Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I gain the impression that there is a bargain to be had on this one, maybee as low as 24-25k with some tasty extras.
Now your final decision (if that is right and not a red herring surprises me as I would have said you had already made your decision from your description and thoughts.:winky:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I gain the impression that there is a bargain to be had on this one, maybee as low as 24-25k with some tasty extras.
Now your final decision (if that is right and not a red herring surprises me as I would have said you had already made your decision from your description and thoughts.:winky:

not really,
I think the only decision is to rule out the dealer one. and see whom is going to offer the best deal between the others. Extras are exactly that extras, they can be placed on at anytime, if wanted, what I want is a bargain. Im just a bargain hunter.::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
If your heart tells you, I love this bus then buy it.......
Two golden rules in buying;

1) Never let your heart rule your head.

2) If it sounds to be too good to be true....then it's because it is.

Real genuine bargains, especially in the m/h market, are pretty rare. Good way to gauge a potential purchase is to watch how long it's on the market for. If it's priced right and priced to sell, then it will be gone within hours. If its still there days or weeks later, then its either overpriced (which most are), or there is something wrong with it.

When i was looking for a campervan i was logging into AutoTrader website every single day. Eventually a genuine bargain came up. The guy had got it priced to sell and i was the first caller. It had only just gone on the website. Only problem, he was 120 miles away and i needed to organise a lift as if i bought it, i'd have to drive it back. In the time it took me to contact a friend to organise transport, this guy had another caller who lived locally, came round, saw the van and bought it.

The advert had hit the website at around 5pm and less than an hour later it had been sold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoffthefridgeman

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
Newton Abbot
Funster No
MH
C Class low/pro
Exp
Would I buy??

The one thing I will always do in future is test any van with a damp meter,I have been caught twice in the last 5 years(the last one only 2 years old,an Italian A Class) but lucky enough I had brought from a dealer and after much arguing managed to get my money back.So don't buy any until you have personally checked it for water ingress.
Regards
geoffthefridgeman.

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
and then all we'll need is a 25 ft drive extension to fit it on:ROFLMAO:
you could put it in storage, sure there would be some near you, worth thinking about:

or you could buy our minnie wiinie already lpg (sorry geo) and still have loads of money left for extras:ROFLMAO:

its so difficult and exciting when looking for a new motorhome. hope you decide soon otherwise you will have to treat yourself for lack of motorhome disorder:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
you could put it in storage, sure there would be some near you, worth thinking about:

or you could buy our minnie wiinie already lpg (sorry geo) and still have loads of money left for extras:ROFLMAO:

its so difficult and exciting when looking for a new motorhome. hope you decide soon otherwise you will have to treat yourself for lack of motorhome disorder:ROFLMAO:

winibago haganap does not have the same ring to it as winibagotony, :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ok Well we are back, We never got as far as seeing the second one. (no2)

We opted for no 3 we spoke, he was able to deal, we liked the van alot especially its extras, He really wanted to sell, It surprised us that it already had MOT till march and tax. it's a loverly van. to us we think we have got a financial climate bargain to the sellers, they are just happy to of moved out of motorhoming.
So everybodies a winner::bigsmile:

I did not need to do any heavy negotiating, quite simply I told him what the other vans I was looking at were priced at and he made it worth my while at :RollEyes:

I have HPId it and it stands true, and of course it all will depend on a habitation check.
so, loads of extras, decent milage, welll looked after, and at a decent price.
so I will be seeing you all soon as long of course as nothing goes wrong.

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
well done look forward to having a nosey::bigsmile: bet you can't wait:thumb:
ruth

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Welldone Paul. :thumb: Hope you now have time to relax before you start your new job.
Dont think you will be having such a hectic weekend again for a while.
Nice to here you are sorted

Andy

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot
Now your final decision (if that is right and not a red herring surprises me as I would have said you had already made your decision from your description and thoughts.

not really,
I think the only decision is to rule out the dealer one. and see whom is going to offer the best deal between the others. Extras are exactly that extras, they can be placed on at anytime, if wanted, what I want is a bargain. Im just a bargain hunter.

whooer does this make me a psychologist.:winky: hope you enjoy the van

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Would you buy a new CI MIzar

Hi we are looking at the possibility of changing our motorhome. :RollEyes:
I went to buy some bulbs as you do on Saturday and was drawn to looking at a CI MIZAR G Living- brand new.

The cost of the motorhome is £46000 new. We have a CI 656 2007 that we paid £33000.

We like our motorhome but our kids freeze in the back when we travel in the winter as it only has gas heating. The bottom bunk is right next to the fire and our youngest who is three normally sleeps here except with the heating on he can't as his arms and legs often hang out of the bed and could get burnt.

