Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
At last we've found a little time between hospital trips to start some work. Siân is busy upstairs decorating bedrooms, I'm outside building our 5 pitch campsite and French draining the rally field.

We've not commissioned the big stuff yet as getting tradesmen just to answer the phone or return a call is almost impossible. We need a complete rewire. a completely new boiler and central heating system, two bathrooms and a kitchen to fit after knocking various walls down. dreading it :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We need a complete rewire. a completely new boiler and central heating system, two bathrooms and a kitchen to fit after knocking various walls down. dreading it :D
Bit OTT just for an ablution block Jim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We know a gas engineer and also a bathroom/kitchen fitter within 20 miles of Sutton. Use the gas engineer every year to service boiler and he also fitted a new boiler for us 2 years ago. Have no experience of bathroom/kitchen work but the same fitter did an excellent job with brickwork and woodwork in our garden. Would recommend both. PM if you want phone numbers.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Jim so pleased to hear you can make a start, Eddie and I have been thinking of you often, looking forward to getting there in May, could linger for a while.
Love to Siàn and Katie. x

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
At last we've found a little time between hospital trips to start some work. Siân is busy upstairs decorating bedrooms, I'm outside building our 5 pitch campsite and French draining the rally field.

We've not commissioned the big stuff yet as getting tradesmen just to answer the phone or return a call is almost impossible. We need a complete rewire. a completely new boiler and central heating system, two bathrooms and a kitchen to fit after knocking various walls down. dreading it :D
Jim dont you go trying to overtake Mo with the proceedings now ,will you:LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Good luck with all that! Have fun, love to all and I hope Katie is improving and on the mend.(y)

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
a completely new boiler and central heating system,
There is a local firm that did ours they were very good and a good price MG plumbing and heating services tele 07525068017. I think they done a really good job with us and even fixed the old boiler for free to get us by until they fitted the new one

Neil You can come and look if passing

We bought the Kitchen and bathrooms from Wickes and used there fitters/builders they were excellent as well

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Lovely to hear your getting a start on your new adventure love to sian katie and to you of course best wishes Jan & Mike xx

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I know a guy that's a member of fun not a million miles from you who has almost finished creating a five van site and I gather he's handy with a shovel :D ;)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Good to hear you are able to get moving. Spent a lovely few days on the site last year.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Siân and Jim so pleased, you have waited so long both of you. Don’t know whether Katie will want to share her house though!!!
It’s so frustrating when you have work for the trades and they don’t get back to you.
Keep at it.
Such good news.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Good news, and take it that it's good news for Katie if you now have time to think of things other than the hospital.

Looking forward to seeing it & best of luck with everything :)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Good news Jim. Hopefully we shall get up to see you this year. Probably before or after Saltfleet If we can help with anything else please just let us Know
Kate Bill & Amanda xxx

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Great news that you can at last start, at least you are heading to the better seasons for house repairs, frustrating that builders etc don't return folks calls

Send Sian and Katie our regards too

John n Kath x

Reactions: Jim
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Nice to hear you now have at least some time to consider the work that needs to be done.

I know you have enough on your plate at present but, if you have the time, what is French draining?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice to hear you now have at least some time to consider the work that needs to be done.

I know you have enough on your plate at present but, if you have the time, what is French draining?

Digging ditches, lining them with stone and the inserting a perforated pipe. The theory is that the field will be drier. It needs to be a lot drier, it’s a swamp (literally)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_drain

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Should have got @ianthebuilder to do the dirty work he’d have been as happy as a pig in s**t by the sound of the swamp.
You could have towed Helga to the far end of the swamp and left them till tide had gone out.(y)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Plenty of work for brickies up in Lincs Ian,

There is more than enough work for everyone at the present time, all trades are rushed off there feet so you wouldn't have to bother with mindless house bashing, from what I've seen of your job's, your more than just the brickie mate (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you considered using Rated People or Check A Trade?

Tradesmen in these sites are usually more customer focused and active looking for work, as they pay to feature on these sites.

Hope all goes well with the works

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
As you probably know I did get my card so I can do site work,, but that will be for emergencies only!! I really like working on people’s houses, for the public! I just find site work a grind, and nobody seems that bothered anymore! Xx

Glad your getting going Jim,,, hope family is all good,, Xxxx

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Great news! I should imagine the place will look lovely by the time Sian has finished with it.
Sending you all warmest regards xx
Any photos?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Best of luck with that,(y). As a younger man, I did one Full Self Build, took us 2 years living on site in an R-V, and with an old "Static" for office and Utilities. All done personally, not just supervised! as most are these days, all hands on. (Except the bricky-ing, I`m useless at that!). Then when that became unmanageable for SWMBO.:( We spent nearly a Year in the R-V on the drive of our current Bungalow, gutting and refurbishing, which in my view was even harder!. NO more!!!.:D2. "French" draining is fun, getting the levels right so it drains where you WANT it too can be an interesting exercise. Part of the "house site" was "uphill" in relation to the Property to get to the Land drain!, eventually it worked. In the 2008? floods we stayed dry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back