Wokingham Motorhomes and Rapido issues (1 Viewer)

jampot

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Itineo FC650
Bought a brand new £65k Rapido Itineo A Class that’s basically not been sealed (you can reach your hand through) where Rapido extend around the Fiat engine bay. Dealer not accepting this as a significant defect and refusing to refund even though the motorhome and caravan club have been involved, I’ve now had an IAEA inspection and court report confirming the vehicle is unsafe, not fit for purpose and that we are within our right to reject the vehicle within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Does anyone have similar experience and how was it resolved short of going to court? Wokingham Motorhomes won’t provide Rapido’s after sales manager’s (Mr Pfaff) direct contact details so if these could be made available that should help.
many thanks in advance

Solution
I believe I'm correct in saying your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer. If they have sold you faulty goods it's their responsibility.
OP
OP
J

jampot

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Itineo FC650
It’s been inspected by one of the top Motorhome IAEA assessors who’s found a serious design defect and safety issue as there’s no protection from the engine bay from gasses or worst case fire so it’s not just a weather sealing issue (though it fails on that alone as it’s supposed to be winterised). It’s so bad that the fumes from any dirty vehicles exhaust you follow come straight in. Definitely couldn’t drive it through a long tunnel!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Bought a brand new £65k Rapido Itineo A Class that’s basically not been sealed (you can reach your hand through) where Rapido extend around the Fiat engine bay. Dealer not accepting this as a significant defect and refusing to refund even though the motorhome and caravan club have been involved, I’ve now had an IAEA inspection and court report confirming the vehicle is unsafe, not fit for purpose and that we are within our right to reject the vehicle within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Does anyone have similar experience and how was it resolved short of going to court? Wokingham Motorhomes won’t provide Rapido’s after sales manager’s (Mr Pfaff) direct contact details so if these could be made available that should help.
many thanks in advance
They (Rapido) wont take calls anymore from the public with issues, it has to go through the dealer. I found this when i had an issue with my rapido and a very noisy electric bed. Your best bet and really your only one is to get the dealer involved and if they wont then do what I did and start sending recorded letters (all can be found on CAB Site). Mine was sorted when i sent the last letter before court action was going to be taken. These companies wont do nothing unless they know you are willing to go the distance.
Dont let them get away with it, i think as with all manufacturers their quality has gone down hill rapidly over the last few years.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Is your vehicle missing something or are all those models the same?. If the latter, is this not covered by the construction and use or type approval process?

Upvote 0

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Is your vehicle missing something or are all those models the same?. If the latter, is this not covered by the construction and use or type approval process?
It is, instant fail, which either means they’ve duffed up and forgotten to fit a sealing panel.....or their type approval licence is at risk for that model.

If Wokingham Moho’s aren’t playing ball then a solicitor would be my next step for a properly worded letter (PS, check your insurances for legal cover, I went a long and very expensive way down the legal path with it (not Moho related)).

Best of luck

Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jampot

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Itineo FC650
Definitely won’t be using it - actually quite scared to given the lack of protection from the engine bay. Might have to get it into storage though as cant have it filling up the drive whilst we wait to get it resolved.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jampot

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Itineo FC650
They (Rapido) wont take calls anymore from the public with issues, it has to go through the dealer. I found this when i had an issue with my rapido and a very noisy electric bed. Your best bet and really your only one is to get the dealer involved and if they wont then do what I did and start sending recorded letters (all can be found on CAB Site). Mine was sorted when i sent the last letter before court action was going to be taken. These companies wont do nothing unless they know you are willing to go the distance.
Dont let them get away with it, i think as with all manufacturers their quality has gone down hill rapidly over the last few years.
Interestingly after taking to the forums last night I got called by Rapido directly but only to say it’s not their issue and they will only deal with the dealer. A bit later they called back again but this time threatening legal action for posting on the forums and followed this up in an email with similar language. Funny as I thought they’d be keen to step in to achieve a resolution - I’m still a bit shocked really! Before that the Rapido owners group removed all trace of the thread where people were being ever so helpful there too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jampot

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Itineo FC650
Honestly don’t know. It’s a newish model so not been easy to find another owner to check yet. Am looking further at the approvals side now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jampot

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Itineo FC650
It is, instant fail, which either means they’ve duffed up and forgotten to fit a sealing panel.....or their type approval licence is at risk for that model.

If Wokingham Moho’s aren’t playing ball then a solicitor would be my next step for a properly worded letter (PS, check your insurances for legal cover, I went a long and very expensive way down the legal path with it (not Moho related)).

Best of luck

Jim
Thanks jim
Worth a chat if you can PM me?

