Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Returning from shepton show the brakes on my trail lite condor started binding :Eeek:for no apparent reason, pulled over and let them cool and all appeared to return to normal the rest of the way home.
on searching net for advice found on rv talk forum that the NHTSA has an investigation ongoing about this problem on the workhorse W20 chassis built between year 2000 and 2005, mine is 2001. apparently it is caused by the brake linkage binding, unsure how to insert a link:Blush: but the investigation number is PE 07032, has anyone else come accross this problem :thanks:

Roy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have'nt heard anyone here having it until now but I've read about it on USA forums as well.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We had that problem in Belgium recently. We were told it is a common fault.

I paid someone to fix it but don't know how to do it myself. It didn't take him long once we got the part which was about £90 from Westcroft.

I know there are users on here who do know so good luck !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi according to the NHTSA its the bell crank seizing up, the fix is, after removing it to just drill it and fit a grease nipple, the yanks call them zerks. DIY for 50p I reckon.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
the fix is, after removing it to just drill it and fit a grease nipple

Duncan, can you remember to do this on my next service::bigsmile:

OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Hi olley
is the bell crank the pivot on top of the brake pedal arm?, if it is, looks like you need to be a contortionist to see it never mind remove it,

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi no I reckon their talking about the crank under the bonnet, if I drop mine down I can see the rod coming through from the pedal, it connects to the bell crank with a ball joint, and then further down there is another which goes into the hydroboost.

The bell crank hinge pin on mine has a bolt on top, remove that and you can lever the pin up, I don´t have sufficient clearance above it to get it all the way out, so I will drill the bell crank in situ, making sure I remove all the swarf before replacing the pin.

The only other way for me would be to unbolt the bell crank bracket but the hydroboost sits on it as well, so not worth the trouble. Grease nipples used to be 1/8 BSP but it must be 20 years since I fitted one, anybody know if they have gone metric?

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
As it has finally stopped raining here in South Wales, I thought I would go and have a look for my Bell crank, I looked under the bonnet or hood, nothing there, crawled underneath, no bell crank, under the dash close to the pedal, nope. it seems that there is a pivot on top of the pedal that connects to a rod which goes vertically through the floor and connects to a linkage fixed to the end of the master cylinder, have all other workhorse chassis got a bell crank except mine?,

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Here's the link to the NHTSA Link Removed page. Enter PE07032 (no spaces) in the search box. It gives a decent description of the issue.

A bell crank is merely a type of linkage. Try doing an online dictionary search for the term and you'll find things such as:

"a lever with two arms that share a fulcrum at the point where they join."

Apparently, the term originated with mechanisms to ring bells for the servants to bring your afternoon tea. Pull the rope in the sitting room, which operates a lever, which in turn pulls another rope in a different direction, etc until it finally rings the bell. That's when the servant says "give me a break!"

I tried to find a relevant photo I could post, but failed. Here's a link to a photo of a Link Removed (aka linkage) used on the fuel injection system of a car.

Now you know as much as I do about bell cranks.

Methinks that Olley has the right fix.

it has finally stopped raining here in South Wales

Drought alert! I lived in "sunny South Wales" for 32 years and the only time the sun came out they banned hose pipes. When folks here in California ask me what the weather is like there, I say "it rains 366 days a year".

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi roy this is where mine is, and I would have thought as its a w/h part they would all be in the same place??

Olley

Attachments

• P1030807.jpg
    P1030807.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1030806.jpg
    P1030806.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Problem solved ( hopefully )
I have just visited workhorse chassis owners website and found that I have a P series chassis, bell cranks are fitted to W series chassis, it seems that the problem with mine could be that there is a nut and bolt on linkage close to master cylinder which could be too tight, it is safe to slightly slacken this off as there, is a cotter pin through it.
I will get underneath to-morrow, weather permitting and slack off this nut, then, all I have to do is convice the wife that it is a good idea to take the coach to the NEC show

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back