I believed the van to be worth and it wasn't damaged then I'd have it back ..but id likely sell it.

Would never feel the same after it had been nicked

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The time between it being borrowed and the found would have to be a big factor apart from possible damage /missing

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I could never feel as though it was my van any more. Would get rid of it. No matter how good security is .. house or car .. if they really want it then they find a way ... I would just hope I didn't have a screwdriver to hand.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
On a similar theme where do all the stolen motorhomes end up?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Too many circumstances to be certain which way I’d go but I think I’d start to pursue a payout immediately and use it as an opportunity to make a change.

Buying new again could take many months, but at least you could correct the things you got wrong the last time.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Ireland is a favourite destination.

That is why I feel our RHD MH in Poland is not a likely target - 'It's a long way to Tipperary!'

Back to OP question, as others said if not trashed I would want it back, because it took long enough to find it.

As for others having used it, slept in bed etc., I just say to myself 3 previous owners did that.

Geoff

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I definitely would want it back...

Many years ago I had my motorhome taken from outside the Kennedy Hotel at Euston Station.

Several weeks passed and I had already sourced a (bigger and better) replacement when I learned from the Police that they had found my stolen van and would I collect it from their pound.

When I arrived at the pound, the man said I should prepare myself because the thieves had trashed the inside of the van.

You've already guessed it!

I opened up the van (rear entry) and found it EXACTLY as I had left it. It had been parked up in the carpark of the nearby council tower block and just left alone (unlocked) for weeks.

The point is that when going through the stuff, I found loads and loads of items I had forgotten I owned and was delighted to have them back.

I guess I am, and always have been, a lucky person.

(and I bought the bigger and better van too.)

JJ :cool:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Other point, if it's not returned intact, your insurance will pay out .. but next year you will have a bigger premium ..
Even if it was returned 5 minutes after you informed them they would still increase the premium due to the fact that it had been stolen & the likelihood that you would be targeted again.
There isn't a lot of difference between those who steal it & those who are supposedly insuring it.:(& as for the 'brokers' , who are supposed to be working for you.:mad:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I would want ours back, as with hotel beds many have used them before and since we have. If it really bothered me I would simply change the matress. Because someone else drove it wouldn't unduly worry me, unless you are the sole owner, again someone drove it before you ... even a new vehicle has been driven by someone, in a previous life I used to deliver new cars to their owners and can state categorically that I never abused the engines .... but then I lie too.;);)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Even if it was returned 5 minutes after you informed them they would still increase the premium due to the fact that it had been stolen & the likelihood that you would be targeted again.
There isn't a lot of difference between those who steal it & those who are supposedly insuring it.& as for the :('brokers' , who are supposed to be working for you.:mad:

A truly independent broker should be working for the insured, but many are tied to Insurers, and if one reads the samall print at the bottom of their stationery, it says so.

From what I know of the Brokers and Insurers in the MH Insurance Market, few are truly independent.

Whenever I contact a 'Broker' I ask what their relationship is with Insurers. Many persons who answer the phone have to ask superiors - scandelous.

Gus, I am sure you know the Law of Agency and probably are equally cautious, so I presume the emphasis in your post was intended to be on the word 'supposed'

Geoff

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you bought it (or an house) secondhand where's the difference. Unless of course, they had the plague They might have made some improvements. We once had ours and a neighbors boat broken into and we both had a load of tinned food nicked. They caught the toe rag and the police returned all the tin food. Our neighbor wouldn't touch it, we had it of him and ate all - no problem

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back