Would we be OK rallying for the weekend (1 Viewer)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
With all the posts about these wonderful rallys
We would really like to attend one and start putting faces to names
So my question is
Would we survive a weekend?
No solar panel
110 amp battery which would be fully charged
We will run the fridge and hot water on gas so my thinking is the only electric we would use would be
Lights and water pump
I'm a complete novice when it comes to electricity usage
TIA for your help

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you have LED lighting, but you don't use much at this time of year anyway.

Winter, central heating and TV and then you'll struggle.

LED cuts the light power by 90%, it makes a huge difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You'll likely be OK in the summer. But think of the dire consequences should you run out of power, you might need to get undressed in the dark, your pump won't work so you'll need to fill your kettle from an outside tap. That's about as bad as it gets in the summer :) so no excuse to not give it a go. See how long you last, don't worry about solar, if you don't last long enough you can double your power cheaply with an extra battery (y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Not a problem for a weekend,we could nearly do a week in a c/van......So. Do it and have fun.
Tea Bag

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would agree with all above, the answer is almost certainly, probably :)

If you keep the MH at home try it there, use it and abuse it like you might while away, but don't forget to unplug from the mains before starting the test (y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Definitely OK in the summer just avoid using TV if concerned. Some of the rallies have EHU anyway and am sure some would lend you a Generator:LOL: if you needed power :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Keep an eye on the battery charge level. There is usually someone with a genny who could give you a boost should you need it.

If you only need power for lights and water pump - well you won't lights on for long this time of year. You could always use torches :)

The water pump is used for loo flushing (use a spray bottle!) and filling sinks (you could just use a bottle of water and use a pan / kettle for hot water).

Our very first van had a single battery for engine starting and all hab requirements and we managed somehow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone that pretty reassuring
Now try and find one we can make
Re TV we don't really watch it while we are away
Second battery mmmmm don't think I've got space what are your thoughts @old-mo as we've got the same mh
Thinking solar next year from Eddies gaff

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Best to check as not all sites for meets or rallies allow the use of generators & even if they do they may not be popular :unsure:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used to camp for a weekend with only an old car battery for a weekend and don't think that was anywhere near 110 amp. That was only used for lighting so I'm sure you'll be ok to rally.

Denise

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did 12 days round the Outer Hebrides with one battery, ok we did move every couple of days but it can be done if your careful with your use.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Thanks everyone that pretty reassuring
Now try and find one we can make
Second battery mmmmm don't think I've got space what are your thoughts @old-mo as we've got the same mh
Thinking solar next year from Eddies gaff

Before our current Mh we had a converted van which had a battery which was on its last legs. It would do us for the weekend with no problems. Take some candles just in case or a hurricane lamp. Quiet romantic in the dark anyway.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You can't use microwave toasters etc as we don't have solar panels but often use Aires in France with no hook up. Don't take a tv when we are away for a long time in summer . If you need to charge anything important someone with EHU will kindly do it for you I'm sure on a rally.
Go for it ! It's a great way to really meet these lovely Funsters!!!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You could always go and sit in someone else's van in the evening and use their leccy for charging and drink their wine...(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do you really think that you'll spend a lot of time in your MH at a funster gathering, especially as newbies ... not a chance ... they love getting their mucky little paws on 'fresh meat'!!! :D2

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Hi Paul....

Our`s came with a factory fitted solar panel.... not sure what size it is.. :RollEyes:

We watch TV quite a lot, 12volt with built in DVD..

Not flattened a battery yet, but there again it is summer..

Not even sure what size battery it is.. (Must have a look).. :doh:

If I put another battery on it will have to be under the French Bed, as the battery that came with MoHo is in a little compartment at the back, so no room for 2.. :shake:

Other than that I will take a very noisy Kipor generator with us... :Eeek: :wink: :rofl:

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
When we first got ours we only had a single hab battery and no solar. We did a few weekends away including a rally and I kept an eye on the battery using a volt meter. Used things as we wanted but do have led lights and don't watch much tv. We could do 3 to 4 nights on a single battery. We now have 2 batteries and solar so in the summer I don't see me ever needing ehu.

Allan

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
With all the posts about these wonderful rallys
We would really like to attend one and start putting faces to names
So my question is
Would we survive a weekend?
No solar panel
110 amp battery which would be fully charged
We will run the fridge and hot water on gas so my thinking is the only electric we would use would be
Lights and water pump
I'm a complete novice when it comes to electricity usage
TIA for your help
try it! If your really worried about things, book onto a campsite for a couple of days, but don't plug the hook up in. That way if you run out of power, you can plug the Hook up in and everything will be OK

Then you know that you need to re-think things

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
How long is a piece of string?

You should have no problem. I’ve been stationary for five nights without solar or problems. There’s more than likely someone only too willing to lend a generator, if needed, otherwise the consequences are small at this time of year.

How long a battery will last will depend on how much capacity it has (gets less at it gets older) and how much you use. Only get concerned if the voltage drops below 12.2V.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When we first started motorhoming, we rented. The rentals only have one 110 AH battery, and we managed perfectly well. That said, we did carry a genny as backup, and had to use it quite a lot at the F1 circuits we visited. As long as it is only lighting that is really using you power, you are pretty sorted.

We on the other hand use an inverter, powering our coffee machine in the morning (4 cups usually) along with various items that need charging. 12v telly gets a pounding when daughter wants to watch telly, which is most of the time. Oh and just because we can, the microwave gets used, hence we have 4 leisures and 150w solar :D

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you are on a meet there is no problem that can't be solved by one of the Funsters. There are some lovely ones ... ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back