Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If I've posted this in the wrong section then apologies

I've been investigating blogging, not that I'm convinced I've got anything to say !

The whole subject is brand new to me and while I've got the idea that WordPress is the way to go along with a hosted site rather than free, the number for themes has left me baffled

In the end I of course realise that it's a matter of personal taste however my real question is do they really all do the same (when you add plug-ins) therefore just pick one Alistair get on with it!

Or are there real differences in operation that I should be aware of?

many thanks Alistair

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Some basic rules I follow.
Only use a theme that has a history of regular updates. A lot of themes are written by amateurs who never update them to fix security issues. You will likely get hacked if you choose one of these poorer quality themes. Find one that has regular updates and you can be reasonably confident that they care enough to keep security up to date.

On plugins. The few the better. each plug has to load every time a page is viewed. The more you have the slower your site will be.

The same principles for updates apply to plugins. Look for one that has been updated recently, check the reviews and be sensible.

The most important thing with wordpress is to update it IMMEDIATELY an update is released. This applies to the core, themes and plugins.

Other than that, it is fantastic software. I will put a list of plugins I use together for you. I have never had a wordpress install hacked on my server.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Thanks Gromett .... so is it a case of as long as it is updated regularly and it can look the way I want it (from live demos) then they are all the same to someone of my skills ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Choosing the theme is not a final step - you can change to a different theme later and it will just change the appearance of the site but you won't lose what you've already done.
You need to give a bit of thought to the hosting package you want, it is possible to install Wordpress yourself but it will be a lot easier if you choose a package where it is already installed. This may mean paying a little more than the basic packages on offer. I would then set it to auto update the theme so security updates are applied as soon as they are available.
To get started, remember you can change it later, I suggest just choose one of the basic themes Wordpress offer, they have ones called 2015, 2016 and not unsurprisingly one called 2017. For blogs it is possible (on some of them) to set them so the latest posting goes at the end. You may not want to choose this but it is worth having as an option for later as personally I find blogs which effectively read backwards very off putting. :)
I don't have a blog but the only plugins on my WP page are an anti-spam one (Askimet), a Contact Me form and Mailchimp for newsletters. The latter is a bit tricky to set up but if I managed it...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back