Worried about new van (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are getting an ih 630rl in march/april, a step up from our 5.3 metre autosleeper symbol. We liked it as the lounge is big but the cab seats turn round and there is a little sitting area with easy access to kettle and loo. I am an early riser and Nick likes to read at night so hopefully this will suit. We also like the open feeling of the sliding door on a PVC, now Ive opened a can of worms. It is hard to decide, there are pros and cons to them all.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We don't really worry about the size, id a small truck can get to places I am of the opinion that I can too, as for supermarkets etc I park well away from the busy areas as you would anyway, we are a shade under 9 metres and 3.2 metres high, most "reasonable" people see a large vehicle and allow for it up to now I haven't had any problems with overhang etc, its all in the mind get the right mind set and you should be OK

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My take on it is that if the bin lorry, school bus, and heating oil or gas tanker can gain access, then so can I. The warden of the CC site at Chatsworth tried to tell me over the phone that our MH was too big to access the site. I then asked her how her bulk gas tank was replenished, and how her industrial wheelie bins got emptied. She didn't see those vehicles as being large, but a booking for a 26ft MH appeared to tilt her scales. :xdoh:

I too pick the furthest away area of the supermarket car park, but I usually stay with the MH, so it is never vulnerable, and if I think there is the possibility of being hemmed in, I'll take up four parking spaces. The previous advice given above of not getting too close to the refueling pumps, and taking up space if needed is excellent advice. :xThumb: Rita often cringes when I attempt to access certain areas, but is equally impressed when her concerns turn out to be unfounded. I do have many years of HGV and PSV experience though, which is a great advantage. :xThumb:

As long as you are constantly aware of your increased dimensions and possible "swing out" on turning, you won't go far wrong. If in doubt, bail out, and check before proceeding further. If the access doesn't look suitable for your size of vehicle, it probably isn't

On the habitaion side of things, the larger space and rear fixed bed layout gives us the space needed, to avoid the feeling that we are living on top of each other. The storage space under the rear fixed bed is huge, so not space wasted in our opinion, and a fixed bed alleviates the need to make it up every night, whilst having to find somewhere to store bolsters or scatter cushions. :xdoh:

We could definitely tour in our large MH for several months at a time...............but we could never live in it full time. :xsad:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another view? Go for an A class and forget the fixed bed. I know this is a minority opinion but I just can't understand why fixed beds are so popular. It seems to me like dragging an extra 4 or 5 feet of MH around that can't be used as living space - and suffering reduced lounge space as well. :imoutahere::D
With a fixed bed one person can lounge up front - work or watch TV - whilst another can get an early night or read in bed. Otherwise I tend to agree with you, it just depends what your priorities are. Flexibility or maneuverability.
Our last 4 MHs have had fixed beds: a Rapido 709F with a 'French' bed layout, a Rimor Sailer 645TC with a absolutely massive garage, a Chausson Flash 04 with another big garage and height adjustable bed, and our current PVC which actually officially has 2 lounges - a front half dinette and rear lounge with facing side sofas on a raised section of floor (storage underneath). We always leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and it gives us loads of storage underneath, enough for 2 inflatable canoes (and all the kit to go with them such as paddles, life jackets etc), 2 electric folding bikes, spare bedding, towels, food, 2 leisure batteries, the gas locker ... and lots of space for more!

We love having a 'fixed' bed as it doubles up as a second lounge/chill out area even when left in bed mode, when we're away if one of us is tired the bed is easily accessible without compromising whatever the other is doing at the other end of the van; when hubby is cooking tea I usually slob out on the bed and do my puzzle book, and he does the same whilst I wash up, then we both have a slob out on it with the dogs whilst we watch a DVD ... pure bliss. We would NOT have a MH without a 'fixed' bed, we love them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Our last 4 MHs have had fixed beds: a Rapido 709F with a 'French' bed layout, a Rimor Sailer 645TC with a absolutely massive garage, a Chausson Flash 04 with another big garage and height adjustable bed, and our current PVC which actually officially has 2 lounges - a front half dinette and rear lounge with facing side sofas on a raised section of floor (storage underneath). We always leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and it gives us loads of storage underneath, enough for 2 inflatable canoes (and all the kit to go with them such as paddles, life jackets etc), 2 electric folding bikes, spare bedding, towels, food, 2 leisure batteries, the gas locker ... and lots of space for more!

