Would you have any concerns about buying a 1 year old mh? (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
just wondering what others thoughts are on this which is nothing to do with us but I feel a bit responsible:blush:

Les's brother joined us at Malvern show last week with his caravan......and has decided to change to a motorhome:clap2:, trouble is he doesn't hang around and has put a deposit (two if truth be known, but that's a long story:Eeek:) on a year old van.

The original owner must've lost an awful lot on it and it wasn't taken as a px........it looks unused and has low mileage.....

Would any of you have any concerns ????????

Cheers

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We picked up our new Chausson 718 in January this year, and used it for the first time properly (i.e. not on sites with toilet blocks) in May on a months trip to France. It was only then that I discovered I didn't fit on the loo and couldn't use it for what it was intended, so we had to change it for a different model (absolutely loved the Van itself and especially the new Transit base) as soon as we got back. Now have a 717 which is bliss, someone else, hopefully of a more normal size has got a bargain brand new 718 with loads of extras and the dealers are happy as Larry. Me, I've got a toilet that cost me £8,500........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I think that until you start using a van you can't always know if the layout is correct for your type of usage.
True, I expect it depends on if they use it the same way as the caravan......me, I just want them to USE IT:) Since they bought the last caravan early in 2012 they've only managed a few nights away due to his business and the 'hassle' of getting the caravan sorted once on site....dunno if you saw them setting up at Malvern??:sleep::LOL:....took ages

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We picked up our new Chausson 718 in January this year, and used it for the first time properly (i.e. not on sites with toilet blocks) in May on a months trip to France. It was only then that I discovered I didn't fit on the loo and couldn't use it for what it was intended, so we had to change it for a different model (absolutely loved the Van itself and especially the new Transit base) as soon as we got back. Now have a 717 which is bliss, someone else, hopefully of a more normal size has got a bargain brand new 718 with loads of extras and the dealers are happy as Larry. Me, I've got a toilet that cost me £8,500........
Oops....sorry, your last sentence made me laugh but so true:LOL:....

Have already told him to make sure he can fit on the loo & in the shower as the Broadway has the swing wall unit, he can, just:)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bummer .... :LOL: :D

Seriously though, it just goes to prove that you should spend some time in any MH you're considering buying - pretend you're living in it and go through the motions (not literally!) of what you would do on a normal day - cooking, washing up, showering, toileting etc ... spending at least 30 mins doing this can save a fortune as it's only when you've 'lived' in it that its shortcomings become apparent. (y)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Blimey expensibe mistake.... Why you should take your time at a show, lay on beds, try showers, toilet, all lounge chairs etc....really give them a going over.

If you ever go to a show and see someone stretched out on a bed it might be me!:) had people in fits at last Düsseldorf show. You wouldn't buy a sofa without trying it...or would you?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bought my present mh at a year old, thanks to some wealthy chap who changed his mh every year. Mileage about 9k so at least he used it. I've now had it 7 years and no probs apart from new tyres and fridge problems.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Blimey expensibe mistake.... Why you should take your time at a show, lay on beds, try showers, toilet, all lounge chairs etc....really give them a going over.

If you ever go to a show and see someone stretched out on a bed it might be me!:) had people in fits at last Düsseldorf show. You wouldn't buy a sofa without trying it...or would you?
Why ... what were you DOING on the bed Eddie! :X3:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I must admit that the toilet 'compartment' on our van is tight for sitting on the throne, my bum will fit through okay but if I accidentally touch the pull round door whilst sitting down it don't half make me jump as its so cold!!!! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The Chausson was incredibly tight on sitting space with a cupboard and the tambour door intruding, but the main problem was that the situpon bit was on a plinth so your legs dangled in mid air when sitting upon it. Sorry to be so graphic, but my internal valves and evacuation system don't work unless my feet can feel solid ground!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
The Chausson was incredibly tight on sitting space with a cupboard and the tambour door intruding, but the main problem was that the situpon bit was on a plinth so your legs dangled in mid air when sitting upon it. Sorry to be so graphic, but my internal valves and evacuation system don't work unless my feet can feel solid ground!
Bit like being a kiddie again:LOL:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'd have bought a kiddie toilet step and saved £8,500...... :whistle:

Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Strange we are all so different, I guess it's what makes life interesting. We have gone from a PVC up through various others an A class, a low profile and back to a PVC! Most vans we have kept for 9/10 years, the last one only lasted 2. You think you know what you want 'till you have it! We really wanted a fixed rear bed, now we are really happy, smaller and lighter and with a bed to make every night. What goes round comes round! Who knows what another year will bring?