The Mizar has diesel heating and no fire, a really welcoming lounge with swival front seats and tons of storage, an oven (not just a grill) and a large fridge.
The dealer will swap for £9000 but I'm holding out at £8000.
Is this a good deal or should I look elsewhere????
:RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Deprecation on a new vehicle is horrendous in the first year especialy if you count the vat element I reckon its a good deal as hes giving 3K off list and full money back on your old van so you have had a years use for nowt:Eeek::thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi we are looking at the possibility of changing our motorhome. :RollEyes:
I went to buy some bulbs as you do on Saturday and was drawn to looking at a CI MIZAR G Living- brand new.

The cost of the motorhome is £46000 new. We have a CI 656 2007 that we paid £33000.

We like our motorhome but our kids freeze in the back when we travel in the winter as it only has gas heating. The bottom bunk is right next to the fire and our youngest who is three normally sleeps here except with the heating on he can't as his arms and legs often hang out of the bed and could get burnt.

The Mizar has diesel heating and no fire, a really welcoming lounge with swival front seats and tons of storage, an oven (not just a grill) and a large fridge.
The dealer will swap for £9000 but I'm holding out at £8000.
Is this a good deal or should I look elsewhere????
:RollEyes:

Well we too looked at the CI. In fact we liked the layout and the van seemed goood for us. The difference for us was the adria has more space than the Adria although the layouts are similar. To give an idea of depreciation check this out Link Removed

either a bargain or a lemmon. Having had the carioca 5 which is the same as the 656 we loved our CI and jsut fancied something different.

as for 9k? tell him no and find another dealer. theres bound to be someone whom will go that extra mile.

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Should I buy???

Thanks for the advice. I have not really considered anything else but perhaps we should! I love a good deal and I really like the MIzar as it seems to be good value for money.

The dealer was hassling me five times a day up until yesterday as we were £1000 different. Since then its gone quite. Either he's playing it cool or he's sold it.

We told our boys that we might change Millie (our motorhome) you would have though we were giving one of their siblings away!! :cry:

I really like your blog Haganap. We haven't skied since our boys were born however this Christmas we are going to stay at the campsite you stayed at last year. I hear that there is loads of snow.

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I bought it!

Thanks for the advice. I have not really considered anything else but perhaps we should! I love a good deal and I really like the MIzar as it seems to be good value for money.

The dealer was hassling me five times a day up until yesterday as we were £1000 different. Since then its gone quite. Either he's playing it cool or he's sold it.

We told our boys that we might change Millie (our motorhome) you would have though we were giving one of their siblings away!! :cry:

I really like your blog Haganap. We haven't skied since our boys were born however this Christmas we are going to stay at the campsite you stayed at last year. I hear that there is loads of snow.

After spending two weeks away in our CI 656 skiing we decided that we do need more space and have now taken the plunge and bought a brand new CI Mizar G living (2008) with a massive garage and a proper lounge .

I think it was a good deal, we got an alarm, awning and 160 hp engine for our 2007 motorhome and £8500.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
After spending two weeks away in our CI 656 skiing we decided that we do need more space and have now taken the plunge and bought a brand new CI Mizar G living (2008) with a massive garage and a proper lounge .

I think it was a good deal, we got an alarm, awning and 160 hp engine for our 2007 motorhome and £8500.

Well done Bunny.
Nothing like a good skiing trip to make you realise you need extra room.!!
We have just been skiing at the lecht, brilliant time but only for the day to practice our new van and to try our new skiis out.

Did you get to pralognan? What did you think? come on I can't take the excitment, we go again in 6 weeks with some others, when do you pick up your new van.

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Pralognan

Well done Bunny.
Nothing like a good skiing trip to make you realise you need extra room.!!
We have just been skiing at the lecht, brilliant time but only for the day to practice our new van and to try our new skiis out.

Did you get to pralognan? What did you think? come on I can't take the excitment, we go again in 6 weeks with some others, when do you pick up your new van.

Hi yes we got to Pralognan (see my write up below). Our boys at 6 and 3 struggled with their ski kit and this caused us a few problems. I though the owner was really pleasant and I overall it was a great place to go. I guess for us we would have liked a very regular ski bus say every twenty minutes both ways just so that we could do our own thing. Watch out for the Euro and had I had the time I would have tried to avoid the toll roads.

The new van comes on Saturday ,while we will really miss Millie we can't wait to have the extra space which will I know stop us living on top of each other.

After much deliberation (on the part of my wife as she hates the cold) we took our motorhome (Millie a CI 656 2007) and our two children (Joe 6 and Jack 3) skiing at Pralognan La Vanoise in the French Alps over Christmas.

