Would you pay £10 per night for electric? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If we had paid the going rate in each car park we stayed in, one day would have cost us OVER £30.

I stopped visiting the Lake District for quite a few years for the same reason. Your hand was never out of your pocket & one particular car park, the National Trust Kettlewell car park on the shores of Derwentwater took the biscuit. There's nowt there & I do mean nothing but, the wee man was there every day with the "half day rate" being the one he wanted to charge. It just got silly, so we changed locations for a while with York becoming a favourite. Abandon vehicle at Rowntree Park & use the money we'd saved to dine out twice a day....Win win situation.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We stayed at Woodville Park, outside of Newton Abbot, they charge for "letric". It's on a card system, they load the card with £5 worth when you go in. We stayed 4 nights, took the card back when we left and were refunded just under £3.
Good site by the way, Bus stop at the Gate, five minute walk to Garden Centre/Farm Shop, there is a pub near by too but we didn't go to it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
I agree Cornwall does like its high car park charges.
Colyn there are also ones that a free or have Honesty Boxes Porthostock and Coverack are two examples but it does come in handy if you live locally.Coverack down by the Paris Hotel.
Phil

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
(Mind you, under those circumstances, I would need the electricity to kick start my system into action...)

JJ :cool:

Clever things those pacemakers (n)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
£10 a night for electricity?

I wouldn't pay £10 a night for a very, very naughty working girl... :whistle:

(Mind you, under those circumstances, I would need the electricity to kick start my system into action...)

JJ :cool:

You never learn you !!! Don't you know, that I always read the posts you think I won't read:whistle:
We'll have a chat about how you're using your pocket money when I'm not around:sneaky: !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You never learn you !!! Don't you know, that I always read the posts you think I won't read:whistle:
We'll have a chat about how you're using your pocket money when I'm not around:sneaky: !

Don't worry, he's not spending much :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi Phil , yes local knowledge helps. It's still a lovely part of the country though.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My next door neighbour has a 15 acre caravan park, it cost him over 5k for the cables for just part of the pitches to have electric.
He then had to pay SSE a fair few pound to connect him to the grid with the larger supply, he would not be making that outlay back if he sold the electric at cost!!
I think his bill at one time was over 6k a month before he started metering the electric, he had some leaving heaters on all day when they were out..

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
On the one hand I can say that I have never been an excessive user of electricity and on the other I am very pleased that I have 300 watts of solar panels ready to go on the roof of my MoHo.:)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
its not that technical to install an individual billing system or a pay as you go type set up , there is no truely fair way for a camp site owner to recover the initial cost of putting in the supplys to the pitches,and apart from the initial cost then there is the additional cost of regular inspection and the repairs if any .

i do think that a tenner a day in summer is way to high , but whats the ROI after you start to add things such as hard standing,water,sewage,electricity, etc etc

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Basically its the chaotic energy supply system we run that means high charges. Same in the most chaotic and worse run energy producing system in Europe.....Germany. Good luck finding an unmetered EHU there!!!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I'm sure it's illegal in this country to make a profit on resold electricity
Yes but there is an unsolved question as to whether it applies to campsites and marinas. It certainly applies to rental properties and caravan pitches and marina berths are not rental properties. £10 a night is certainly steep in Portugal where electricity is not cheap it is usually 1 or 2 euros a night

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I think at motorhome shows they charge over £100 per day to traders who need electricity.

There were just individuals attending the festival on the pop-up motel and they had already paid £359 to pitch their motorhomes for the duration. Then it was £129 extra for hook- up. That was for 2 people, if there were more of you it was extra.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our gas usage off hookup in the summer works out at 50p a day so why would I pay anymore for a hook up. I can see why it costs that much as it would cost a lot to put in lets hope pitches without elec keep being available.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Just don't give him any more pocket money ... if he hasn't got it, he can't spend it ... not that he'd be able to let go of it even if he managed to extract it from his wallet!