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
many thanks in advance
Just over 3 years ago I managed to get a helpful response directly from Anthony Pfaff. I sent an email to: info@rapido.fr and put in the subject line 'For the attention of Anthony Pfaff'. The reply from him came from the same email address.
-----------------------------------------------------
Anthony Pfaff

Responsable Technique SAV ---- After-Sales Technical Manager
Groupe Rapido ---- Rapido Group

picture

-----------------------------------------------------
Hope you manage to get it sorted one way or the other.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Interestingly after taking to the forums last night I got called by Rapido directly but only to say it’s not their issue and they will only deal with the dealer. A bit later they called back again but this time threatening legal action for posting on the forums and followed this up in an email with similar language. Funny as I thought they’d be keen to step in to achieve a resolution - I’m still a bit shocked really! Before that the Rapido owners group removed all trace of the thread where people were being ever so helpful there too.
When I had my issue I called and emailed and the first time I got through to Anthony pfaff but after the first nothing was ever returned as they said they would only deal with the dealer and this is who my contract is with. I also told them that the facts of the case were on this forum and it would not do their reputation any good but they insisted on the dealer approach. In the end as mentioned I sought legal advice and started the letters to the dealer. Only after sending 3 letters did I eventually get an email from the dealer saying they would now replace it. The letters were all sent recorded delivery and signed for. I hope you get this sorted but from the sounds of it the dealer is not willing to assist so be prepared for the legal route. I did contact Wokingham motorhomes once when I brought mine as I wanted some work done but they like so many others wouldn't even look at it as I never brought it from them.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Its brand new according to first post so not sure this is relevant

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Subject to hearing Wokingham Motorhomes' side of the story, "Dealer not accepting this as a significant defect and refusing to refund" seems a woeful way to treat a customer who bought a brand new MH from them. Such a serious (alleged) defect is quite uncharacteristic of Rapido so I would have thought they would see it as in their interest to intervene quickly if the dealer won't play ball.

Good luck to the OP if he is left with no other recourse than to go down the legal route against the dealer to get a remedy.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I bought a brand new Burstner, when it arrived at my house it had suffered accident damage that had been poorly repaired, whilst the dealer collected it and repaired it (three weeks) got nowhere with it they denied all knowledge and said they were quite happy to defend it all the way to barrister level Burstner were no help they just confirmed it had not been damaged at the factory and if it had you would have not seen the repair. As far as I am aware you cannot be sued for telling the truth.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Some phots of the problem and asking advice I would think would not be seen as defamatory but would inform others of potential problems, yet again it seems another dealer is going down the we’ve had you money tough?

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i really cannot see how they (manufacturer) can threaten legal action as long as what ever is being said is the truth, i would ensure i have pictures and the required evidence to back the claim and reply to them stating this. As long as you are still polite and not rude then there is very little they can do, it would be better like another post said for them to get it resolved as soon as possible. When i had my issues i still posted to say it was now resolved and that the dealer was now finally taking notice but it is also very stressful when you spend out this much money on a vehicle only for it to be not finished or seriously flawed. My thoughts are with the OP as if it were me i would fight it all the way.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
As said above, the contract is with Wokingham Motorhomes who presumably took your money when you bought the motorhome from them. Its a separate transaction that saw them settle their purchase from Rapido and really they aren't linked as financial transactions. Maybe if it does (unfortunately) go legal, it will be easier trying to sue a UK based company than one in Europe too

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Your contract is definitely with the dealer. Consumer Rights Act 2015 needs looking at. If you have a report that states it is "unsafe and not fit for purpose" and you are within the 30 days then send a letter to then dealer giving your reasons for rejection (enclosing copies of the reports). You can find a template for the letter on the web. Detail all your costs/expenses and ask them to resolve the issue within say 14 days. Make sure the letter is sent recorded delivery. Keep the vehicle until they agree to refund. Ensure it is kept clean and tidy and is damage free. Under no account deliver its back tom the dealer while you try to resolve the issue. (I have been through the process)

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You've lost me, it's brand new so either way it's covered

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Again i have no idea why you are asking this, it has been clearly stated its brand new. The contract is with the dealer which is who should be making good the situation as you put it. Unfortunately they seem to not be helping so i would start sending the recorded letters as per CAB advice pages / templates.

Upvote 1
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
many thanks in advance
How did this end up out of interest?

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
For the sake of balance, we were three week not oa three mont hour of France couple of years ago where na builders van took off our A class wing mirror, I telephoned Rapido and spoke to Mr Pfaff who arranged for us to go to the factory. He came pout examined the damage and supplied us as new mirror and as he had no-one available to fit it let us take it to a local motorhome garage in the next town, he didn't charge us, just said sort it with the dealer. On arriving at the dealership we were seen straight away, MrPfaff had phoned ahead to inform them and the new mirror was fitted, we were on our way 30 mins later.

As to Wokingham motorhomes, I stupidly reversed causing damage to a rear offside panel, Wokingham examined the motorhome (which I didn't buy from them) and drove me to the train station, parts were ordered and I was collected from the station some three weeks later to collect the motorhome, I could not tell it had been repaired, highly professional and helpful service.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back