Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi,

We have given up with trying to stir fry things in the van. I don't think it works very well unless you have a really powerful gas ring to get everything really sizzling. At home it is probably worse as we have an electric hob - even with a halogen ring it doesn't get as hot as we would like and things end up a bit soggy...... Hope that helps

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We have 3 gas hobs and a electric hob and it does get hot enough I think. Want to start eating more healthily. I also have an out side gas for the BBQ as well. So I wonder who cooks with it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We find that cooking anything at high temperature inside the van makes it smell for days afterwards so we use a calor gas stove or electric frying pan outside.

As for recipes - anything to hand goes in. Onions, peppers, aubergine, courgettes, garlic with left-over chicken and a packet of microwave rice chucked in at the end. Season with soy sauce or chilli jam.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Hugh, we have the same arrangement and inside just not the searing heat needed for a non soggy stir fry and as Dawn and Mike B will testify, the Cadac didn't get too hot either....... That was due mainly to operator error, though :blush:

+1 for what Janine said. Simple and fast. With chicken

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I find the Cadac gets plenty hot enough for a small wok.
Get a carbon steel one and season it, non stick are a waste of money.
Cook strong smelling dishes outside for the reasons Janine outlined.
Recipe for stir fry?
Already said, what ever comes to hand, just don't overcook.
In this country we tend to overcook most things.
Cook meat, take it out, cook veg, return meat, add sauce if required.
Done.
Stir fried veggies should be cooked but crisp.
Texture is as important as taste.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Exactly, John - I did say that the Cadac experience was operator error; compounded by two of the world's best mickey takers as observers..........

As you say, it is about texture as well as taste - soggy stir fry is not very nice. You can get away without the precooking if it is sliced thinly enough, especially steak. Chicken we always precook.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
woks do definately come into their own when cooking outside on a real fire .
you can use them but they dont really work unless buried in a nice red ash fire .
then they do beat every other type of cooking .
i like using an oven or pressure cooker .
but when in the right place a fire and a wok work great. ..

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
woks do definately come into their own when cooking outside on a real fire .
you can use them but they dont really work unless buried in a nice red ash fire .
then they do beat every other type of cooking .
i like using an oven or pressure cooker .
but when in the right place a fire and a wok work great. ..

Of course they do, Alan.
Any sufficient heat source will do the job nicely.

I thought I'd be flash one time and use chopsticks to eat my meal.
Mrs served soup.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
This won't help but when my dear departed father in law used to do stir fry he would fill the wok with frozen vegetables and it would become 'stir boil' .........truly disgusting:rolleyes:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I use the wok in the van all the time.
It's a great pan - use it for everything not just stir fry. Did breakfast in it this morning! Also did a chilli in it last week. Very versatile.
The Chinese don't really use much else!

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
I cook chips in mine out side on cadac

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Hugh. Agree with Brewery Dave. Use my wok all the time in the van ... in fact very seldom would I make a main meal NOT in it.....

Re ideas ... there are so very many different cook in sauces now that you can do whatever you want. I am vegetarian but if you want meat just cook your meat (in the wok) first... then put it to one side.

I put small amount of virgin olive oil in the pan with a splash of either Worcester sauce, or Soy sauce ... depending on which cook in sauce I am going to use ... plus LOADS OF BLACK PEPPER.... Add whatever you want ............... chopped onions, peppers, garlic, any in season vegetable.. then add your meat and pour in your cook in sauce OR A TIN OF PLUM TOMATOES .... Leave to simmer for about ten minutes on low heat. Again depending on what sauce/tin you use I then add a small amount of sweet corn from a tin.

The whole thing takes maximum of fifteen minutes ... and don't forget you can chop all your vegetable before you leave home and put them in plastic containers in the fridge.

If using chicken breasts you can use Green Thai curry sauce or something like that with very little else .. and serve with rice. There is a box of rice now which takes only ten minutes to cook so it can be cooking in another pan whilst doing your wok food. If hungry, can put garlic bread in over for ten minutes at same time.... so everything still done in fifteen minutes total.

In other words I LOVE MY WOK... Had it years and now Dave Busman is going to borrow it at Southport having shared a meal with me in my van.

Oh, and re your rice ... for a change now and then ... you can buy tins of coconut milk at supermarkets but go to the foreign aisle as it is about sixty pence as opposed to two pounds in usual aisles.... and use that to cook your rice in as opposed to water.

Also, don't forget you can add chopped onions or sweet corn or peas to the rice at the last minute of cooking just for a change. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I still struggle with getting the thing hot enough, though. Love stir fried food but hate it when soggy...... As before - operator error. Oh well, back to wok tomorrow..........

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
LOL Oh dear, David..... your reputation as a chef has already preceded you I am afraid. ;)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I always used my wok outside for stir fry normally on my Cadac. The reason, well wait till the oil is smoking, then give it another few minutes, the secret to hot crispy veg. One of mine and the boys favourites....
200g chicken, 300g of noodles, straight to wok are the easiest, a large bag of stir fry veg, a piece of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic and a red chilli. First cook chicken then remove. Then reheat wok, add veg, garlic and chilli, about 8-10 minutes. Put chicken back in with cooked noodles, 4 tbsp soy sauce, I normally use dark as not as salty, 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, some fresh chopped coriander. Stir and coat everything then serve. :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
LOL Oh dear, David..... your reputation as a chef has already preceded you I am afraid. ;)

I know who grassed me up as well........... I was really not having a good day (excuse no 34 from the I-Spy book of pathetic excuses) and knowing that the pee was going to be mercilessly taken, really should not have said "oh by the way, bring yer own food......"

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Exactly, John - I did say that the Cadac experience was operator error; compounded by two of the world's best mickey takers as observers..........

As you say, it is about texture as well as taste - soggy stir fry is not very nice. You can get away without the precooking if it is sliced thinly enough, especially steak. Chicken we always precook.
Wot you tryin' to say

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Nuffink.............;)
liar.gif

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the reason most people struggle to get enough heat it the amount they try to cook when you look at a proper wok cooker the burners are huge and will cook large amounts
most resturant portions are not as big as you would want for a main meal for four
basicly you can put anything you want into a wok tonight i had ginger garlic mushrooms mange tout onion red pepper and fresh salmon mixed with some rice and oyster sauce it was lovely
we go to the chinese supermarket for big bottles of sauces much cheaper than buying elsewhere

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back