Woeful payload (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
The latest MMM has hit the mat and it contains reviews on next years motor homes.
There is a thing called Fleurette Winchester, it’s an A class. Estimated payload of 291 kg.
What use is this to anyone. The guff extols how big the garage is and all the usual crap. Honestly, this must be verging on criminal.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've worked out that as a rule of thumb, a couple need to have 400kgs of payload. Anything less and it will always be a inconvenient compromise to stay within the law.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I was asked the question about how much payload you should have and fair enough we all have different needs but a quick calculation and based on my requirements I reckon 1000kg isnt unreasonable..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was asked the question about how much payload you should have and fair enough we all have different needs but a quick calculation and based on my requirements I reckon 1000kg isnt unreasonable..

That would be a good amount, but the more you have, the less you worry about it and the more you carry. There are hundreds of vans sold to families, that should have at least 650kg but they have barely enough for a couple.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
291 kg? Dear me.

Is that before or after you allow for the Converter's margin. The 1kg itself smacks of desperation.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
And there are many out there that either don't understand GVW or payload. My BinL carries a 125CC scooter in his garage,, never weighed his 3500kg moho and goes into a huff if I mention it.
Being an ex-LGV1 driver I am acutely aware of the pitfalls after being stopped a few times (and been underweight) both in the UK and Europe.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That would be a good amount, but the more you have, the less you worry about it and the more you carry. There are hundreds of vans sold to families, that should have at least 650kg but they have barely enough for a couple.
Yes..mine was based on the ability to travel with full water diesel and gas..which are gradually consumed but caters for a worst case scenario..
There's only me travelling most of the time..
But as you say with a family that sharp cuts into any payload..

Andy.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We were very pleasantly surprised to find that our van had been weighed with all our extras plus half a tank of fuel and a full tank of lpg just before we collected it last week.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The latest MMM has hit the mat and it contains reviews on next years motor homes.
There is a thing called Fleurette Winchester, it’s an A class. Estimated payload of 291 kg.
What use is this to anyone. The guff extols how big the garage is and all the usual crap. Honestly, this must be verging on criminal.

Maybe so is paying a subscription to that rubbish verging on the criminal, to keep the flow of crap going out to the ignorant.

When did they last run an article describing payload calculations?

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We were very pleasantly surprised to find that our van had been weighed with all our extras plus half a tank of fuel and a full tank of lpg just before we collected it last week.

'Had been weighed' - by whom? Who was present, to confirm the tank contents?

Any people in it?

I would have wanted to be present.

I weigh ours with full water and fuel - nothing less is any use to me, as we wildcamp.

We still come out with another 150kg fully loaded.

Geoff

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I meant that I thought it was a very good thing for converters to do as it’s almost impossible to calculate from scratch. We had a better idea than most as we were buying a nearly identical van but it was a bigger engine, comformatic and a few different bits and bobs so it was still helpful but in answer to your question it was 3055kg.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
And there are many out there that either don't understand GVW or payload. My BinL carries a 125CC scooter in his garage,, never weighed his 3500kg moho and goes into a huff if I mention it.
Being an ex-LGV1 driver I am acutely aware of the pitfalls after being stopped a few times (and been underweight) both in the UK and Europe.
I know someone who drives 4 up on a 7.4 metre van on 3.5 tonnes with a couple of electric bikes in the garage...........

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
'Had been weighed' - by whom? Who was present, to confirm the tank contents?

Any people in it?

I would have wanted to be present.

I weigh ours with full water and fuel - nothing less is any use to me, as we wildcamp.

We still come out with another 150kg fully loaded.

Geoff
Obviously we will weigh it ourselves at our local weighbridge when fully loaded to be sure that we are happy as it is our responsibility. However I thought it was a helpful guide, they went into great detail at the handover what it did and did not include, and the figure was in keeping with our previous IH630RD but a bit heavier.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I meant that I thought it was a very good thing for converters to do as it’s almost impossible to calculate from scratch. We had a better idea than most as we were buying a nearly identical van but it was a bigger engine, comformatic and a few different bits and bobs so it was still helpful but in answer to your question it was 3055kg.
Thanks Carolyn, its just that with our IH 630RL I was told 500kg. Now this might have been before anything was added but after solar, awning, tow ball, bike rack, etc it weighed in at 3.4T. This was with 2 on board, full of fuel, no water, no bike, dog, etc. So I do have to be very careful and if we get pulled then the missus has offered to walk..(y)

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I wonder if the MOT will fail vans now that they have started weighing them , I've just had my van and car MOT'd and both where weighed and the axle weights put on the certificate.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I wonder if the MOT will fail vans now that they have started weighing them , I've just had my van and car MOT'd and both where weighed and the axle weights put on the certificate.

I think they then use the weight information as part of the calculation about brake performance. ( As a percentage calculation. Can’t remember the exact phrase.)
So after seeing these weights on our van’s first MOT, made a mental note to present it as light weight as possible next year.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Carolyn, its just that with our IH 630RL I was told 500kg. Now this might have been before anything was added but after solar, awning, tow ball, bike rack, etc it weighed in at 3.4T. This was with 2 on board, full of fuel, no water, no bike, dog, etc. So I do have to be very careful and if we get pulled then the missus has offered to walk..(y)

We weighed our 630RL after Rear air assist and a solar panel was fitted and it came out at almost dead on 3000kg.

But we add a 125cc motor scooter on the back so we have had it uprated to 4500kg.

For us 500kg would be very marginal.

291kg would be farcical in my opinion for any motorhome.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just had second MOT on my Moho, no weighing involved no weight on certificate!!
Is it an optional requirement by vosa on the MOT’s

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back