May 4, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
MH since 2015, still feel like a newbie
Worried!
Took my motor home to Ireland for New Year's Eve and suddenly realised I didn't drain the water tank-and my area is now experiencing a freeze-can't get to it until Monday! It's a 2013 Bailey Approach-how much damage will it have caused??
Any advice will be appreciated!

Lisa x

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Worried!
Took my motor home to Ireland for New Year's Eve and suddenly realised I didn't drain the water tank-and my area is now experiencing a freeze-can't get to it until Monday! It's a 2013 Bailey Approach-how much damage will it have caused??
Any advice will be appreciated!

Lisa x
Is it still in Ireland, and your back home, or is it in England?? Personally, I would make EVERY EFFORT to get that water out of it.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
A couple of years ago we went away to Tunisia leaving our van at home and the temperatured plummeted alarmingly! We were going to the airport and it was showing -9 and while we were away we were seeing news items showing arctic conditions at home. On our return there was no damage. Last year we had a pretty mild winter and despite draining down the frost damaged the plumbing in the bathroom needing a new tap fitting etc.

It need not have caused any damage. Let's hope not.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Is it still in Ireland, and your back home, or is it in England?? Personally, I would make EVERY EFFORT to get that water out of it.
Just had a thought. Dosen't The Approach have an auto dump system which operates when the temperature drops below 2 degrees C??

Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
should dump water below 5 degrees if its the same as my motor home, different make but all converters use the same gear i presume it as got the ALDE system

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It really depends on how long and cold the freeze is. Chances are your boiler would have auto dumped so that will be OK. Freeze ups can affect different motorhomes in different ways. A lot of modern plastic taps break at the slightest mention of ice and they can be expensive to replace. (You should make sure no water is in in them, turn the pump off and open them) Water pipes and joints can pop but normally they are quite resistant. Some loos hold a bit of flush water in a pipe that can be a problem @JockandRita have experience of this. Nothing you can do now, relax, worse thing maybe a tap, or a few litres under your sink. Neither are real problems to fix. Chances are nothing will break (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bagram11

Bagram11

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
I'm going to try to get access to it where it's stored on Sunday, my fear is the tank will be frozen solid?
I'm going to turn it on, run heating, dump the water as there is a boiler switch, and a dump plug/bungee to tank and open metal taps.
Would you suggest taking the flatscreen out as well?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bagram11

Bagram11

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
I'm going to try to get access to it where it's stored on Sunday, my fear is the tank will be frozen solid?
I'm going to turn it on, run heating, dump the water as there is a boiler switch, and a dump plug/bungee to tank and open metal taps.
Would you suggest taking theflatscreen out as well?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bagram11

Bagram11

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
It really depends on how long and cold the freeze is. Chances are your boiler would have auto dumped so that will be OK. Freeze ups can affect different motorhomes in different ways. A lot of modern plastic taps break at the slightest mention of ice and they can be expensive to replace. (You should make sure no water is in in them, turn the pump off and open them) Water pipes and joints can pop but normally they are quite resistant. Some loos hold a bit of flush water in a pipe that can be a problem @JockandRita have experience of this. Nothing you can do now, relax, worse thing maybe a tap, or a few litres under your sink. Neither are real problems to fix. Chances are nothing will break (y)
Would you suggest taking theflatscreen out as well?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back