Working From the Van (1 Viewer)

Ktea

Free Member
Apr 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 374
Hi there - I am thinking more and more that I could equally be working from my van somwhere in the wilds of Wales as from my dining room table.

The challenge is though internet connection. Most of my work consists of small group work held over Zoom. This means I need a reasonable strong signal. This has been difficult to sought out.

Does anyone here have advice on how I might be able to obtain a reasonably strong 4g signal from my van?

Many thanks

Ktea

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

This might help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
working from your van will probably mean you need to insure the van for trtade use

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ktea

Ktea

Free Member
Apr 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 374
This has been my first ever post (probably on anything - not a facebook user!) Thank you - so many useful suggestions....
I am not much of an internet buff (when it comes to connections and the amount of bandwidth required..) I regularly use my phone as a hotspot and this does work really well but it just doesn't see to be able to provide enough... something?.... to conduct four Zoom connections at the same time. Will use the links you have kindly sent me to explore more.

Great forum!!

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2021
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
If using the mobile as a hotspot you may want to check your operators Ts & Cs on data usage. Some throttle the connection when used as a hotspot. It is also a good idea to check your operators coverage for where you are going to save any surprises on arrival :giggle:

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I was without signal most of the time I was in Pembrokeshire last week. But talking to another guy who works from the van he was using Vodaphone but I did not try the company phone but have had no issues in the past with reception in that area.

I am on cheapy smarty but have not had a problem anywhere else managed to use the phone as a hotspot, just means that you need to make sure that you have a good signal before the meeting is due to start allowing ample time to move if its not .

I have been working 'mobile'* for years the van has become part of my 'home office' I do not use the van to go to clients so the equipment is insured under business and home contents away from home.

The van is not used for trade as suggested by mitzmad but it would depend on what you do and how you use it. which would need looking into. There are thousands of people working from their vans and yes I agree with you far better than the home office or kitchen table. Some of my colleagues think that I have the most amazing 'water features' sea views. :rofl: 🏖️

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
At the risk of sounding like I'm taking the mickey, it's just about parking near a cell site to ensure a good signal.

The finer detail includes ... In rural areas lower frequencies are used to get greater coverage but at the expense of lower bandwidth. If you're one of a few users attached to a mast, you won't notice but if there's a lot of you, you will. If you want guaranteed bandwidth for an important call , find yourself a spot in a biggish town to take advantage of higher frequencies with less coverage but higher cell density and better bandwidth.

You'll need your Service providers MNC code (eg 234 15 is Vodafone) but this site is useful. Look for the LTE sites for 4G.
https://opencellid.org/#zoom=16&lat=37.77889&lon=-122.41942

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If you have a smart phone you could use that as a hot-spot. Works for us.
Thats what I do, I have unlimited 5g wi-fi on 3network (when available) & my Samsung phone works really well as a hot-spot.
I've been truly astonished with the 4g service, even in the middle of the Galloway forest the signal is strong & consistent!

Its not really expensive either.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Depending if cost is an issue but recently seen some videos on YouTube ref "starlink".
Think it's a satellite based system run by the Tesla man, Elon Musk. To expensive for job blogs but as a business expense ?? :wink:

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
What you need is one of these..Huawei 4G Plus MiFi or similar along with a Puk type receiver on your roof. Lots of info on here if you search for MiFi

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

This might help
Sorry didn't see your post but yes that would be my suggestion too (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Redundancy, good roof antenna and good router.

I've been working from our van online for the last few years.

We have one 4G contract (unlimited) for the router, 2 phones on different networks (hotspots) and a couple of PAYG cards for when all else fails. If still no signal - day off ;)

Welcome to Fun.

PS. It's a slippery slope. Started with working on WiFi at the beach the odd day. Now we're fulltime in van (and love it) :LOL:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Mobile phones, routers and masts have hard limits on the output power of their radio signal. A bigger and better designed aerial will receive/transmit better, over a longer distance or with better bandwidth.

If the tiny aerial in your phone works for you, then you're in luck, but if not there are various sizes of roof aerial.

To go with the aerial you can get a mifi device, ie a router that connects to the phone mast and provides a local wifi connection in the MH. These range from small pocket-sized mifi with internal battery, to a larger router like the Teltonika RUT950 or RUTX11, which are used on for example intercity coaches. The best ones have dual SIM, with automatic 'failover', ie it selects the one that's working automatically.

MotorhomeWifi will provide working tested kit and install it if you want, and good after-sales support. Solwise provide the bits if you want to make up your own solution.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I've got a MiFi box (TPLink - about £30 from Amazon) and a data only sim on Three and it streams Netflix fine. I've also had the laptop running along with Netflix, but the only caveat is being somewhere with a signal. You can check coverage online and make sure you're somewhere for your Zoom meetings.

I also have a mobile that's on a different network (O2), so if Three isn't working, then I've got the option to 'Hotspot' on there if required.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett ... what do you use?
I have a ubiquiti nano M5 and a MikroTik Routerboard router with PoE built in.
I also have a range of PAYG sims for those times when my main provider doesn't have service in the area.

For most places I use Three, but occassionally have to fall back on EE. Only on one occassion have I had to fall back further onto Vodafone but that was a long time ago.

Wifi antenna/router directional.

Antenna mount with suction cup.
Amazon product ASIN B007FGSHS4
Internal router with PoE.

For 4G, I use an old HuaWei B593u-12 which runs on 12v, has 4 ethernet ports and external antenna ports.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back