LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
nobodys asked yet, so how our little one today...

"Woody".......... is very poorly.... :Sad:

Had to wake him to give him his 6am feed.... then he didn`t eat much and fell asleep while feeding him...

Come to the conclusion, them 5 or 6 days ago was an inaugaral flight, and crashing into the window he may have some internal injury`s... :Blush:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
"Woody".......... is very poorly.... :Sad:

Had to wake him to give him his 6am feed.... then he didn`t eat much and fell asleep while feeding him...

Come to the conclusion, them 5 or 6 days ago was an inaugaral flight, and crashing into the window he may have some internal injury`s... :Blush:

sorry to hear things are not going too well with woody:Sad:, your doing a great jog with him, lets hope he gets better:thumb:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
I was feeling too nervous to ask Mo, no news is good news and all that.

thing is, even if Woody doesn't make it any further, at least he had a great kind hearted person in you helping him all the way.

But hey, never say never.........

fingers crossed
xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Oh I'm so sad he is poorly, I must go and tell Joy (Movan) about Woody she will be sad too.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just read the thread all through Mo, hope he is a bit better, think you have done amazing bringing him in out of the cold and takeing care of him, no matter what the outcome you gave him your best shot, he did not stay out in the cold and rain but given warmth and food no one could do more.

Proud of you I am :Smile:.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
"Woody" is no more....

As has been the last 24 hours,,,, had to wake Woody up this afternoon to give him his 2 hourly feed...

And as before part way through his meal he fell asleep.... put clean bedding in and put him back in his box in the sun...

Went and checked an hour later and he had died... :cry:

I honestly thought after a few days the way he was, I would soon be releasing him back to the wild.... Not to be...

He has gone to the big forest in the sky... Wish I had video`d him,,,,, quite a character... :Smile:

Tried me best.... :Sad:

Don't need to get up at the crack of dawn now... :Sad:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
you done an amazing job Mo.

No one could have saved him.

I feel for you:cry:

Lesley

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
During first light a baby Woodpecker must have flown into one of the big bay windows...

When we found him he was in a poor state... Picked him/her up and screeched like a banshy...

Put it back where the other woodpeckers feed and hoped Mum or Dad would come and feed it...

Just been out after 5 hrs or so and he is where we left him and almost lifeless...

So wrapped it up in a blanket and put it in a box in the kitchen.... thought if he is going to die he would die warm...

Cant put it back where we think the nest may be..... it`s in a valley about half a mile away... and wouldn`t know where to put it..

He has perked up now it`s warmer,,,, took it back outside and it just flopped to the ground.... and it is persisting down with rain and it was soaked within minutes...

So bought it back in.... it has perked up a bit and is just sitting watching the TV...

What do they eat that is readily available for us to try and feed him/her... ?

Thanks...

Maggots and mealworms may work I believe (Fishing Tackle sop or Petshop)

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
sorry mo, so sad:cry: you made his/her last few days comfortable. Thats all anyone can do so be proud you did your bit.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Indeed VeryOldMoMan you did a good job and the best that you could. He/she went to the big sky truly loved and followed by a lot of people. He/she could have died cold and alone or got by some cat or other creature and died in agony. So chin up OldMan, you will remember him/her, not many Woodpeckers can say that. ::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Waaahhh!!!:cry:

(pull yourself together man...)

Sniff....sorry...

...what a shame :Sad: Thanks for trying Mo.

Just wondering, maybe a cat brought him into your garden? I've read that birds injured by cats don't tend to survive long even when looked after because cat saliva contains all sorts of germs/bacteria that can get into wounds.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ok Bro you did a grand job and I'm proud of yer
Now what's it to be a burial in the garden or crepeckmation :cry:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Ok Bro you did a grand job and I'm proud of yer
Now what's it to be a burial in the garden or crepeckmation :cry:

Little hole under the bushes... :thumb:

Got a right soft spot for our feathered friends.... spose it stems from keeping birds of prey...

We used to breed Owl`s and supply the Owl sanctuary up in the New Forest, and they used to ship them out to some oriental Island that was over run with Mice & Rat`s... Judy did that...

And I had a Superior Hawk with a wingspan of 6ft 10 inches... Vicious sod he was. :Eeek:.... was offered some very high price for him by a breeder in Wales.... so had to sell, would have been a fool not to... :RollEyes: ££££££`s

Going to get another one when I retire and can give him/her 100% of my time.. :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thats a shame.:Sad:

Well done though. As someone above said - you gave him a chance:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Oh Mo, just come on and read this, really sorry to hear this. But at least you know that you tried your very best with him and he wouldn't have survived so long outside had you not found him and cared for him:Sad:

I tried caring for a young Mallard that wandered into our garden a while back, but he didn't even make it through the first night. You did your best and that's all you could have done for him.....:Sad:

Thanks for keeping us informed over the past few days:thumb:

Margaret:Sad:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
As has been the last 24 hours,,,, had to wake Woody up this afternoon to give him his 2 hourly feed...

And as before part way through his meal he fell asleep.... put clean bedding in and put him back in his box in the sun...

Went and checked an hour later and he had died... :cry:

I honestly thought after a few days the way he was, I would soon be releasing him back to the wild.... Not to be...

He has gone to the big forest in the sky... Wish I had video`d him,,,,, quite a character... :Smile:

Tried me best.... :Sad:

Don't need to get up at the crack of dawn now... :Sad:

only thing i can think of is sorry fella

but you gave it a go many wouldnt

so well done sir mo

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just got in from work,:cry:

gutted, sorry mate, you did the best any man could,

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Nature

Just like Woody there are times when nature needs a hand.
Walking on Portsteward Strand (Co Londonderry) last week and saw what looked like penguin on the shore. Now knowing there are no penguines in the North I realised that it was baby puffin. It must have been caught in a curent and washed ashore. I told the NT warden who shrugged "thats nature" but I couldn't stand by and see it starve to death Called a centre in Coleraine and they said they would collect it. I wish I had stayed to see if it was OK.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
What a shame but at least his few days with you were ones where he was cared for and as others have said not dying cold and alone. Well done Mo.

Kath and Howie

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suggest we all ask our beloved Leader (may his name be forever praised) to make June 25th "Woody Woodpecker" day and declare it to be an Offical Funster Day Of Remembrance.

Maybe we should have a special, annual meet so Mr Woodpecker is never forgotten.

All those in favour say "Aye!"

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
If it had been a human being... JJ..

I would have just left it, ....... :winky::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I suggest we all ask our beloved Leader (may his name be forever praised) to make June 25th "Woody Woodpecker" day and declare it to be an Offical Funster Day Of Remembrance.

Maybe we should have a special, annual meet so Mr Woodpecker is never forgotten.

All those in favour say "Aye!"

JJ :Cool:

AYE !!!!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)