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I suppose the important points to consider in buying a one year old van, apart from the obvious like layout, visible condition and the fact that you fall in love with it when you get into it, are:-
  • What is the warranty, how long, who with, dealer or insurer etc?
  • Is there any warranty left with the manufacturer?
  • Is the dealer an authorised agent of the manufacturer?
  • Manufacturer's reputation - how have they dealt with other owners issues - any bad forum reports?
  • What are the reasons for the first owner selling?
  • Have there been are warranty issues in the previous year?
  • Has the vehicle been involved in an accident?
  • Have there been any damp issues in the first year?
  • Any stains anywhere that might be watermarks or signs of damp on walls and ceilings?
  • Musty smell or stale smoke?
  • Weight and available payload adequate
  • Magazine and Online Reviews, forum opinions etc

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I suppose the important points to consider in buying a one year old van, apart from the obvious like layout, visible condition and the fact that you fall in love with it when you get into it, are:-
  • What is the warranty, how long, who with, dealer or insurer etc?
  • Is there any warranty left with the manufacturer?
  • Is the dealer an authorised agent of the manufacturer?
  • Manufacturer's reputation - how have they dealt with other owners issues - any bad forum reports?
  • What are the reasons for the first owner selling?
  • Have there been are warranty issues in the previous year?
  • Has the vehicle been involved in an accident?
  • Have there been any damp issues in the first year?
  • Any stains anywhere that might be watermarks or signs of damp on walls and ceilings?
  • Musty smell or stale smoke?
  • Weight and available payload adequate
  • Magazine and Online Reviews, forum opinions etc
If the van was a year old and had any issues then walk away, as the previous owner was unable to resolve and the dealer/manufacturer for whatever reason was not interested. The issue is finding out, I would check all paperwork and dates if any missing then get a written explanation if not happy walk away (learnt after a bitter experience).

One really good check is to ask for contact details of previous owners and speak directly to them, as they have moved on either sold or bought another they will give you the truth, something alot of Van sales people are rarely bothered by.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Abacist @Neilfg
Thanks both of you, think you've hit the nails on the head.

There is still 2 years manufacture warranty left & the dealer sells the vans with a 3 yr RAC warranty. My BIL was talking to the dealer to see if they'd tag the 2 together but I'm not sure if/how that would work as the dealer isn't an AS agent.

Great suggestion about contacting the previous owner & checking the paperwork.

Is there any way of finding out if there has been warranty work done (apart from asking the previous owner?)

Cheers

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Strange we are all so different, I guess it's what makes life interesting. We have gone from a PVC up through various others an A class, a low profile and back to a PVC! Most vans we have kept for 9/10 years, the last one only lasted 2. You think you know what you want 'till you have it! We really wanted a fixed rear bed, now we are really happy, smaller and lighter and with a bed to make every night. What goes round comes round! Who knows what another year will bring?

By far the easiest ownership experience has beeb with our last two panel vans... I haven't washed mine since coming back from Italy in August..still looks OK:)

Next will be an A Class..times and needs change. Not looking forward to all that cleaning and polishing though:(

Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Yes, Judgemental and beware the chipped windscreen, we had to have ours replaced and it was never right even though they had two goes at it. If it's a second hand van check carefully. We loved our A class, so good luck with the upsize! And your right about the washing, so quick and easy with a PVC!

Upvote 0

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
We bought our first M/Home in March last year having sen how friends enjoyed their retirement in one. Being impetuous we bought a new Autotrail and loaded it with the essential extras reccomended by our friends. Apart from 3 x 2/3 day trips we spent 8 weeks touring Spain & Portugal returning through France. We enjoyed the trip but concluded the layout didn't really work for us so in March, this year, with just under 5000 miles recorded, we part exchanged it for our Burstner A Class. We didn't try selling privately as there seems so many out there for sale and as a result took a hit of around 20% ! Whoever bought our old one would have had a bargain against new - particularly when you take into account all the extras we loaded it with. We are keeping this one!!
In hind sight and, if we could be more patient, we should have hired or, better still have bought second hand to start with ! Starting with a 12 month old M/Home sounds good sense to me !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Norm thanks for the reply, & hindsight is a wonderful thing:D

We've had a catch up with Les's brother tonight.......seems like he's set on buying the AS Broadway. The dealer bought it over to theirs this morning to check that it fitted under the shelter thing they had built for the caravan.

They've been told the remaining warranty can be transferred (2ys) and they will tag their warranty onto the end, giving him 5 yrs.
I have suggested he talks to AS to find out how it would work if he needed work doing in the warranty period as the dealer isn't an AS agent.
Excited for them though:clap2:& need to get him to cough up a tenner oops 15 squid;) & join fun:D

Upvote 0

Gayle99

Free Member
Jul 22, 2015
Stranraer
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have just bought a 2 year old Swift Bolero with a ton of extras. Owner was selling because of work commitments. It had 3400 on the clock and we have already added 1000 miles in less than a month. We did loads of research and hired first to make sure we made the right choice. We're now looking forward to what we hope will be years of adventures and memories.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back