wont take his wormer for his passport (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
don't know if it will work for dogs, but if i licked my had and put the tablet on top our cats would take them quite happilly, no chance if i didnt lick my hand, wish i could remember how on earth i discovered this would work.

The mind boggles how you did :D

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our Border Collie simply won't take his wormer. We've tried everything - nothing works. All of the vets we've been to just get him to take as much as they can and give up. It usually ends up with most of the tablet on the floor!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we used to wrap in ham, then found soft cheese was better, most vets don't really seem that bothered as long as we get something in, one vets after two attempts were spat out told us we now had to have an injection

total bill for that visit €70 o_O

we never went back to that vets

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Our Border Collie simply won't take his wormer. We've tried everything - nothing works. All of the vets we've been to just get him to take as much as they can and give up. It usually ends up with most of the tablet on the floor!
so do you go to France? because if you do I'd like to know which vets you go to!!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
so do you go to France? because if you do I'd like to know which vets you go to!!

Yes, we return via France each time so 2-3 times a year. We don't go to the same vet each time so I've no idea which we've used. One vet signed the passport, gave us the tablet and we tried to give it to him ourselves... big fail.

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
thanks
your post reassures me we can meet vets who are amenable to stubborn collies!!
also
your post makes me feel better knowing its collies and not me!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I bought one of these. You can crush the tablet in the other end. Mix with a bit of bloody neat, job done!
Screenshot_20190512-210603_eBay.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
we travel with a five year old collie. hes a clever boy but nervous and very unconfident. very friendly - til some unknown person wants to examine him...
ive watched over these years -sometimes twice a year once three times but every year so quite a few visits!!--as he decides hes not taking his drontal at the vets on our way home, culminating in a very embarrassing session in Brittany out on the pavement with best french pate...

we are off again in a couple of weeks. hes not food orientated - food treats dont overide any anxiety - but i am using his highest level treat of hardly cooked liver pieces and a throwing game which hes enjoying. hes having a ten day course of tablets at the moment and having refused the first one after watching me insert it into a piece of liver has accepted that and plays the game and catches, knowing theres a tab inserted

so far so good

i am very nervous about this return vet visit!
the last one was incredibly understanding patient and inventive but theyre not all going to be like that

so im asking for any other tips and suggestions please!!!
Practise for a while with a cat. Your dog will seem easy after that.:)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
thanks
your post reassures me we can meet vets who are amenable to stubborn collies!!
also
your post makes me feel better knowing its collies and not me!!

Yep, Collies seem to be in a league of their own when it comes to taking medication! I think it's partly due to the fact that they're not food orientated - that, coupled with massive intelligence, makes it a real challenge. We tried literally everything - nothing worked. I regularly wormed 24 horses, some of whom were 'challenging' but I always managed to do the deed... not with our hound though! :rolleyes:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I know you've touched on it, but probably the real reason is your own anxiety in anticipation of problems. Dogs pick up on this very quickly.

Have to say (sorry!) that we have no such problems with our Westie - he actually loves going to the vet, we just turn it into an exciting visit for him, but I suppose we're lucky with ours. As regards returning to the UK we (almost) always use the same vet in Rue who is very positive - if Jamie won't take the tablet straightaway (normal) no messing about, just holds open his mouth, puts the tablet on the back of his tongue then holds mouth shut and strokes his throat. Never failed.

As regards injections our vet has advised against it as Westies are prone to skin problems.

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I think you’re right
Partly I suspect why I posted! To try and reduce that before the vet visit!
But it’s not all me. As Southdowners says collies do seem to be in a league of their own over meds. His lack of food orientation compounds any issues. If it wasnt for the passport issue I’d be totally relaxed and i have to say fascinated at watching him suss this process over the visits in France to the point last year and his complete refusal.
I think possibly I might just stay outside for his exam and wormer

Thanks everyone for allowing me to vent some of that anxiety and for all your tips

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
just up dating after all your help
we had a good stay in Bautzen - got our double glazed clouded windows done- and stayed a few nights on lovely campsite by the lake. we did pickup a few ticks though...
Lovely vet 300 yards away in the village, no english us with limited german but nurse/receptionist a good go between
demonstrated our by now faultless display of razzed up dog catching tablet packed liver pieces carefully brought frozen for the purpose
Vet decided different drug because of all the ticks wed removed

Dog chomped that tablet like it was better than liver.

two days later checking tunnel crossing
uh oh
NexGuard Spectra absolutely not Defra accepted.....

quick dash to Brugges vet for top up on passport!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Ask for injection. It cost me €7 extra and job done by french vet.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
One of ours is not good at taking tablets. We find a soft blue cheese is the best, Cambozola or Bresse bleu are good. Our vet just opens her mouth and shoves it down.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Have you tried an anti-anxiety spray like Adaptil?
Our dog is a perfect traveller so we haven't had to use it since puppy days but our friends dog is a highly nervous traveller and hates new places.
They spray Adaptil on his bedding and now he's perfectly calm travelling and in new situations, might reduce your dogs anxiety.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
My younger dog had a really bad reaction to having the wormer by injection, and we only did it by injection because the older one is a sod for spitting the tablets out!

His head swelled really badly so his eyes were virtually closed, he had pea sized lumps all up his legs, really frightening experience for us all, rushed back to the late opening vet, which of the 7 in the area happened to be the one that had done the jab a few hours earlier!

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Do they still make Rollo’s. Good for hiding tablets in and 1 or 2 do no harm at all. Rest of the packet for you!

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve used recently, wormer, flea etc using one that is a vial that you put in back of the neck. Can’t fir life if me remember the name but was very effective.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
One vet insisted on giving the injection and not a tablet, as he said , the dog could sick the tablet up within minutes of leaving the vets and then could suffer

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
One vet insisted on giving the injection and not a tablet, as he said , the dog could sick the tablet up within minutes of leaving the vets and then could suffer

You used to have to, when you first started to be able to take dogs abroad.

I’d go the injection route. Collies are too clever by half! Ours were ok with tablets (following ‘this isn’t a tablet. No, no. This is a BIG treat’ game.)

He could possibly learn tablets mean rewards. But I’d just inject - better for the dog, and the vet doesn’t have to be up at the sharp end (ours never bit, but our vet anyways muzzled them, even though she didn’t routinely with other breeds. She said Collies are just too quick!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back