We love having a 'fixed' bed as it doubles up as a second lounge/chill out area even when left in bed mode, when we're away if one of us is tired the bed is easily accessible without compromising whatever the other is doing at the other end of the van; when hubby is cooking tea I usually slob out on the bed and do my puzzle book, and he does the same whilst I wash up, then we both have a slob out on it with the dogs whilst we watch a DVD ... pure bliss. We would NOT have a MH without a 'fixed' bed, we love them.
As I suspected - not everyone agrees with me :xlaugh::xlaugh:

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
We moved from a wide 5.99 m cb to a narrower 6.75 m a class in oct. The width makes the biggest difference both at home and abroad. Look at Hymer exsis i models or similar types.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I do have many years of HGV and PSV experience
I have a funny feeling that this may be the deciding factor in whether or not somebody's ever going to be comfortable with the size of MH. With this sort of experience (which allows you to gauge your width, length, height etc as part of your natural thought process) goes the feeling of confidence, and also the 'I have the right to do this' that a lot of us inexperienced MH drivers just don't have.
I guess the balancing act between INTERNAL size requirements and EXTERNAL size requirements is a matter of preference but also a matter of psychology!
(Expecting some rude comments to follow...)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had a quick shuftie at the size of the Bolero and it is a 'chubby' van at 2.35m wide ... our Chausson was 2.3m wide and that was too fat some times, especially when driving on narrow 2 way country roads with on coming traffic. It isn't just the length that you need to think of but the extra width too as it will NOT fit widthwise in a normal parking spot.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
As I suspected - not everyone agrees with me :xlaugh::xlaugh:
Hi, I think we have the best of all worlds - a fixed bed and the manoeuvrability/parking advantages of a 5.9m van. We have a comfy lounging space, four-burner hob and oven plus the usual fridge, wardrobe and washroom facilities, loads of cupboards, plenty of floor space and, best of all, the huge storage space under the fixed bed. AND we fit into all but the very smallest of car-parking spaces. Having a fixed bed doesn't always mean having to put up with the inconvenience of a larger vehicle.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have an Autotrail Tracker FB at 7.09m length not a problem here or in Europe but the new ones are quite wide with those big wing mirrors but you soon get used to it and they drive really well:xThumb:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Never had a M/H till last year and was concerned like yourself having towed for many years (which was a nightmare) our van is 7 Mtrs and have to say been a pleasure to drive no issues with overhang or getting into anywhere been all round France without any problems at all my advice would be don't worry just take it easy and enjoy
The only real thing you have to worry about is the width, but again if it's tight just go slow or even stop if passing other vechicles and let them decide if it's to tight in which case they can reverse (unless it's a women driver of course )

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
unless it's a women driver of course
Pursed lips & sharp intake of breath!!!

A few years ago now I told Him Indoors "I've just reversed into the garage."
"Well done!" says he.
"No," I said. "I've just reversed into the garage!"

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, one thing to remember is when in some car parks if you over hang into another space you will need 2 tickets especially in Devon . Some attendants are a bit Pinnickety down there. I was lucky somebody warned me.

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Think ours is 6.9m, it does have a bit or rear overhang, but I find it easy to drive. You just have to think about that overhang before a turn.

Never parked in a supermarket, but when we have stopped at mcd's etc en-route I have always tried to get out of the way but taken a couple of spaces. But then we have a 1966 Dodge Charger that took a space and some of the three around it the other day. If you are going to be a bear....be a grizzly!

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
My daughter lives in paignton traffic wardens a nightmare one tried to have me once but didnt know I had photographed ticket he was that short to read it axxo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back