Won’t rev above 2750rpm Fiat Ducato X290 (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mine went into limp mode just before we were due to leave for Norway three years ago. The 2750rpm sounds about right but I could get up to 40mph eventually by gently going up through the gears. Five garages and a £1000 later it turned out to be a relay costing £16.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Mine went into limp mode just before we were due to leave for Norway three years ago. The 2750rpm sounds about right but I could get up to 40mph eventually by gently going up through the gears. Five garages and a £1000 later it turned out to be a relay costing £16.
Ouch ! That's what I'm trying to do the process of elimination work before I call in the professionals.!

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Update.

Well .... this seemed suspiciously easy .........

Crawled all over the engine with my inspection lamp, checked every pipe I could see but couldn't spot any obvious rodent damage.

I'm a little paranoid about rodents after fuel pipe chewing incident of Nov 2020.

Started up - still same problem.

Plugged in the code reader. Showed three faults. Unfortunately I didn't grab picture of the codes on the screen.

Two related to fuel pressure which I think were historic. The EML came on in November after I replaced the fuel pipes but went off after 5 restarts of the ignition.

The third related to the MAF sensor. I unplugged the cable to the MAF sensor and cleaned the connector block with contact spray.

I then cleared the codes and fired it up ... all back to normal and revs quite happily!

So ... cost £30 for the code reader and the contact spray. Finger crossed that's all it is.

I'm just having a cup of tea and then I'm off on a 15 mile drive - wish me luck!
IMG_3451.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes a dodgy maf or the connections brings on restricted revs without a light. If it is a dodgy maf at anytime you can circumvent it by unplugging the cable. This allows the ecu to go to 'safety mode' by over fuelling & back to full revs until you can get it replaced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We carry a bluetooth OBD2 code reader in each of our vehicles which connect to the "Torque" app on our phones and tablets.
As you have proved, they can be a big money saver and a get out of jail free. (y)
I've lost count of how many elm327's I've bought over the last few years, as you say keep one in each vehicle ready to use with torque app, but now I also try to keep one in my work bag as people keep coming asking how to read codes - they are normally either dpf or egr these days - and I give them the reader to monitor the codes for a few days and they never get returned!

At least they are only a couple of quid these days

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The MAF sensor is a bloody nuisance - caused me hundreds of pounds couple of years ago until a Fiat Commercial sorted it.

Then just for the last MoT, the light came on again - ODB reader says MAF sensor! But I could clear it and be okay for a day or two then off again. But on our trip last week, never came on at all - engine doesn't go into limp mode though. So when I bring it home ready for the next trip I'll clean up the contacts.

Hope that was all your problem was.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Well … it played up again!

But I’m now 100% sure it was the switch on the clutch pedal at fault.

Basically, with the clutch down the engine will only rev to 2750rpm. That’s what it’s meant to do, I guess as a safety measure.

A couple of weeks ago I ran a couple of cables in that area - these were for my bass speaker. I hadn’t clipped them properly to the back of the lower dash panels and so they were intermittently interfering with the clutch switch!

This would explain why it wasn’t throwing up an engine light error. I think the codes I cleared must have been historic.

Anyway - I got a new code reader out of it and I learnt more about how the the vehicle works. So all good!

Apologies for my endless posts on minor issues ... but you never know, it might help someone sometime.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Basically, with the clutch down the engine will only rev to 2750rpm
Got to love those kind of faults. Well done for sorting it. We had an intermittent ABS fault which was heading towards a new ABS control unit for mucho, mucho, dinero on our Landcruiser. Noticed the brake lights were playing up when the error was shown. Turns out the feed for the ABS computer comes off the back the brake lights switch above the brake pedal, which we gleaned from an Aussie 4x4 forum. Took off, prised apart, cleaned up and all sorted. The power of fora.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Okay, another story in a somewhat similar vein from my driving days. I was returning an empty coach to the depot and about 5 miles from home, at a busy and somewhat restricted roundabout (isn't it always) the throttle decided to open itself wide and I came to a halt with a screaming engine, which I had to shut off or blow it up. A call to the garage before I called the police to explain my predicament and they'd be with me shortly.

A few minutes later the regular driver of this vehicle called me - have a look behind the throttle pedal, he said, he had something similar once before. Sure enough a wrapped sweetie, probably dropped by one of the little darlings I'd just deposited at school, had jammed itself behind the pedal.

Fortunately I'd gone before the police arrived........................!

It's the stupid things that cause the mysteries! Glad you (think you) are sorted.

Chrisreay

Free Member
May 11, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master L2H2
Exp
42 years
I have had this on two occasions with other vehicles, one was the EGR crudded up and the other was the catalytic converter needed a regen
I had this with the EGR, changed it and it's much more lively now. Also had the thermostat fail in the open position and that didn't help the engine get up to temperature - which did affect the performance and fuel economy.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
I have a 2004 Peugeot Boxer, having a running issue with mechanics. It shows red light and looses power when trying to overtake. They put the diagnostics on it whilst driving and it came up with pressure sensor. Changed it, said its ok now, took it away and tried it and it still happened. Took it back to the garage this morning!

Sep 10, 2018
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Pilote P600
Exp
Since 2018
Had a similar problem with my Citroen Picasso HDi. Fault showed as low fuel pressure. I worked out it was the fuel filter. The filter material collapses and ends up reducing the fuel flow. Driving carefully it was fine but putting your foot down caused loss of power and red light coming on as it went into limp home mode. Stopping engine and restarting would clear it until you put your foot down again. Took it to my local garage and asked them to change the filter. They told me that it wouldn't make any difference. I gave them a new filter and they changed it for a tenner. Worked fine ever since. Filter usually changed at 100k miles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not the issue in this case but a note if anyone else reads this will a vehicle which won't go over 60 mph or so, check the waste gate valve for the turbo as they can sometimes jam, once released it's as if the engine has a new lease of life!

Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
2018 150Bhp Fiat Ducato X290.

It was all working fine last week, but today, drove out of the yard and then realised it won’t rev over 2750 rpm.

Visually checked under the bonnet. No leaking fuel lines. Took air filter out, no evidence of rodent invasion.

Filled with diesel last week and driven about 50 miles since.

Learned friends …. what do we think are the most likely issues to cause this?

I’ve ordered an OBD2 code reader from Amazon - can’t believe I don’t already have one of these!

Also - should my air intake have some sort of grill over it - this is just asking for a rodent to crawl in.

View attachment 488870

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Do these readers work on petrol and diesel?

Thinking of buying one but don’t want to buy the wrong one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back