would you buy a self built??? (1 Viewer)

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
things at home are getting very very very annoying, wont go into details as it'd take up a page of waffle, but basicaly it's no heating or hot water, landlord messing us about, nasty neigbours, and next door has called the dss fraud line claiming we must be drug dealers to be able to afford a motorhome and a new car!!! (motorhome as some people know was paid for by building it over years, and the car was a gift from parents, they put my brother thru uni and set him up for life, i could never do that due to illness, so i got a new car to replace my rust bucket old banger)

we've always thought of fulltiming, not as a holiday but having the motorhome as our home, on a permanent site somewhere... or 2 or 3 sites per year or something like that.

but we just cant full time in our motorhome, as it was built for extended touring, the bed is made from the 2 sofas (ok it's 7 foot by 6 foot when made, and very comfy, but as we proved at stratford, when one of us is too ill to be out of bed, the other suffers too)

we really need a fixed bed, and ideal a little more room, thought about re-building the van's layout, but would need window positions moving, and ideal another meter of length, so unless there's a friendly coachbuilder on here able to help.....

my only real option is to sell and buy another van, but would anyone buy a self build coachbuilt?... for more than pennies anyway.

any ideas what it would be worth??

it's based on a 1997 iveco turbodaily 35-10, chassis uprated to 4.5 tons (all legaly done with certificates to prove... we had 300 kilo's to spare with a scooter on a rack and fully loaded on holiday (weighbridge in austria), so easily a 500 kilo+ payload without scooter and rack now.
bare coachbuilt body built by nu-venture in 2004, supplied fully lined, insulated, with seitz double glazed windows, entry door, and some wiring in place.
engine was re-manufactured less than 50k miles ago, also had new higher ratio diff at same time.

interior is based on an autotrail moheacan, large rear bathroom... thetford swivel toilet, 70x70 shower cubicle, 3.5 kilo front loader washing machine, tons of drawer space above the washer, vanity sink, laundry cupboard, 4 eye level cupboards plus cupboard under sink, radiator and hoover's hose and wand also live in there.

living area has 2 sofas, ones 1.6 meters wide, other is 1.8, kitchen is L shaped, combined sink, half bowl drainer thing and hob, plus an oven,
shoreline 12 volt compressor fridge freezer, large pantry, table and coat storage area,
15 inch lcd tv, sky box, maxview wind up dish, dvd/cd/mp3 player, also used as an amp to run decent speakers,

eberspacher D5W wet central heating, (3 x domestic style radiators and a blower for the dog when under the bed)
20 litre calorifier for hot water, heated 3 ways (mains, eberspacher or engine)
140 litres fresh water, whale smart flow pump, filter, single lever mixers,
110 litre grey tank with 3 inch lecky dump valve,

will have a brand new 500 AH + battery bank very soon, has 369 watt solar array, onboard small genny, 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter,

90 litre lpg tank, 2 x diesel tanks @ 70 litres each with changeover valves, 50 litre red diesel tank for eberspacher.

there's a centeral vacuum system with a turbo brush that clears up dog hair easily, everything runs off the batteries either directly or via the whole house inverter, just the charger and electric water heater element dont for obvious reasons, and of course shore power connection, not that we use it much.

20 amp sterling 4 stage charger, stecca 30 amp solar regulator with display, lpg alarm, 3 x fire extinguishers, fire blanket, lecky step, fiamma door arm, 3.5 meter fiamma awning with harrison safari room, underfloor lockers all round, large sliding roof window, fiamma turbo vent in living area with the thermostatic controlls,
stainless steel euro liners, 7 very good tyres,

luton over cab area is storage only, i have an inflatable canoe, paddles, 3 x life jackets (mine, sams and the dogs) box of vinyl, vinyl cutter, 2 x helmets for motorbike, 2 x fold up chairs, fold up dog bed, fold up hammock, the safari room and poles, RC electric glider, fold up picnic table and the bedding comprising of 3 pillows and a kingsize double sleeping bag, and there's a little room to spare.

8 eye level cupboards in living area, large luton storage area access, 3 drawers in kitchen, one large takes pots and pans, one for cutlery and the other for general rubbish, drawer for dvd's and other stuff under entertainment centre, big cupboard under sink, safe under the bed and more storage accessed by yet more cupboard doors.

if you've read this far, your either mad, bored, or wondering what the darn thing looks like, must upload some photo's.

it's insured for 25k, but i'd love to know what it's really worth, and if it could be sold,

i'd love to modify it, but bod knows how much it'd cost to remove the back panel, add on at least half a meter, and re-skin the sides (alli panels) so i could start again,
anyone looking for this type of van?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Sounds like a decent conversion and it will sell, the real question is as you have stated is for how much ..

I would put it on ebay, same description with lots of photos, put a reserve price you would be happy with, or even a bit higher, .. include a contact number and say it's advertised elsewhere and reserve the right to withdraw at any time.. then watch the bidding.. if it doesn't reach reserve you will at least know what the punters are willing to pay.. nothing to loose, it's free exposure and you may get some phone calls with offers .. nothing to loose if it doesn't sell.

Jim

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi depending on photos / quality of the build it could be worth anything from 2.5k to 8 /10 k ::bigsmile: 2.5 being the cost of the van and second hand parts-- also a dog :ROFLMAO::Sad: the 8 k plus is for a nice conversion and the hard bit of obtaining that price :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

P

Philbert

Deleted User
Chassis uprate

Hi. You could be my saviour. We have a horsebox on a Iveco 35C chassis that we need to uprate to 45, but everyone tells us it can't be done - until I saw your thread. Grateful for any advice because at the moment, we can't officially carry a horse!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Gazznsam,any pics of the conversion yet :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.