We live in Devon, drove to Portsmouth and caught the Ferry to Caen. On the way down we stayed in an aires about half way and eventually arrived at the campsite at 4.00 in the afternoon. There had been lots of snow the week before and true to form Millie needed no help driving on snow and ice although I did have snow chains and I had had has a few nightmares about what I thought might happen?

Pralognan is at 1400m and I was really surprised how easy it was to keep Millie warm We left the electric heater on all the time and used the gas heating as necessary. She stayed as warm as toast even when it was -12 outside. Her fresh water tank is inside but the waste water is outside and so based on good advice(see below) we left the waste tank open and put a bucket under the outlet. The waste pipes leaving Millie were unfortunately not level and so on occasions became frozen although a bit of anti- freeze (non-toxic) seemed to do the trick. I did try to level her but the lack of friction between the blocks and the ice made this impossible (for me).

We had a really good 10 days. Our boys loved being in the snow and our eldest learnt to ski.:thumb:

Good points about the trip!
  • I was surprised how easy it was to take our motorhome skiing!
  • It was really good to spend time together as a family.
  • Our boys loved playing in the snow at Christmas.
  • 14 hrs driving is bearable.
  • The ferry was ‘cheapish’ compared to what I’ve paid in the summer.
  • Pralognan is a nice ski resort, traditional, with lots to do and with good skiing for beginners and intermediates.
  • The campsite was great with generally helpful staff and really good toilets, showers etc.
  • The campsite was good value for money.
  • Diesel in France is cheaper than unleaded petrol (less tax I guess!).
  • Being charged as a category 2 vehicle at the tolls was a bonus.
  • Aires we chose were great.

Not such good points!
  • Being charged as a category 3 vehicle at the tolls even though I think we were!
  • The tolls on the way down and back were OTT (£100 each way) had we had time I would have tried to avoid them.
  • Having 1 Euro to the pound was not great.
  • Paying £55 for three soups, bread, two coffees, two hot chocolates and a tea in Pralognan (the restaurant/ café is near the nursery slopes, not too far from the Ecole de Ski, if you’re keen to give it ago)!!!!!!!!
  • Our motorhome while great in the summer was a bit of a squash in the winter especially when ‘bringing back’ all of the presents left by Santa!
  • For adults carrying their own ski kit to the slopes, the distance is no problem.
  • When you have two young children whose stuff you also have to carry the distance does become a problem.
  • The ski bus from the campsite ran at times that were not always convenient (children’s ski lessons, my wife’s resistance to getting out of bed) and as such getting to and from the slopes was a problem for us.
In summary, it was a really good holiday and although we may need to buy a bigger motorhome it was a great experience that we will definitely repeat and Pralognan is a really great place to start.

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Mizar-help needed -new toys!

We now have our new Mizar, its much bigger, really good fixtures and fittings (more difficult for our boys to break), excellent lounge and much bigger bathroom. I haven’t quite worked out where the sky box is going to go but the garage makes a great play room and provides loads of storage.:ROFLMAO:

The dealer had little idea about what was on the Mizar and how it all worked. So we have some new and untested toys.:Sad:
Does anyone have experience of diesel heating? Can you run the tank empty using the heater (same as the fuel tank not separate)?:Eeek:

We also have ‘air suspension’ on the back, what do you do with it? Is it just for driving or can you use it for levelling too? :Doh:

No handbook yet apparently it is in the post!:Angry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We now have our new Mizar, its much bigger, really good fixtures and fittings (more difficult for our boys to break), excellent lounge and much bigger bathroom. I haven’t quite worked out where the sky box is going to go but the garage makes a great play room and provides loads of storage.:ROFLMAO:

The dealer had little idea about what was on the Mizar and how it all worked. So we have some new and untested toys.:Sad:
Does anyone have experience of diesel heating? Can you run the tank empty using the heater (same as the fuel tank not separate)?:Eeek:

We also have ‘air suspension’ on the back, what do you do with it? Is it just for driving or can you use it for levelling too? :Doh:

No handbook yet apparently it is in the post!:Angry:

If you've got Eberspacher Diesel heating it should be fed from a separate fuel feed a little way up from the bottom of the tank so the theory is it'll never leave you stranded with an empty fuel tank.

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you intend to do any serious motorhoming ie living in it for extended periods then make sure that what you buy is not from the Swift Group, they are simply not up to it.

If you do the in a short time you will find the accomodation falling apart and breaking around you.

Good luck Doug...

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you've got Eberspacher Diesel heating it should be fed from a separate fuel feed a little way up from the bottom of the tank so the theory is it'll never leave you stranded with an empty fuel tank.

Hi its a Webasto heater. Looks good on the website but not sure about where the feed on the tank is. Does sound a little like a jet engine on start up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back