Worst accessory ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We often see posts about good accessories but few about the bad. So what is the worst accessory you have bought or the biggest waste of money, .. the lemons of the accessory shop ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those yellow grip mats that are supposed to get you out of a sticky situation, We had a bessecarr with a very looonng overhang and when we loaded her up she would get stuck on wet grass.

Those grip mats were next to useless they just do not work. At shows people can be seen buying them in their hundreds, It does make me smile.:roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Those yellow grip mats that are supposed to get you out of a sticky situation, We had a bessecarr with a very looonng overhang and when we loaded her up she would get stuck on wet grass.

Those grip mats were next to useless they just do not work. At shows people can be seen buying them in their hundreds, It does make me smile.:roflmto:

Yep we were probably a couple of those that had you smiling Jim. They are about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike. :Eeek:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Those yellow grip mats that are supposed to get you out of a sticky situation,

Definitely a strong contender for the number one position.. :thumb:

I submit the:

Roll flat food grade hose.. expensive and lasts about a year, mine is now full of pin hole leaks.. not a real lemon, but a waste of money.

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Thats the problem with a lot of motorhomes. People load them up with total disregard for their own safety and legal carrying capacities. A good habit to get into is visit your local public weighbridge once a year and for a couple of quid get an instant check on how your loaded.
The police do stop motorhomes and check them out in Min of Transport weighbridges. I passed our local one on the A31 at Ringwood the other day and noticed an RV obviously impounded from a casual checkup session.
I carry those yellow mats and they do work if used properly and with foresight. Theres no way they are going to work when you decide to put them in place after its rained and try to drive off on wet grass. Its a case of shutting the stable door before the horse bolts. Put the mats in place under your driving wheels ( on a Fiat thats the front wheels:ROFLMAO: for those that arent mechanically minded) when you arrive on site and before it rains. On departure from the site and especially after its rained just give the throttle a bit of welly and the extra bit of grip on take off will 9 times out of ten get you back on hard ground. Camping in Ireland last summer we had a lot of rain and I never once got into trouble. I put them under the wheels every time I stopped. You or the missus can always walk back and get them once your back on the road. :Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi do you think I am going to admit in writing that not every item I have bought is absolutely neccessary :Eeek: so the wife can read it? You must be joking.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Olley

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
A fancy all singing and dancing hands free kit for the RV that routed through the radio. What a load of junk bought it at the NEC last winter against Jans advice, cost £30.00 now she keeps asking me where it is. :Blush::Blush:

The thin blue waste hoses for the black and grey tanks do a good impression of a muck spreader, false economy or what. :Doh::Doh:

Jans folly; An electric clothes airer thats as high as Blackpool tower and uses all the power available and then some, but I never mention it cos I'm not brave enough :roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Thats the problem with a lot of motorhomes. People load them up with total disregard for their own safety and legal carrying capacities. A good habit to get into is visit your local public weighbridge once a year and for a couple of quid get an instant check on how your loaded.
The police do stop motorhomes and check them out in Min of Transport weighbridges. I passed our local one on the A31 at Ringwood the other day and noticed an RV obviously impounded from a casual checkup session.
I carry those yellow mats and they do work if used properly and with foresight. Theres no way they are going to work when you decide to put them in place after its rained and try to drive off on wet grass. Its a case of shutting the stable door before the horse bolts. Put the mats in place under your driving wheels ( on a Fiat thats the front wheels:ROFLMAO: for those that arent mechanically minded) when you arrive on site and before it rains. On departure from the site and especially after its rained just give the throttle a bit of welly and the extra bit of grip on take off will 9 times out of ten get you back on hard ground. Camping in Ireland last summer we had a lot of rain and I never once got into trouble. I put them under the wheels every time I stopped. You or the missus can always walk back and get them once your back on the road. :Smile:

Try em on the Newmar Tony:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

watched a guy at york trying to use 'em.
put em under front wheels, bootful of gas, dump clutch, mats against rear wheels and didnt move an inch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp

I submit the:

Roll flat food grade hose.. expensive and lasts about a year, mine is now full of pin hole leaks.. not a real lemon, but a waste of money.

yep no where you are coming from jim:RollEyes: i got one from rversway leisure although i didnt order that paticular one
they saw fit to replace the one i ordered with a flat one with awkward male fittings on each end .... used once a pain:Doh:

ray

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Jim,

You have got to look on the positive side, they now sell them like that [leaking] as garden watering systems ??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=121988

I submit the:

Last edited:

mandjhumph

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Since 2004
Rollapath

Brought it from Towsure looked good in the brochure enabled you to get from the hard path to the van without walking on the wet muddy grass and then you just rolled it up to store it.

In practice it took ages to assemble as you had to connect each piece together with little clips, worked well when sationary but as we rolled it up all the little clips popped off at various speeds and angles never to be seen again and the path fell apart in our hands. Went straight in the bin after the first trip out with it. :cry:

Still you live and lean !

Martyn and Jane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back