Me thinks he's just talking 'macho' to get you all flustered so you act like a school mistress next time you are together ... you naughty girl! :love::X3:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I appreciate that there are costs involved with installing lecky etc but I hate it when sites require us to use pitches with ehu and charge us extra for the privilege of having access to something that we don't need. I've turned down several offers of pitches when they refused to remove the EHU charge as we didn't want it. They lost pitch fees and we had great times elsewhere.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our gas usage off hookup in the summer works out at 50p a day so why would I pay anymore for a hook up. I can see why it costs that much as it would cost a lot to put in lets hope pitches without elec keep being available.

I met a guy in Prague last summer who was willing to pay 5 euros a night for lecky rather than use some of his gas - his reasoning was that he wasn't sure where he would be able to fill up with gas next. He seemed somewhat surprised when I told him that I had filled my two bottles the day before for less than 12 euros and that would last me for months...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I stopped visiting the Lake District for quite a few years for the same reason. Your hand was never out of your pocket & one particular car park, the National Trust Kettlewell car park on the shores of Derwentwater took the biscuit. There's nowt there & I do mean nothing but, the wee man was there every day with the "half day rate" being the one he wanted to charge. It just got silly, so we changed locations for a while with York becoming a favourite. Abandon vehicle at Rowntree Park & use the money we'd saved to dine out twice a day....Win win situation.
Be very wary of wee men in the Lake District charging for car parking. One individual at the Southern end of Haweswater made a killing a few years ago when the submerged village of Mardale re-appeared. He wore what looked like a CP attendants uniform and charged everyone who stopped 50p - a small amount no-one questioned. If it wasn't for an off-duty Local Authority employee who questioned him, causing him to leave & not return, he'd still be there.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Be very wary of wee men in the Lake District charging for car parking. One individual at the Southern end of Haweswater made a killing a few years ago when the submerged village of Mardale re-appeared. He wore what looked like a CP attendants uniform and charged everyone who stopped 50p - a small amount no-one questioned. If it wasn't for an off-duty Local Authority employee who questioned him, causing him to leave & not return, he'd still be there.

Wow, I'd never heard about that happening. Mardale is a place I'd simply love to see & the chances to do so are rare. I'd probably have stumped up & grumbled about it!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I'm sure it's illegal in this country to make a profit on resold electricity

But they provide more than simple (sic) electricity. Any accountant worth his salt could easily justify the fixed cost element.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Do you sell your time or goods based on what they cost , or what you need to sell them for to run a viable business ??

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Do you sell your time or goods based on what they cost , or what you need to sell them for to run a viable business ??
If you can't get enough to cover the cost then your buisness is not viable.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Just back home after touring the south coast of Hampshire, Dorset and Devon.

We called at http://www.hurstviewleisure.co.uk/ in Lymington and asked how much they charged for a one-night stay. We were told "£20 or £30 if you want electric." "£10 a night for electric?!!!", I said. "Yes, that's right." What a rip-off. Needless to say, we did not stay.

We moved on and at Christchurch we found http://www.meadowbank-holidays.co.uk/ It was a delightful site and the facilities were superb. We only needed the smallest of the choices of pitches available and the cost per night was £17 ...... including electric!

The standard charge for electric was £3 to £4 per night at every site we stayed at. So, why did Hurst View at Lymington want to charge us £10?
You think that's dear, try SANDYBALLS just outside of Fordingbridge. There they do a combined fee irrespective whether you want electric or not of between £6 and £60 per night. For my sins many years back I used to be the Rally Officer for the West Wessex MCC and SandyBalls was the dearest commercial site anywhere in the Dorset, Wiltshire geographical area. It was actually dearer for electric in the Summer than Winter. I never did get a straight answer for why.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You think that's dear, try SANDYBALLS just outside of Fordingbridge. There they do a combined fee irrespective whether you want electric or not of between £6 and £60 per night. For my sins many years back I used to be the Rally Officer for the West Wessex MCC and SandyBalls was the dearest commercial site anywhere in the Dorset, Wiltshire geographical area. It was actually dearer for electric in the Summer than Winter. I never did get a straight answer for why.

Isn't it cheaper to stay in the presidential suite at Dorchester Hotel than Sandyballs?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back