Would you buy a hymer with hail damage? (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Like most have already said - it's only dents and u are not going to be looking at it until its cleaning time. Has it had the side damage repaired? Unusual to have perfectly vertical hail although possible.
I would expect almost perfect bodywork if I was paying top dollar but with sufficient discount a few out of sight dents would be bearable.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If the price is right it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, I can’t see it being to difficult to hide anyway with fibreglass, why not put a solar panel over it? (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We purchased a caravan that was about a year old, that had hail damage on the roof and one side, but we couldn't insure it, we got our money back. 😁 Bob.

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Humbled and grateful by the pearls of wisdom here. A superb £15 a year investment for any newbie.
I put my concerns to the dealer just now, he's coming back to me tomorrow on the 'semi fixed price'

:giggle:
They'll always be another van, even if I can't go shopping abroad to buy it. :crying:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Humbled and grateful by the pearls of wisdom here. A superb £15 a year investment for any newbie.
I put my concerns to the dealer just now, he's coming back to me tomorrow on the 'semi fixed price'

:giggle:
They'll always be another van, even if I can't go shopping abroad to buy it. :crying:

If the price is right then yes, who is the dealer by the way?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Most motorhomes people add aluminium chequer roof plates to walk on the roof.
Just add some chequer plate over the dints.
Don't pay top money for the van.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
As long as a insurance company has not paid out a claim on it, the caravan we was going to buy according to the dealer was non reported damage, but as soon as we gave the details no insurance companies would insure it, so the dealer had lied to us, probably not a part exchange but more like a write off that he got his hands on. 🤨
Probably had we got a professional to repair it, 🙄 ( like a car we had back from a insurance claim ) and then a inspection the insurance companies would insure it, but then it would not have been a reasonable priced caravan. 🤔
We wasn't worried about the dents, but was concerned not having insurance if it caught fire and burnt half the campsite down. 🤔 Bob

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As long as a insurance company has not paid out a claim on it, the caravan we was going to buy according to the dealer was non reported damage, but as soon as we gave the details no insurance companies would insure it, so the dealer had lied to us, probably not a part exchange but more like a write off that he got his hands on. 🤨
Probably had we got a professional to repair it, 🙄 ( like a car we had back from a insurance claim ) and then a inspection the insurance companies would insure it, but then it would not have been a reasonable priced caravan. 🤔
We wasn't worried about the dents, but was concerned not having insurance if it caught fire and burnt half the campsite down. 🤔 Bob
OP said an overseas dealer probably German so it wouldn't be on the UK insurers data base but unlikely to have been written off just for roof damage. You see a lot of vans for sale in Germany with hail damage.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Interesting thread ,I think a lot of new vans come with GRP roofs , I just bought a new A class (pre built) it has the £770 option of GRP Sidewalls , perhaps worth more than I originally thought 🤔

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I agree with previous comments and if the price is right then with the money saved cover most of the dents with solar panels , win win.

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If the price is right then yes, who is the dealer by the way?
The way things stand today Germany has entered a non essential business lockdown until mid January , so plans are to put it mildly, much complicated. Add in Brexit and the likely third country covid status which precludes UK citizens from entering the EU.

At the moment I am very much minded of Donald Tusks comments of 'a special place in hell'.

If I somehow manage to go ahead with the purchase, reverse people smuggling springs to mind :unsure: I'll write up a review of my finding of several dealers, which I hope gives back a little to the many funsters who've selflessly helped me!

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
as already said.......just stick thin aluminium chequered plate all over the roof, lot safer for walking on and looks fine if done correctly

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I know a guy in France (2005 A-class van) who had hail damage which also smashed the roof lights.

He claimed on his insurance but they wrote it off leaving him seriously out of pocket. He replaced it with a secondhand PVC as that was all he could afford.

He did investigate various options to repair the damage (before accepting the insurance offer) but concluded that a new roof was the only permanent solution which would have cost mega bucks.
I got caught in a hail storm with my Hymer. Claimed insurance for the repairabl but not the indentations. That £1000 claim cost me twice that over the next few years in raised premiums.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I got caught in a hail storm with my Hymer. Claimed insurance for the repairabl but not the indentations. That £1000 claim cost me twice that over the next few years in raised premiums.
Depends on the insurance company, I had a claim with Comfort no premium increase.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Using a dent repair set with hot glue and pullers I would like to have them out of it in a days work, depends on how many there actually are most of the area is plastic panel vents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back