Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Consort, vantage and IH?
I can second Vantage. We recently bought our first motorhome ever, after two years of deliberations and several viewings at motorhome shows and dealers. Previous experience was 3 months in New Zealand with an old VW Crafter.
After seeing several, we bought the Vantage NEO - 6.36m long,and we are so glad we did. Their after sales service is awesome.
Our non-negotiables were swivel seats, longitudinal bed, proper oven, not having to turn sideways to walk down the van, light and more light. The vast rear bed takes approximately 2 minutes to make up, but you have the option for 2 singles if you're moving swiftly on. It is beautifully light with huge windows and two rooflights, however we have overslept several times because the blinds are super-efficient! The storage space is like Mary Poppins' bag - it even has a larder.
We love our van!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have an IH630RD , it’s our 2nd so we clearly love them! Very similar to the Vantage Neo. Longitudinal single beds or an enormous double which we prefer. They also do a 6m van and you still get two singles , you do lose what Nick describes as his man cave where there are two handy cupboards behind the driver‘s seat. You get a nice big wardrobe above the fridge. Proper hob with 3 gas rings and an an electric one. Oven plus separate grill.

I requested a modification in our second so have a small sink plus more worktop. Much better, IH are very obliging.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I would love to change to a PVC.
But, being 6'-2" I have found that any I have looked at the beds are too short and/or there is insufficient head height.
The bed in our Elddis is 6'-4" and I really couldn't cope with anything shorter than that.
Has anyone else of similar height found a PVC that works for them?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I requested a modification in our second so have a small sink plus more worktop. Much better, IH are very obliging.
I never understand the obsession with most MH manufacturers putting in large sinks ... we have a very large round one in our Carthago which is so big that to wash up in it would take at least 15 litres, consequently I always use a small round washing up bowl and around 4 litres of water which is more than sufficient. The only saving grace is that ours has a 2 part cover so we can leave he larger part in situ and just remove the small bit so we can still pour bits and bobs down if necessary, much better than the hinged glass lidded ones.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But, being 6'-2" I have found that any I have looked at the beds are too short and/or there is insufficient head height.
The bed in our Elddis is 6'-4" and I really couldn't cope with anything shorter than that.
Yes head height is something that needs consideration if you like to sit up in bed, many are quite tight and even in our Carthago I sit/sleep in the side nearest to the rear window as that's where the greatest height is for when I do my puzzle books etc before lights out.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I never understand the obsession with most MH manufacturers putting in large sinks ... we have a very large round one in our Carthago which is so big that to wash up in it would take at least 15 litres, consequently I always use a small round washing up bowl and around 4 litres of water which is more than sufficient. The only saving grace is that ours has a 2 part cover so we can leave he larger part in situ and just remove the small bit so we can still pour bits and bobs down if necessary, much better than the hinged glass lidded ones.
One of the things my other half misses the most in the van is a dishwasher, and would love one in the van. Hates washing up.

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
I am 6’ 3.5” and find an Adria Twin 6m fine; bed is fine and head room fine - so fine I am waiting for a new one to arrive 😄

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know what you mean, in our first there was the cooker, a huge sink plus draining board and the only worktop was an enormous flap which when extended meant you couldn’t get in or out of the van. In our new one we asked for that to be shorter as well and we can slide past it. Mind you we are not large. You certainly couldn’t do it if you were a bit chunky!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That 5.4m Carado lacks a wardrobe, has less locker storage space, and lacks other kit that is standard on my V43. A 5.4m PVC is difficult to get right. Adria didn't get it right and no longer make one. There are more conversion compromises needed than in a 6m van.

V43 was deleted from the Rapido Van range, but lives on in the same layout (with a standard pop-up roof) now branded the Dreamer D43 Up, probably aimed at younger buyers than me. I tend to think that the traditional Rapido finishes in mine have more clarse. :gum:

Made in the same factory. https://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-d43-up-red-addict.php

Wildax is also owned by Rapido with layouts more focussed on the UK market. Westfalia also now a Rapido Group company. All kinds of PVC now under the same umbrella.

[Edited because my brain cell is malfunctioning today]
Good info that, I like the East Neuf Fifer M 5.4 metre.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know what you mean, in our first there was the cooker, a huge sink plus draining board and the only worktop was an enormous flap which when extended meant you couldn’t get in or out of the van. In our new one we asked for that to be shorter as well and we can slide past it. Mind you we are not large. You certainly couldn’t do it if you were a bit chunky!
We had the same issue with our PVCs so I removed the original flaps and replaced them with my own made out of a chopping board which I cut to the right size, when we sold/PX'd I just put the originals back.

Last edited:

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Looks like Auto Trail has at last scored good points on this one for a change, plenty of room between the moderate sized sink and hob. A pity we do not have an electric ring on the hob for the odd occasion we have hook up. Another plus point, a good sized worktop extension that still allows one to get out the door, although I cannot remember it being used for culinary purposes, we do use it if having coffees in the swivelled cab seats and not using small front table.
The four drawers below the worktop are of a good size, sadly not “ soft close” though, minus point !
The three cupboard are spoilt a bit due to the positioning of the water pump in one and the water tank filler pipe in another, I overcame the loss by fitting shelves above the intrusions and still had enough room for more than anyone sensible would normally need.
I noticed in a 2020 V Line the work top has been slimmed down a bit, probably to make more passage way for models with a front dinet/lounge.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Same with my better half, and all clothes that don’t need ironing. (y)
Same here we tend to use 'tech' clothing these tend to dry quickly when washed and rarely need ironing as they tend not to crease, and last quite a while.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think if we had to go to those extremes the other half would not leave home. We just like a bit of comfort
I am with Sapper on this one our clothes are comfortable its just what you choose here is an example it also has UV protection

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I am with Sapper on this one our clothes are comfortable its just what you choose here is an example it also has UV protection
We are all different, we just take what is in the wardrobe not go buying stuff. We mostly use sites other people don’t we are all different. I just would not be able to sell what you do to the other half, and I don’t think I would want to really. Some go motorhomeing because they want to, others just see it as means to go somewhere. We are fair weather people and never use the van in the winter, much prefer the wood burner at home. Like I said all different.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We are all different, we just take what is in the wardrobe not go buying stuff. We mostly use sites other people don’t we are all different. I just would not be able to sell what you do to the other half, and I don’t think I would want to really. Some go motorhomeing because they want to, others just see it as means to go somewhere. We are fair weather people and never use the van in the winter, much prefer the wood burner at home. Like I said all different.
Totally get what your saying, fortunately everyone is different we also just take what is in the wardrobe (y)

camion

Free Member
May 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Furgoneta
Wardrobes & compromises...... now I'm reminded why I carried out a self build...flexibility. A his and
hers wardrobe at one time it was the only way I was going to be permitted to carry on carrying a motorbike. First stage for a few years comprised a rear full size bed layout, with 650 Honda under,
& only one wardrobe.
At 850mm floor height this eventually proved to be a real loading b***ache, even with a winch
and no help from the wench!
So after a few 'discussions' a compromise was reached, light motorbike, and stored anywhere
but inside the van, plus his and hers wardrobe. Apparently my m/c armoured jacket and padded
trousers took up essential wardrobe space, as if.
Then the damned m/bike (not my words) meant access thru' the rear barn door was blocked.
I got round that little problem by making the rack extending, not ideal but again just another
compromise. HERS.JPGHIS.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back