smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i have used wi-fi connection abroad & in uk with no problems.

recently started petsitting and can use their network when i'm there.

computer says network connected OK & good speed.

when i try to connect to the internet computer says no. i get the IE screen & an unable to connect message on all 3 tabs.

i use a wi-fi usb dongle, windows xp & IE7

how do i fix this?

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
so are you connecting to THEIR internet or using the dongle? they're usually seperate things, your friends will most likely have a home wifi connection witha wireless router which should connect to the laptop via whatever wireless system the laptop has, but a dongle works like a mobile phone and connects to a mobile data network.
if using a home wifi connection you'll need the acces code if they have one, it should come up on connection settings...

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
try: unplugging the dongle and going to the connection settings (two little monitors in the right hand taskbar) search for networks and it will bring up all available wireless networks, find out what theirs is called (it will most likely be the one with the highest signal strength) and connect to it, it should say wether it is secured or not, if it is you'll need the passcode, if not you should just be able to connect then use IE to open the net.
if you're trying to connect to a wireles network with a dongle plugged in, the laptop may be getting a bit confused...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
smifee

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i thought a dongle was just a lump you plugged into a computer be it a wi-fi dongle, 3G dongle, bluetooth dongle,etc.

i am connected to their network but just can't connect to the internet.

they have broadband and i'm presuming the router is on because their network shows up and my laptop says i'm connected to it.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
i thought a dongle was just a lump you plugged into a computer be it a wi-fi dongle, 3G dongle, bluetooth dongle,etc.

i am connected to their network but just can't connect to the internet.

they have broadband and i'm presuming the router is on because their network shows up and my laptop says i'm connected to it.

It sound like the is a pass word needed to get past their WiFi protection on their computer.

If you can get at it pull out the cable that connects their computer to the router and connect it direct to your computer.

This way tou will not be going through the WiFi link but direct through the hard wire.

Good luck

Doug...

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
If you are connected to the network than you won't need a password for that.

It could be they have a separate router (for the Wifi) and modem for the internet access (quite often the case for cable like Virgin) and the modem is not switched on. This would give you network access but no internet access.

So check if there is another box connected to the rouiter and see if it is switched on.

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If they are with BT and have "opted in" to BT Fon then they will have two WiFi channels. One will be called BTOpenzone (this is the Fon one) and your computer may have connected to this automatically because it doesn't require a WEP/WPA code - but it does require logging in via the web "landing" page. Check that you're connecting to something like BTHomeHub-xxxx (unless they've changed the name).

OP
OP
smifee

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Laptop died before I could sort this out.

New laptop has Vista64 and worked first go.

Have found out that XP can show that you are connected to a network even though the connection failed. I think this may have been the problem.

Hope this might help anyone with a similar problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back