Would you, Do you ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Leave MH on electric hook up for 2 weeks unattended. We are taking the big silver bird away next week for 2 weeks and leaving MH on the drive behind locked gates. It has a winter setting on the blown air heating system which I have never tried, I'm just wondering if there are any dangers in leaving it on electric hook up and will the heating be safe to leave alone for 2 weeks ? Could just turn electric and heating off and hope the weather is kind in North Yorkshire while we are away, any thoughts ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Left mine hooked up for months at a time over winter.

Only thing I would say is ensure you have a modern 'smart' charger.
Older analogue chargers will cook you battery over time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would try it out first just to check it’s working ok, then I would leave it on without worrying. After all, I expect you will leave lots of things in your house switched on like the fridge/freezer and maybe things on standby etc.
I have bought an inexpensive max/min thermometer that also records humidity levels and then I can see what effect my heater left on the frost setting is having. Now it has been on for a few weeks, I would be happy about leaving it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As others suggest but don't leave fan blown heating on - use a small green house heater on frost setting instead.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If it’s all drained down and nothing can freeze then why hook up..? If that’s your modern van in your picture then it’ll have vents for ventilation and the batteries shouldn’t drain in two weeks.... I think you’ll be wasting your money and you’ll only worry about leaving it plugged in, there’s not much that can happen to it unplugged in two weeks...

Plenty of Motorhomes around on forecourts for months not plugged in and you bought one...!(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Put it on hook-up with a timer if you can so it's not on all the time, just for a boost a couple of times a week to keep the batteries charged, I wouldn't bother with heating though unless you leave water in, but I'd rather drain down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back