World Wars Cemeteries - Ypres - Belgium (1 Viewer)

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Have to admit I was amazed the first time I saw them. Looked for my house/road and saw a funny mark on the map so I clicked on it. It said it was a bus stop, where the bus went and the time of the next pne. amazing.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Very interesting - I never knew there were so many cemetries in Belgium - with Harry Patch dying recently its all quite poignate a couple of years ago we were in Ghent and went to Passendale Tynecott and Menin Gate as well as the museums - it brings a tear to the eye and asks why can man be so inhuman to man..

Plan to take grandson over next year - does any one have knowledge of a good RV friendly site in or around Ypres area ??

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
On a sunny afternoon travelling through Belgium it's hard to imagine the horrors of war despite brief flashes of muddy fields, barbed wire, helmeted Tommy's with bayonets fixed charging across the line as shells fall all around. The squeeks I hear are not from MkI tanks, but those coming from the passenger seat as we bounce along the N364 from Diksmuide to Ypres.

We arrive around 3pm and walk down to the Menin Gate to a quiet look around, returning in the evening to pay our respects along with hundreds of vistors that
assemble each evening to hear the last post.

I'll be honest, it's such a moving ceremony it brought tears to my eyes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back