Would you paint this first or Sikaflex a plate onto it first? (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
I'm in the process of repairing my 25 year old Euramobil (dark grey bottom half, light grey top half).

The pic below is where the rear view and reversing cameras are mounted at the top of the back. This area is going to be light grey.
As you can see it's been butchered quite a bit, and I'm planning to Sikaflex a 3mm 100x150mm stainless steel plate to the van and then to mount the cameras onto that. The plate will cover all the holes. The new cameras come with painted stainless mounting brackets and stainless screws.

My question is: should I Sikaflex the plate directly onto the surface you can see and paint afterwards or to paint it first and then to Sikaflex onto the painted surface?

IMG_1064.jpeg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
My first thought would be to Sikaflex first in a general belief that bonds to rough surfaces are better than smooth ones.
So painting imo would be giving a less strong bond.
But maybe you'd do a further preparation step. 🤷‍♂️ :)

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My first thought would be to Sikaflex first in a general belief that bonds to rough surfaces are better than smooth ones.
That's also my guess, but hoping someone knows more of the science than I do. Maybe I should ask "Sage" ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you paint it first the only thing holding on will be paint so Sika first. Also you don't need the mounting screws my camera is just held on with Sika.

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you paint it first the only thing holding on will be paint so Sika first.
Agree, the only "but" to this is that fact that it's hardly structural. I would be interested to know what the implications of bare aluminium behind the plate if it holds a bit of damp from time to time. Of course, I could seal all the bare patches in with Sika.

Also you don't need the mounting screws my camera is just held on with Sika.
The stainless screws I mentioned above are to mount the camera to it's bracket (a notorious place to start the corrosion). After that I plan to Sika the bracket to the plate.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
If I were doing it I would mark the position where the plate is going to go then rough up the surface a bit. Ideally u dont want any direct metal to aluminium contact and u want to make the edges waterproof. Imho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back