NRC

May 6, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
Sustained damage to Kitchen Worktop after last trip away.
When Cupboard Door opened Dish fell from Cupboard onto Kitchen Worktop.
Resultant damage is deep crack to the Kitchen Worktop.
I have obtained an Estimate (not a quote), for the Worktop to be repaired.
I have also contacted my Insurer who will accept the claim for the sustained damage, though I have to obtain Estimates for them to then consider.
The repair Estimate figure is lower than the Policy Excess (though may rise to a higher amount as repair is undertaken) so may seem better to go with having Worktop repaired and paying myself.
My concern presently is, are Worktop repairs long lasting.
I have no doubt the repair will be either invisible or nearly invisible as of day one.
What about next year, year after as repair is subjected to different temperatures and general usage?
Motorhome no longer in production so replacement Worktop no longer available from manufacturer.
However I am sure a competent repairer using the damaged Worktop as a template could fabricate an acceptable replacement.
Would greatly appreciate anyone's advice, experiences and recommendation's.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
on a previous van i trickled pva glue into the crack over several days until i got up to the surface level and then gently smoothed it over when dry , try it you have nothing to lose

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Sustained damage to Kitchen Worktop after last trip away.
When Cupboard Door opened Dish fell from Cupboard onto Kitchen Worktop.
Resultant damage is deep crack to the Kitchen Worktop.
I have obtained an Estimate (not a quote), for the Worktop to be repaired.
I have also contacted my Insurer who will accept the claim for the sustained damage, though I have to obtain Estimates for them to then consider.
The repair Estimate figure is lower than the Policy Excess (though may rise to a higher amount as repair is undertaken) so may seem better to go with having Worktop repaired and paying myself.
My concern presently is, are Worktop repairs long lasting.
I have no doubt the repair will be either invisible or nearly invisible as of day one.
What about next year, year after as repair is subjected to different temperatures and general usage?
Motorhome no longer in production so replacement Worktop no longer available from manufacturer.
However I am sure a competent repairer using the damaged Worktop as a template could fabricate an acceptable replacement.
Would greatly appreciate anyone's advice, experiences and recommendation's.
Many thanks.
Trend Routers [based in Watford] design and produce an entire range of cutters and supporting materials. It's about 10 years ago that they launched a 'worktop repair kit' for Kitchen Fitters that consisted of [IIRC] a series of wooden plugs, cutters and colour matched patches to achieve 'invisible repairs'. The Cutter gouges out the damaged laminate and chipboard to a template circular shape; the plug is then inserted into the chipboard area to an engineered fit and glued in place. The laminate matching shape circular plug is then glued with contact adhesive and that's it. Might be worth contacting them to see if the kit is still in production. I think there was also an option to cut the laminate from a 'good area' that would be out of sight, and to insert a new replacement laminate plug if a perfect colour match could not be obtained [think the worktop equivalent of a skin graft!]

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
A coloured worktop jointing compound would do it, fill hole and scrape/wipe of the excess.

It would still be slightly noticeable but would definitely take your eye off it and stop it getting any worse.

FYI your insurance may still increase even if you don’t claim now you have told them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back